“Awful service and never leaves on time”

Smith’s Ferry Services
Ranked #23 of 39 things to do in Road Town
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The 12:15 ferry from West End to St. John left at 1:15. They lost someone's luggage and another passenger literally had to leave and grab another boat in order to make his flight. They don't care that they leave on time and not sure they care about their passengers or their belongings either.

1  Thank Babs35
in 4 reviews
"fuel"
"docks"

Reviewed October 16, 2012

The boat is OK (do not expect to find Titanic like luxury) but on our way back the sea was very bumpy (a storm was going over the islands) and we were a bit concerned to see the captain come out of his booth with a nice drink on his hand and somewhat drunk. He said he was the owner of the line, but the impression of seeing him drunk on such see was certainly not very reassuring!! If the US Coast Guard would audit the place they would probably have some concerns too!!! :-)

Reviewed October 16, 2012

If you are headed from the U.S. to the BVI, I would avoid using St.Thomas airport, the taxi service and the ferries. There are no individual taxis. You are herded into 12 or 15 passenger vans. You stand in the heat to wait for the ferry and again for customs and immigration. The ferries are old and run down without A/C. Water can be very rough. Fly to Tortola. Avoid accessing the BVI through the USVI.

2  Thank Creative1314
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I just wished I had the reviews of this ferry company before I went to the BVI! Arriving at the ferry terminal in St. Thomas from the airport we stood around in the heat for over an hour trying to get a ticket for the ferry to Tortola. and even thought we arrived before other people, the employees were helping the locals before us. When we did get tickets, my husband booked a return ticket, and informed the employee of the time of our return flight. The ferry employee booked us on a return 12.00 noon ferry leaving from the West End of Tortola. on the day of our departure, my husband went to the Road town ferry terminal to see if could change our tickets to leave from there instead of the west end, and he was informed that there was no such thing as a noon ferry! We went to the west end ferry terminal to find out when our ferry was leaving, only to be informed that the ferry had " broken down" and that they would have put us on a different ferry co. this ferry would take us to St. John first and then we would have to unload our luggage for customs then get back on the boat to St. Thomas. the ferry rep was evasive and uninformative and deliberately lied to us about when the ferry left and when we would get to St. Thomas. They said the ferry would leave the West End at 12.30 and arrive at St. Thomas at 1.30 pm. the ferry left at 12.45 and the ferry left St. John at 1.30 pm. My flight was leaving at 2.45 pm - I arrived at the airport at 2.21pm. Luckily for me the plane was having mechanical issues and was delayed an hour and 1/2 and I made my plane. Lesson learned - never believe a word the ferry co. Tells you and never buy a phantom return ticket! Such a bad taste left in my mouth after having such a lovely holiday in the BVI.

1  Thank Alison O
See more reviews
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We took the ferry from St. Thomas to Tortola on our honeymoon, we got there at 1:45 and we were informed that the 2:30 was not running and we would have to wait for the 4PM ferry. We waiting and the 4PM ferry did not leave until 4:30PM. Once we arrived on Tortola we were told by many locals that the ferry service is not very reliable and is an issue that they have been having lately. It is unfortunately the easiest and most cost effective way to get to Tortola so many people will have to deal with the ferry issues. I hope they have it sorted out by the next time we visit.

1  Thank Lauren L