“Unsafe at any speed”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Unsafe at any speed”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I took this ferry in July, from Road Town to Virgin Gorda on a Sunday afternoon in July. Things were fine on the way over, but the return trip was a nightmare. After boarding a huge group of cricket revelers began packing the boat. Many were drunk. They all made a move for the top deck, which was quickly over-occupied. Regardless of where people situated themselves, there were just too many people on board. On the return trip to Road Town, the ferry nearly toppled over two or three times. It was awful. There were so many small children on board. There was no evidence of floatation devices. The ferry operators were negligent in allowing the top deck to get so packed, which knocked the boat out of balance, and, in general, allowing too many people to get on the boat in general. There are other ferries to Virgin Gorda -- take them.

1 Thank travelhappy919

Chicago, Illinois, United States
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Reliable Service”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

During our stay on Tortola we used Smith's several times to get to other islands. The schedule always seemed to be reliable.

Visited August 2012
Tortola
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Alternative to Smith's Ferry”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The "Bomba Charger" has been operating as a ferry between St. Thomas and Tortola for over 30 years; and it shows. OK it's a fast commute but needs some TLC and more comfortable seating. Road Town Fast Ferry operate the same route with newer vessels.

1 Thank Littlejohn511
St. Thomas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Terrible Service”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and I planned to take Smith's Ferry from Tortola to Anegada on a Thursday, as we were hoping to travel from St Thomas to Anegada in one day, and the other ferry service does not run on Thursday. Before booking my hotel in Anegada for Thursday night, I called Smith's Ferry and also emailed Marjorie Smith to confirm the days and times I found on their online schedule. I know that it is always best to call ahead and confirm, especially in the low summer season in the islands. Marjorie emailed back that yes, the days and times I wanted were still active. When I spoke to Smith's Ferry on the phone I was told that their schedule is the same as it has been for the last 10 years. This was about a week and a half before our intended travel day. On the day of travel, we were sitting on the ferry to Tortola when Shona from Anegada's Neptune's Treasure hotel (where we had reservations for that night) called to inquire about our arrival time and how we were getting there. When I told her the 3:30 ferry from Tortola, she informed me that Smith's Ferry was no longer running on Thursdays! Apparently the government cancelled their contract with Smith's Ferry about a week ago. When my husband called Marjorie to see what we should do, she said maybe wait around on the dock and see if some boat was going over to Anegada. It's an hour ride and I was not going to go on some random boat. We had to stay in Tortola overnight to catch Speedy's ferry the next morning, and stay an extra day on Anegada (not so bad!) because Speedy's only runs Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Fortunately we swapped our night at Neptune's Treasure so we were not charged for not showing up Thursday night. Long story short, always call ahead to confirm plans on the islands, and then still be open to the unexpected!

1 Thank WaterCandy
South
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“First time with Smiths”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

First time taking Smith's from St Thomas to Road Town. Pretty well organized and easy to work with. Timing was right on with schedule. Smooth easy ride over.