“Great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dove Restaurant

Dove Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 36 Restaurants in Road Town
Cuisines: Fusion, Seafood, Sushi
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Fusion Modern cuisine, craft cocktails, an impressive wine list and the best service around!
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Never expected to find such a wonderful restaurant here. Delightful ambiance, terrific food, overall wonderful experience. Definitely will go back if I'm back n Road Town.

Clinton, New Jersey
“One of the Best Dinners Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We made reservations to eat at the Dove Restaurant & Wine Bar based on a strong recommendations from my nephew and neice who had done some research on good restaurants in Road Town and had eaten dinner there the week before. We dined last Saturday night (April 6th) and were charmed by the atmosphere of this small restaurant and delighted with the food. The selections were creative, the treatment (sauce, accompanying sides) delightful, and all 4 of us felt it was an outstanding experience. The service was excellent, the bartender very friendly and accommodating. All in all it was a wonderful evening and I would highly recommend, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
Tortola
“My Madeleine Moment at The Dove”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

“But at the instant when the mouthful of tea laced with cake crumbs touched my palate, I trembled, aware of an extraordinary sensation inside me...It instantly made the vicissitudes of life seem unimportant, its disasters inoffensive, its brevity illusory, similar to how love operates, it filled me with a precious spirit: or rather, the spirit wasn’t in me, it was me. I ceased to feel mediocre, incidental, mortal.”—Marcel Proust, La Recherche du Temps Perdu (my translation)

It’s rare when I don’t have the words to describe something, but when our waitress from The Dove Restaurant in Tortola walked up to our private alcove table on a Friday night to see if everything was okay, I couldn’t speak. I placed my hands over my mouth and closed my eyes which made her ask, “Is it too hot?” I opened my eyes and shook my head then closed them again. I didn’t want to focus on anything except the overwhelming sensation of well-being that the flavours had incited.

Unlike Proust’s narrator, who at first is only able to place the sensation but not the memory that his tea-dipped madeleine provoked, I knew right away the meal that had caused me to time travel. In 1996, I was a poor college student living in NYU’s off-campus, mostly graduate-student-inhabited dorms near Bellevue Hospital. Few of us could afford groceries. For dinner, I usually heated up a can of Progresso minestrone soup, made tolerable with a dash of Old Bay seasoning, the famous spice blend from Baltimore often used to flavour crabs—a link to home. Other than that, hot tea and hand-rolled cigarettes comprised my diet. My roommate Laura’s midnight snack consisted of Kraft singles dipped into salsa. Going to Mamoun’s for $6 falafel was a treat.

One Sunday, my next door neighbour Rocco Romano (yes, that’s his real name), offered to make an authentic Italian meal for me. Knowing Rocco to be as cash-strapped as the rest of us, I told him it wasn’t necessary, but he insisted and promised it would be inexpensive. Having grown up in a large Italian-American family in Hicksville, Long Island, Rocco had learned how to prepare a feast with very little money.

His dish, called “macaroni and peas” had six simple ingredients: pasta, frozen peas, red onion, parmesan, and butter. Later, when reading an article about fettuccine Alfredo, I learned that the original dish first served at Alfredo alla Scofa in Rome in 1914 simply consisted of fettuccine, butter and parmesan tossed together until the butter and cheese melted and combined to make the Alfredo, as opposed to the cream-based sauce in restaurants today. The true Alfredo was similar to what Rocco had concocted with the macaroni and peas. At the time, at NYU, I felt absolutely spoiled for eating a dinner that hadn’t come out of a can.

On a Friday night over fifteen years later at The Dove Restaurant in the British Virgin Islands, I ordered Chef Travis Phillips’ vegetarian plate without asking what he’d prepared because I knew it would be delicious. Macaroni and peas it was not. Rather, the dish consisted of a small mountain of homemade gnocchi interspersed with cauliflower, mushrooms, peas, and red onions topped with shaved parmesan and surrounded by a moat of what I’d call a tomato cream tetrazzini sauce. For my first bite off the top, though, I’d only had a butter-coated gnocchi ball, onion, peas, and parmesan.

Since my NYU days, I’ve made Rocco’s specialty for my sisters, friends, and lovers, and they love it as much as I do. But I’ve never flashed back to Rocco’s 26th Street kitchen/living room combo, his deep “yheh, yheh, yheh” laugh, walking the twenty blocks to class each day, breathing the simultaneously crisp and fume-filled air in winter and feeling for the first time (of many) that I had to leave Baltimore in order to be a writer.

Perhaps I’ve never had the Proustian moment because I’ve always been the one to cook the macaroni and peas, so I couldn’t be caught by surprise. Proust wonders of his madeleines, “maybe because, having often seen them since, without eating them, on bakery shelves, their image had become disassociated from their days at Combray and linked themselves to more recent ones.” For me, macaroni and peas had never left their association with Rocco, and I’m sure his name was mentioned every single time I prepared the dish. But maybe that was it—I was attaching the macaroni and peas to Rocco and not my own experience.

Or maybe it’s because Travis’s dish captured the feeling of decadence that the original had summoned. This was, after all, dinner at one of the finest restaurants in the Caribbean, and I was a cash-strapped editor living on my own in the less-than-cheap British Virgin Islands. The only reason I was having dinner at The Dove was because my friend James, who worked in a law firm and had a roommate, treated me for my birthday.

In my mouth, that first bite of homemade gnocchi dissolved, and so did the walls of the restaurant, along with James, the window overlooking Main Street, the Caribbean heat, my broken leg, failed marriage, and the inability to trust again. What I experienced, what Proust calls the "immense edifice of memory” sprung forth by that one taste was a return to that penniless 22-year-old NYU student who wrote poems about sidewalks, elevators, and the cadences of all the languages she didn’t speak, the girl who hated the cold but felt she had to live in Manhattan, the girl who, on that one day, thanks to a simple recipe and a generous, ridiculously named friend, had finally felt at home in New York.

Thank you to Chef Travis Phillips and The Dove Restaurant for reminding me.

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank Traci O
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Omaha, Nebraska, United States
“Off The Charts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a wonderful dining experience. Our waiter was very attentive, making sure we enjoyed our experience. The environment is pure Island, relaxing, friendly and somewhat eclectic. The food was presented very well and tasted fantastic. Very enjoyable as usual.