Review Highlights
Fantastic experience!

I have been on quite a few liveaboards and the Cuan Law is as comfortable as they get. The food was... read more

Reviewed August 27, 2018
Lois H
Victoria, Canada
Would give it Six Stars, if I could!

Reviewed August 1, 2018
Ron J
Katy, Texas

All reviews dive sites hobie cat live aboard experience liveaboard experience captain scott crew members ship wrecks dive master private bath high protein local dive shop served buffet style water skiing dive trip giant stride fairy tale virgin gorda
Reviewed August 27, 2018

The food was amazing and I think Chef Kellie was responsible for everyone onboard gaining a few pounds!
The staterooms are spacious and were made up every day. The heads were clean and comfortable to move around in.
There were numerous other activities offered but the boat was mostly hardcore divers. Captain Scott adjusted the itinerary for us and we were able to go to some sites that are seldom dived.
The BVI's have come a long way to recovering after the destruction that Irma caused.
I can't wait to get back to my new favorite place in the Caribbean!

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed August 1, 2018

The only thing missing on the Cuan Law Liveaboard dive trip were the billowing sails! Beginning with the crew consisting of Captain Scott Kelly , the INCREDIBLY talented Chef Kelly, First mate and Co-captain Chris, dive master extraordinaire Reka, the most capable Ariel Chief Engineer, the lovely Kellie as Steward and CHRISTINA the Steward were all over-the-top. A really accommodating and professional crew!

The meals were always exceptional as Chef Kellie deftly accommodated our low carb and high protein requests. And Exceptional is an understatement. REALLY excellent and unique provision! We had a Filet that was better than any steak I have had in Texas!

Diving was scheduled totally around OUR schedules, likes, and abilities. Our group is used to 5 daily dives, but we learned to appreciate the slower pace of the Cuan Law. The BVI reefs were still a bit beat up, but still worth diving. Not a lot to photograph…and when one resorts to photographing a lobster….well, that’s a barren underwater landscape! Not a lot of fish….
The Wreck of the Rhone is a MUST-DO do for all divers. She is strewn around the bottom, but still a fine dive.

I enjoy liveaboard diving because of the lack of the “Sucking Sound” of money flying out of my wallet! We’ve been doing liveaboards for nearly 30 years! But the landing in St. Thomas and getting To the Cuan Law was a series of $5, $10 and $20 tips…yes….that sucking sound was there! (Most liveaboard operators meet us at the airport and transport us to and from their boat…alleviating that sucking sound!). But other than that it was a great great great adventure with Club ED!

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed July 31, 2018

First, a bit about me and my diving experience. This was my 8th Liveaboard trip since I certified in 2009, and I have around 240 dives under my belt. We are blessed to go each year with a tightly knit group of friends from all over the US, plus one from Germany, and we look forward to it as the vacation highlight of our year.

The Crew: In short, they were excellent. Captain Scott, Chef Kelly, First Mate, Co-Captain, and Dive Master Chris, Dive Master Reka, Engineer Ariel, and Stewards Kellie and Christina, never stopped working to ensure everyone's needs were looked after, in fine fashion. Crewing a liveaboard dive operation is hard work that only ceases when they can lay their heads on the pillow each night, after very long days. They remained friendly and accommodating at all times, and worked very well together as a team. Kudos to the Crew!

The Food: Liveaboard diving is generally renowned for the cuisine. And when Kelly is "manning" the galley, the Cuan Law is certainly no exception. She prepared true gourmet dishes with exceptional blends of herbs and spices, cooked them to perfection, and plated suppers worthy of magazine cover photos (breakfast and lunch are served buffet style). Even dishes based on things that I am usually not a big fan of, I found to be quite tasty and appealing. And she accommodated all requests for alternate items for those in the group that were on low carb, high protein, etc., diets. And the on-shore cookout Friday afternoon was really good! In summary - the food was outstanding, all week long!

The Boat:
The boat is awesome. The Salon is spacious and comfortable with easy access to ice and cold beverages at all times. The Cabins are the largest I've seen on a liveaboard. The air conditioning in the Salon suffers a bit because the doors to the deck are always open; however, this is really a non-issue; we were there in late July, and it was quite tolerable. And while the cabins do not have individual thermostats, I found them to be quite comfortable for sleeping - and I sleep best at home with the temperature set at 67 DegF.

The Diving: The Cuan Law is different than most liveaboards, in this regard. 1 to 2 people are geared up at a time, and the pace is a bit slower than what we've been accustomed. It was a little awkward the first day, but we quickly fell into a natural pattern/order that made this a non-issue. The BVIs were hammered hard by Irma last year, and the reefs do show it. So, it's not Belize, and it's not Palau, but there were still plenty of things to see and enjoy on the dives. Diving the Rhone at night was definitely the highlight of the diving for the week.

Other: Having the opportunity to do something other than "Dive! Dive! Dive!" was actually welcomed change for me, and the primary reason for the title of this review. I sailed the Hobie Cats and took my wife and another friend for rides on a couple of afternoons. Other members of our party had fun being towed behind a tender on the large inflatable. I flew my drone in chase and captured some pretty cool video. The large rock jump was also fun to watch; I videoed it from the drone, as well.

In overall summary, the Cuan Law was a great experience for us. While initially concerned about the lighter diving schedule, I soon figured out that I was quite okay with fewer dives over the course of the week, as I wound up much less fatigued at the end of each day. Afterall, aren't vacations supposed to be relaxing? If you're hardcore and looking to make 25+ dives over the week, then this probably isn't for you. But if you haven't tried a more laid back approach, consider it - you just might like it. We surely did!

Date of experience: July 2018
Kim H, Manager at Cuan Law, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2018

Thanks so much for this review which we think really captures what it is that we do :-)

Reviewed July 7, 2018

Kudos to a great team of professional staff, who despite recovering from the devastation of the hurricanes, provided a wonderful experience. It is explained Cuan Law is not a dive intense liveaboard, but offering 3 dives(versus 4-5 on other boats) per day plus numerous other water activities in addition to hiking opportunities. Especially for less experienced divers, the waters/dives are calm and easy. A nice variety of wrecks as well as dive sites for those seeking macro opportunities. The dive professionals took extra time to keep watch for sea life which held particular interest to the divers. I was initially apprehensive about diving from the tenders. No problem, as the Captain kept those dives to a minimum (just the Rhone and a couple of night dives). Even so, those were handled well. Our non-diver guests enjoyed overwhelmingly popular snorkeling at least twice daily and we all appreciated the crew's willingness to bring out the stand up paddle boards, Hobie Cats and pull-behind tubes. Obviously the crew would captain the Hobie's for guests if they preferred. The food was superb. Glad it was only my luggage being weighed on the return trip! I cannot compliment enojgh the humor and relaxed atmosphere of the staff all the while working working working to keep us diving, entertained and happy. We enjoyed the fabulous bar-b-que at the beach and tour of the Baths (or Devil's Point if guests preferred). While we were away from the boat, we returned to find the crew had expertly washed and hung our gear!!!!!! I am very particular about this process, and can attest even after storing my gear for two more days in a suitcase and flying home, it smelled as if I had just packed it for the trip! WOW! If you want an easy, less intense focus on diving, consider strongly the Cuan Law. They also took us to dives sites many operators cannot access. The hiking opportunities were fabulous.
Five Stars to Cuan Law!

Date of experience: June 2018
1  Thank DivepinkTravel
Reviewed July 5, 2018

My wife and I joined a group of friends for our second live aboard experience and we thoroughly enjoyed our time on the Cuan Law. The crew were simply the best. Scott, the captain, had a wonderful sense of British humor and did an outstanding job managing all facets of the trip. Kellie kept us incredibly well fed. She was able to present a variety of cuisines throughout the course of the week which is amazing considering the space in which she was working. Chris, the dive master, was great in terms of how he led the dives. Reka,Christina and Abbie were warm and engaging and always looked out for our needs. The other guests were great to be with as well. In addition to the dives, there were opportunities for other water activities as well as a land trip to The Baths. The cabins were pretty roomy for a live aboard.

Date of experience: June 2018