“Awesome day sail”
Review of Patouche Charters

Patouche Charters
Ranked #7 of 64 Tours in Tortola
More attraction details
Owner description: The BEST DaySail provider in the BVI! Come as Guests, Leave as Friends is our motto and we know you will feel the same after a day at sea with our crew:)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I've been on 5 day sails with Joe on Patouche Charters. Each of them has been awesome which is why we keep going back. He's friendly, knowledgeable about the islands and goes out of his way to ensure all guests enjoy their trip. I'd definately recommend a day sail with him - great way to see the beautiful islands of the BVI.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We took the Virgin Gorda snorkle trip (or so we thought) from Peter Island. They book guest group trips on Thursdays. When we arrived on the boat we were demanded to take our shoes off with no other welcome. The boat guide, Joe, then barked out some orders and we took off. We heard him on the phone complaining that someone had not brought their lunch and when he finished the call we advised him we did not either. He demandingly sayd "why not?" We then explained that the resort employee Collen told us we would be able to purchase lunch on Virgin Gorda island. He then stated his annoyance and anger and that Collen had never been on his tour and should not have told us that.

He complained about having to bring the dingy boat to go get us lunch....he then anchored the boat and raced off in the dingy to get the lunch at a restaurant on another island. We were about an hour or so from Virgin Gorda and while it was nice, it was not what we signed up to do. After quite some time there, we took of for Virgin Gorda, finally.

Once we arrived at Virtin Gorda at the Baths, the guide, Joe, barked at everyone to come to the front and quickly explained some things about the Baths. When people asked questions, he was irritated and snapped something like "didn't you hear my spill..?" We then swam to the beach and my husband was putting on his water shoes, which he snapped "you don't need those." My husband stated he did and Joe ordered him to go sit down on a particular rock and put them on....turns out we did need them and everyone was stating how they wished they had some shoes. The race through the baths took us over rocks, old wooden decking, in the water, and was a little workout.

Once we were raced through the tour, we were instructed to follow the guide and snorkle. This was after he told everyone if they wanted their picture at the popular scenic spot, there were plenty of pics on their website and we could photo shop ourselves in. Someone asked how long we had to snorkle and stay at the Baths and he snapped "I will tell you when we get finished with my tour." Well, we had very little time as it turned out, we went right back to the boat! He was then spraying water on people as they got back on the boat and even sprayed us right in the face.

So much for a Virgin Gorda experience!! There was in fact a restautant we could have eaten lunch at, and there was a little bar and some vendors. Yet we wasted most of the day at another location and spent very little time at The Baths.

The guide also complained about having to book Peter Island every Thursday and it's not worth it unless there are 20 or so people and it's terrible when only 4 want the tour...he loses money...yapped about how he doesn't have to pay taxes, made a lot of money in New Orleans, and was in the Navy. He snapped at everyone to the point everyone was commenting how rude he was. He broke a beer bottle and cut his hand and then threw the broken bottle in the ocean instead of the trash. When it was close to time to pull in at Peter Island he was passing out rum punch (spilling it all over my feet and others) and put out a tip jar.

At the end of the trip I asked him if he wanted us to mention to Collen at Peter Island the lunch issue as most people while eating their sandwiches said they wished they had the fish and chips we got. He said no and that he was going to be talking to management.....we told Peter Island anyway and they stated they had been looking for someone else to do the tour for some time so ours must not have been the only bad experience. They inquired of others on the tour (as the others advised us) and were told the same things we stated: this Tour guide was RUDE and we did not get the tour we paid for at the Baths as we were rushed through and did not have any time to enjoy the island. TAKE ANOTHER TOUR!

2  Thank Beaches03
Patouche C, Owner at Patouche Charters, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

I apologize to these guests of my trip from 25th of July that thought of me as "rude". I have done this contracted trip for guests of the Peter Island Resort every Thursday for the past 14 going on 15 years and have had countless positive reviews (just scroll down). The guests are provided lunch by the Resort, these guests decided to not have the packed lunch and yes we did accommodate them by delivering their lunch (via dinghy) from the Cooper Island Beach Club (which does not even do take out). The reason we were at Cooper Island is that the Snorkeling is AWESOME there and the fact that on the 25th of July there was a cruise ship in Tortola which would have meant "The Baths" would have been inundated with cruise ship guests in the morning. We avoid The Baths on those days, arriving in the afternoon after the cruise ship passengers head back to their ship. Every passenger on my tour takes off their shoes prior to boarding, water shoes actually are more of a hindrance while taking my personally guided tour through the Baths as most everyone has better "traction" on some of the rocks with bare feet than with a wet shoe. The "spraying water in her face" is actually our "fresh water shower" that every guest loves, when done swimming we rinse off the salt water, she certainly could have opted out of the "shower". I personally send all of my guests a thank you note for choosing Patouche and asking to email me with any comments or constructive criticisms. Unfortunately she did not want to discuss these problems with me during our 7 hour trip, or once home send me an email with her concerns and instead chose this venue to air her grievances. I am terribly sorry that she did not get the daysail experience she thought she was paying for and I will do my best to insure that future guests have a great time like the other 100 or so positive reviews we have.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We chartered Patouche simply because they were the only outfit willing to work during the off season. Our expectations were far exceeded. From the time Captain Joe picked us up at the dock to the time they dropped us off, we were catered too and made to feel like family. We were absolutely impressed with the professionalism and attention to detail. They constantly ensured we were safe, happy and pampered. We will return ASAP. It was absolutely one of the best days of our trip to the BVI.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went out with Captain Joe and the Patouche II and had an excellent time! Great snorkelling and Joe knows the history of all the islands. Planning on doing a second trip this vacation. Thanks for the great time Joe!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I discovered Patouche and Captain Joe by reading trip advisor reviews. We called him up while in Tortola and everything good that is said about Joe is true. He is a great guy, professional, friendly, caring and it felt like he was an old friend. We enjoyed his story time about the history of the BVI. He is so attentive to each person onboard. He runs around like the energizer bunny, checking if you need another drink. He deeply cares that everyone has the best experience possible. He even knows everyone by name almost instantly. Another thing that sets him apart from other day sails is that he participates with you. When we arrived at "The Baths" in Virgin Gorda, after getting everyone snorkeled up, he snorkeled with the group to shore and then led us on a walking tour thru the boulders, telling us what each different part was called. Then he led us on a snorkel tour. We had an awesome time and would definitely choose Patouche again. You will be safe and in good hands with Captain Joe.