“Over-priced, moldy-smelling, crappy service.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tortola
Treasure Isle Hotel
Ranked #24 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Newburyport, Massachusetts, United States
“Over-priced, moldy-smelling, crappy service.”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Stayed here only one night, thank goodness. Unwelcoming front desk staff. Anti-customer policies like no breakfast til 7:30am. Yet staff blasted poolside DJ music for their own "happy hour" enjoyment (no guests) until 11pm. Dinner overpriced and less than average quality. Nearly non-existent water pressure in the shower; no tub. Front desk not staffed for early checkout; weird policies that are not designed to serve guests. Take a pass if you can!!

• Stayed April 2012
5 Thank Judy K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ottawa
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I am a traveling business man for the past 12 years and have stayed at a few different Hotels in the BVI. Mostly stayed at Maria's By the Sea which is descent for the most part. The past couple of times I've decided to stay at a more expensive Hotel to hopefully get better service, internet, food and accommodations. The accommodation part is definitely superior at Treasure Isle as the Hotel is still quite new (new addition).

ROOM: **** (4 star)
I was pleased to find out that they had upgraded me to a Suite upon arrival since they claimed that they were all sold out. The room and view are spectacular and I was overlooking Road Town from the balcony. The bathroom was stylish and really nice. The room was quite large with a huge wall of glass overlooking Tortola, the hotel and pool. It was lacking the fridge, microwave conveniences of most common hotels.

Restaurant: ** (2 star)
The first morning at the restaurant, I found that hey had a buffet which was quite pleasant since you didn't really have to wait for service to get served. However, I arrived a little late apparently and they were almost out of everything so I took what was available. The breakfast was overpriced at USD $16.00 for what I had but whatever, it was already too late. I also had to chase the waitresses for the bill as they were busy chatting to themselves.

The second attempt to the restaurant was also unpleasant. I did arrive early enough and it was a busy morning. The Buffet table was surrounded and I didn't have much time. So I tried to get there before everything was gone again but was too late. I was again left with leftovers for an overpriced Buffet menu.

INTERNET: * (1 star)
I am writing this from a different location because the internet at this Hotel has been virtually (null) impossible to use at best!!! For me, as a business traveler and family man, I rely on internet communication to conduct business and contact with loved ones back home. Unfortunately, this was not possible at this location despite contacting the front desk every night and asking for resolution each day for 3 days straight (so far). I have now expressed my discontent and am seriously considering changing location (Maria's By The Sea) where I know I have a few different internet option if needed. I am not trying to promote MBTS but quite frankly, I need to do business and contact my family daily. The only explanation given after 3 days of complaining was that it was a problem from the internet provider. I advised them that they should really consider changing providers as I am already considering changing establishments if the problem is not addressed shortly. (I don't think they cared)

SERVICE: ** (2 STAR)
This is pretty average throughout the Caribbean Islands. This hotel did not provide any services above the standard.

Value: *** (3 STAR)
The price is descent as it is a newer hotel and has the potential of being a (4 star) hotel if the appropriate measures are taken. Unfortunately I have to give it a 3 star between the lack of internet and service.

SLEEP QUALITY: *** (3 STAR)
The king size bed I had was simply amazing. The blankets, comforter and pillows were some of the best quality I have seen in Hotels. The room was a little noisy because of the front window wall. One morning I was awoken by what seemed to be a maintenance guy trying to (whipper sniper) the landscape at 4:00am. I thought at first that he had came in early and was testing his equipment but he kept going till 5:30am. Shortly after that, my alarm rang so I very tired throughout the day. Other than that 1 day, everything else was OK.

CLEANLINESS: **** (4 STAR)
Overall no complaints on cleanliness..

LOCATION: **** (4 STAR)
Conveniently located in Tortola with a spectacular view if you get the up-scaled room. Everything is pretty close if you conduct business downtown. There are Hotels closer to downtown which provides closer choices for entertainment or meals.

FITNESS CENTER: (0 STAR)
I don't believe the hotel has a fitness center (other than the outside pool).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank Pablo_Romano
tortola
Reviewed January 27, 2012

it looks like they haven't done anything the last 20 years. the place is acctualy very nice, but aaparently the owners just want to take the money out, or be their own guests at the bar. no attention at all to the customer. dont' expect any service

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank m r

Travelers are raving about these Tortola hotels

Miramar, Florida
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Attended my cousin's 60th birthday party at the hotel. Great accommodation but on the service side a lot has to be done. The young lady checking me in was not familiar with Opera, the hotel's operating software. Paid an extra $50 for a 3rd person in the room but had to remind reception to get us extra towel. The hot water was not turned on a telephone call was required to deal with this.

We departed early and there was no one in the lobby at all.

Overall not a bad place to stay if you are not depending on service from the staff.

Room Tip: The rooms in the upper building I am sure will have amazing views
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Franklyn E
Woodland
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We stayed at this hotel before and after a sailboat charter with another couple. We chose a deluxe room. The rooms are newly remodeled and the view is spectacular. The lighting is very poor. There is no light at the computer desk where it is most needed.
The service is non-existing. We arrived at night. We in rooms 508 & 509 top of the hill.
After waiting 40 minutes for someone to take our bags up the steep road to our room we asked if we could use the golf cart. We had to move all our luggage our selves.
Not an easy task up the dirt road in the dark.
We had dinner at the hotel restaurant. Very over priced! $38.00 for swordfish and it was not fresh it had been frozen. My friend and I could not finish it, that bad. The girls had shrimp, also had been frozen. We were very disappointed with the meal. We recommend Charlie’s at the Moorings, Village Key Bar & Grill or Charlie T’s at Pusser’s Landing.
Avoid the Hotel restaurant!
At 3:00am sharp the roosters start crowing / loudly. Not sure wy the don,t move them?
On the return it was the same problem. Waited 30 minutes for someone to take our bags to our rooms. Finally a young women drove us up the Hill to our rooms but lacked the physical strength to move our bags up the stairs to our rooms.
Asked were certain places were in Tortola, no one had a clue. At check out, same thing, no bell service.
If you must use this hotel we would recommend getting a room closer to the office so you don’t have to lug your gear so far. Not sure if those rooms are remolded.
Hope this is helpful for future travelers to Tortola

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank mejamman
Barbados
Reviewed December 3, 2011

The rooms here are fabulous, the decor is above standard for the Caribbean. It is very comfortable both for sleeping and for working. The bathroom area is nice as well. The staff at the restaurant for breakfast are pleasant, the service is fast, coffee is strong and food is OK, not over the top, but definitely Ok. The pool area is lovely. The lobby is air conditioned. The cleaning staff are pleasant. My disappointment was with check-in. The hotel is located in the side of a hill so there are lots of stairs (not a problem), no elevator, but the problem is NO BAG BOY. So at 6:30 P.M when I checked in for a week with my 40 lbs suitcase and my 15 lbs computer bad the young lady walked in front of me to show me my room and I was met with a great big staircase and not an extra hand to lift anything. I finally asked her if she could carry my computer so I could use both hands to get the suitcase up the steep flight of stairs. My recommendation to management would be 1) Have a bag boy, my arrival time was no surprise. or 2) build a ramp so bags can be wheeled up. It seems when they were building the hotel they overlooked the fact that guests come with luggage. I also found that the ladies at the front desk had a bit of that 'you're inconveniencing me attitude', some service training would also be good. The other thing that disappointed me was the sound of traffic from my room, I would have moved further away from the road, the problem was that I would have to climb up more stairs to get to the higher rooms in the hill without help, so I decided to stay where i am. The view is lovely, not sure if the windows are double glazed, but I think that when you come to a beautiful island like this the last thing you expect is the noise you get from the rooms on the first floor.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 22, 2011

It was a very nice and quite hotel with well mannered service. Great location during the time that I visited *Carnival* and nice views. I would def. stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends