“Paradise!!”
Review of The Tamarind Club

The Tamarind Club
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Tortola

May , 2008
Traveler: From Chicago Illinois.

We recently just returned from Tortola BVI where we stayed at the Tamarind Club, its not a big Hotel only 9 rooms which are as far as Im concerned all poolside.

We arrived late in the evening so we were greeted by our bartender and we were directed to our rooms..

In the morning as we opened our doors a banana tree is right outside our room and every room faces a very large fresh water pool. Tamarind is located on the east end of Tortola which by the way if you've not done Island travel prepare for mountanous terrain and a fun ride to your destination!

Nestled on some hills it is quaintly hidden from view with local shrubbery and trees, the morning sound of palm trees, roosters and peacocks in the distance brings nothing but tranquilty to your soul. (recently been through several stomach surgical procedures this is just what I needed)

Cindy the owner and her crew which includes her two kids go above and beyond to make you feel right at home and this is just what I needed. Please note that this is not a five star resort..you help your self to the morning continental set-up and if you need something just ask for it.....stop being in such a hurry...

The philosphy here is forget normal life and the every day hassle of our hectic and crazy work and lifestyles you have arrived in paradise and Island life. The meals take a bit longer to cook than other places... BUT THIS IS OKAY because it is worth the wait everything is FRESH and belive me each bit of every meal that we had was FOODGASMIC!!!

Joshias Bay : the nearest beach to Tamrind is about a 15min walk down a hillside road as you walk down the hills you hear peacocks pass horses and several local beatiful homes that sit above the hills above you...Joshias Bay/Beach is beautiful..

Sunday at the Tamrind Club: after spending time at the island everyone that we met would tell us see you Sunday...well it turns out that Brunch at Tamarind is well known through out the islands by locals and other tourist who show up from other hotels because off the buzz through out the island.. vanilla/rum French toast melted in my mouth!! mmmmm loved it...

I would like to Thank Cindy, Catie, Clint and Eric for their hospitality, and please know that I will be back again. I am glad to have chosen your place to visit and to have the opportunity to have met you...oh yes Love my birthday cake thank you for surprising me with an awesome birthday cake !

Keep up the great work!!
Sincerely

Rob (aka RUB)

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Tamarind Club

Reviewed May 16, 2008

From getting to tortola. You start to think about how you will ever find a nice place...then you get to the tamarind...So beautiful, in such a nice spot. The food is the best ive had anywhere in the semi-area..And Everyone there is so helpful, kind, and very down to earth. My entire stay was made into heaven on earth, just because of this resort. We didnt know actually what to do in the area, and the owners daughter and son took us all over, and treated us to a private boat, and then swimming with dolphins..It was AMAZING

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank SmokeJaguar
Reviewed May 16, 2008

I booked this vacation for myself and a very, very sick relative. I had no problem booking my room.
When I showed up at the secluded and beautiful Tamarind Club; all our expectations were surpassed.
This jewel of a quaint hideaway; gave me the escape we needed. I stayed in a room close to the pool; and it had all the amenities that you would expect.
The pool was cleaner than any pool in the States, and place was in impeccable upkeep.
The staff made every consideration to make my very sick relative comfortable, and went out of the way for his dietary and medical needs.
The only thing that I regret is not winding down to Island time soon enough to capture the beautiful tropical setting for this secret in the Caribbean. If my situation permitted me I would return as often as I could.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2008

Welcome to the Tamerind club:
We arrived late due to airport problems. We weren't greeted by anyone. Finally got our room @ 10:00pm The locals were drinking and smoking at the bar with the police, my wife and kids sure had that safe feeling. The room was filthy and had bugs. Another possitive for my family experience.We were taken to this place by a private cab/pimp mobile that kept on picking up drunk women on the way from the airport and dropping them off at different residences. That was special for my teenagers to witness. We had breakfast there never had a waiter ask us what we would like so we had toast that we didn't see the birds pecking at, who knows? We went for a walk down the driveway that morning about 10 minutes. When we got back to our room (that can not be locked) we had been robbed. My sons ipod was taken with its leather case and headphones. We reported it to Cindy the manager. She said she would call the police. That didn't happen She also said she checked the recording of the security cameras and saw no one entering our room, but when we got back our back door was opened. We were suspossed to stay there later in the week, of course we cancled that reservation and Cindy charged us for the room anyway. I called the club back two days before our departure to see if the room had been booked. It was, so I talked to Cindy again about getting our money back and she said NO! I would not ever recomend this place to anyone for any rfeason They are thieves and liars.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank sixtring
Reviewed May 12, 2008

I first stayed at this property 3 years ago and had a very positive experience. I was really looking forward to staying there again, but things couldn't have been more different this time. From the moment we checked in we were made to feel unwelcome. The check in "bartender", while not rude, was decidedly cold, unhelpful, and unfriendly. All during our stay we had trouble finding anyone to give us any service; usually the people in charge were just standing around the bar smoking. They made us feel as if we were intruding on their space.
There was no way to keep the mosquitos out of the room as the screens were torn and the screen doors didn't fit properly.
The only good thing I can say about this property is that the food is excellent, which is a good thing because eating choices are limited in this area without a car. So I would recommend that you go here for dinner, but do not stay the night.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lsgirl
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Lost in Paradise

We spent last weekend at the Tamarind Club. From the moment we arrived we felt like the invisible hotel guests. There was no greeting, hello, welcome or any eye contact from the
owner or staff. The only greeting came from the two dogs that
roam the pool area.

Our room was interesting. No air moving whatsoever! We
turned on the air conditioner only to discover that the window
was missing! At nightfall we began to experience bug bites
in our room. But the highlight of our stay was the 2 1/2 inch
cock roach that greeted us in the bathroom shower on our last morning.

Today we discovered that our visa card had been charged
an additional fee. (We did not eat at the restaurant, drink at the bar or even open the bottled water in our room). We had pre-
paid for the room in advance of our stay and now have an un
explained charge on our credit card.

We would hesitate to recommend the Tamarind Club to any one.
The BVI is a charming, special place with honest and caring people. The Tamarind Club simply does not measure up to the
rest of the BVI.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Guests08
Reviewed January 18, 2008

Our recent stay at the Tamarind Club was less than desirable. The hotel is not properly marked which makes it hard to find when you first arrive. The only warm welcome we received was from the day bartender who offers you a Rum Punch on arrival until your room is ready. The rooms are in need of attention, more light, proper cleaning and mattresses that haven’t been worn down to the springs. Don't even think about asking for a hairdryer unless you want to feel like a fool (even though their welcome folder says they are available upon request) and get a snide comment in return. As an experienced and unfussy traveler, who always treats people with respect and kindness, I would expect the same from my hotel hosts. I thought we were treated poorly, but we witnessed a nasty disposition one morning by one of the owners when handling a large group of people for breakfast.

Yes, the food is great thanks to the gals in the kitchen, but the service and attitude at Tamarind Club will turn people away from visiting a second time. Some advice to the owners…a smile, paying attention to your hotel guest and not just the locals would go a long way. The adorable dogs (one is very large but very sweet), and friendly locals that come here for drinks and food were the only positive things about the whole experience. My best advice…look elsewhere until they get their act together and tone down the arrogance.

• Stayed: January 2008