“SMOKE AND DOGS”

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Sheffield
“SMOKE AND DOGS”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stayed at the Tamarind over New Year 2011-2012 in a two room suite, and were not very impressed. A very small en suite facility which we could hardly turn round in, and a very poor standard of room cleaning (this is the first hotel in 30 years of foreign travel where we left no tip for the cleaning staff), made for a mediocre experience. This was made worse my hordes of smokers polluting the food and bar service areas, along with a pack of smelly dogs. Food was good on the few nights we ate at the club, but the service took absolutely ages - over an hour on one less-then-memorable occasion !

All in all, a good place if you like tobacco fumes and dogs, but otherwise best avoided.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank curmudgeonface

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed January 2, 2012

The folks at Tamarind are the kindest and most welcoming people I have ever met. While wearing from a long long travel trip they welcomed me in with open arms and treated me like family. I spent a thanksgiving night with them one year, eating turkey specially prepared with a group of people who acted like and treated me like family. The rooms are clean, they are realistic and comfortable. The staff is friendly and always ready to offer a smile. I was a professional travel writer/analyst while staying there and not only did they pass my personal test but they passed the professional standards with ease. They do it right there, much more so than other places on the islands. If you want to be comfortable and support a local business, this is for you. I would recommend to everyone and anyone. This is real BVI flavor, even has one of the most private and killer beaches on the island within walking distance. The Tamarind Club is by fat my FAVORITE place in all of the BVI.

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite is fun but I liked all the rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Molly R
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stayed here one night after completing a 7 day cruise of the islands, since the charter was over too late to catch flights back to San Juan. The Club is run by an ex-pat US family. The facility itself is a bit frayed at the edges. 'Night of the Iguana' is a bit harsh, but there's a sense that decades of tropical humidity, lush overgrowth, and periodic tropical storms have left their imprint. The result is a place that has a lot of character and charm, as long as you're not bothered by a bit of rusty pipes, insects in the bathroom (to be fair, these are endemic in the BVI), and a bit of mildew here and there. The place truly is charming, though, and the owners are real characters. The main income for the Club probably comes from the bar and restaurant, both of which are packed every night. The food is very good and the drinks are great. It's a fun place and we'll probably stay here after our next cruise.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ZenTraveler8
Shreveport
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Great little hotel, in the hills above a great bay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Captain_Ron53
Nashville
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Tamarind Club is a great place to ease right into island time and relax. It is very laid back and casual. After a long day of travel, it was nice to be told that they would take care of the formalities in a bit and to come and have a welcome drink. The bartenders were all great and if you ask, one of them will guess what you're in the mood for and make the perfect cocktail. After relaxing a bit, one of the owners took me to my room, which was more of a suite with a nice patio on top of the hill. Although it could use some upgrading, everything was extremely clean and comfortable. The veranda had lots of seating and a hammock. There was no AC but with all the fans, I slept extremely well on both nights. They also gave me a good flashlight to navigate up and down the hill in the dark and even as a solo traveler, I felt very safe. The owner did mention that they typically don't lock the doors and there is no in room safe so I just locked my jewelry in my suitcase. It's about a 15-20 minute walk to the beach but there is also a nice pool that was not crowded when I was there. Also love the swim up bar. The food at the Tamarind was excellent. I arrived on St. Patrick's Day and I had some of the best corned beef and cabbage ever and had it in a reuben a couple days later it was so good as were all the other meals. Breakfast was included and is continental, which works for me, but you can order omelets and more. Everyone - the staff and locals were friendly and the hotel/club has a great laid back vibe. This is not a 5 star resort so if that's what you like, this is probably not the hotel for you. If you want to have a relaxing island experience, then you'll like the Tamarind Club. I will definitely stay here again when joining a charter.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank amh3855
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Just spent a week on Tortola with my girl who used to work there. During her time on island, she was a regular at The Tamarind and raved about it.

We first went there on a Fri night for Quiz Night, a local tradition! 50 questions and fun times. You'll probably need at least 42 to win. Teams allowed. Artichoke dip is great. Oh yeah, and they have a cable tv on which they will kindly play NHL playoffs if you happen to be there at that time of year and care about that kind of thing!

We were staying with friends on island, but wanted one night there. We were given room #6 for Saturday night. Clearly designed by hippie stoners, but very comfortable, nonetheless! Our friends came to join us for The Tamarind's well-known Sunday Brunch the next morning.

Straight up, it's not The Ritz. If you go there expecting that, you WILL be disappointed. If you go wanting a great little hideaway with its own charm, you'll enjoy it immensely. And it's got a pool, complete with swim-up bar. There, you will meet Clint.

Clint is a great bartender. He knows everyone by name, your drinks are always full, and he's able to referee a good late night argument (er, heated debate) about hockey. He even went out of his way to send us a text during an extreme storm to let us know that their cable tv was still functioning during Game 7 of the Stanley Cup. Good thing, since the bar we had just gotten to (Mulligan's at Nanny Cay, where we watched part of Game 6) had lost their satellite signal and was not able to show the game!

As long as you know what you're getting before you book, you'll probably enjoy the Tamarind. A little off the beaten path can sometimes be a lot of fun!

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank drinkswhiskey
Clarksville, Maryland
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Needed place to stay before/after a yacht charter. Based on charter recommendations and reviews we chose the Tamarind Club. While most of the staff was very friendly the accommodations were hit and miss. Our friends lucked out by getting the room overlooking the dog kennel and had to request dogs be moved. Our room was tidy but sparse needing some minor repairs. The air conditioner was unable to drown out the chickens that made noise thruout the night causing a fitful nights rest even for my husband who can usually sleep through anything. Food was excellent but couldn't make up for the difficulty sleeping.

• Stayed January 2011