Long Bay Beach Club
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Beachfront
Frenchmans(West End)
View Hotel
Elm Beach Suites(Road Town)
  • Beachfront
Icis Villas(Tortola)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslong bay beachsmugglers coverum punchvirgin gordawest endswim up barelite island resortsroad townall inclusive planrented a carall inclusive optionbody surfinglaid backsoft sandroom safetropical fusionoff season
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I spent 8 days at the Long Bay Resort and had a great time during our visit to Tortola. The location is fantastic with a beach at your doorstep. We stayed in a Vacation Villa which had a kitchen, so it was convenient in the mornings for early coffee and watching the day break.

Getting around Tortola is not difficult, and this location is very good. We did rent a car from Jerry's which I would recommend during your stay. There are several good restaurants nearby, and we had breakfast several days at the marina on the west end.

Room Tip: Vacation Villa with kitchen
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank drbell811
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have been here twice, each time for 10 days, and will definitely go again. If you are looking for a quiet and relaxing spot in the Carribean, this is it. There are no shows, just a one hour cocktail party on Monday evenings to meet the new arrivals. The food is tremendous ... and we did not feel the need to eat elsewhere because of the great food. We had one of the apartments right on the beach and these are very comfortable. The service cannot be beaten: the staff is friendly and always ready to be helpful. There is a very nice pool and there are tennis courts, should you feel the need to be athletic! The spa is great, and there is a small workout gym. What we are trying to say is that this is an absolute must for relaxation!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank nicholas263
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I am deeply disappointed in my stay. My husband and I decided to visit BVI for our anniversary. I looked around and found Long Bay in Tortola. I referenced Trip Advisor and for the most part saw positive comments. We have just returned from our visit and after our experience I'm not so sure I should ever trust ANY reviews again.
I ponied up the extra money to stay on the beach in a beach cabana. I mostly did not want to stay up on that very steep hill. Upon checking in, we were informed that only one restaurant was operational for the duration of our stay. We were also informed of the activity areas of the resort such as the pool, the table tennis and pool table area. We checked out the table tennis/pool table area and at one time would have been really nice. However, now it looked like something from an old ran down hotel that had been abandoned for years. We also were given two beach towels (and informed we would be charged some crazy amount that I can't remember,if not returned at the end of our stay) and also that if we wanted to utilize the in-room safe it was $15 non-refundable for a lock and a $65 hold on our card (which would be charged,if the lock was not returned at the end of the stay). We both travel extensively for both business and pleasure and I can tell you, this is the first time either of us has had to pay for a lock on the room safe. Also, wifi is available but extremely spotty and we never received signal in our room at all.
We were helped to our room and found an absolutely gorgeous view from our deck. It was probably the nicest thing to look at during our stay.
We had dinner at the 1748 restaurant. The food was sub-par and the service would have been better and faster if my 90 year old grandma would have been our server. Our water was never refilled after it was initially brought to us. My husband finished his entire glass and resorted to drinking mine after it was obvious no one there knows what to do when they see an empty glass on the table (had the same experience with different wait staff for breakfast). Breakfast at 1748 was no better than dinner. The staff was extremely slow, never refilled your coffee and some were not that friendly. Since breakfast was included in our package, we ate at the resort every morning. If it had not been included in our package, we would have never ate there after that first morning. On the third morning, I asked for a glass of water, knowing my coffee would not get refilled, so I would have at least some liquid to help wash breakfast down, I never received the water. I would have asked again, but the wait staff disappeared until time to bring the check by. I will say that there was 2 days (out of 5) that our coffe was refilled. This was done by a new waitress that we had not seen any of the other days.
Our beach cabana room had small ants running around. Mostly we saw them in the bathroom, however as the week went on, I found them on the furniture and in sink/kitchen area of the room. Housekeeping only left one washcloth and towel per guest each day. I truly believe this policy needs to be changed. Who goes to a beachfront resort and only showers once a day?? We go for a swim in the ocean come back to our room to shower off the salt water and now have no washcloth to shower with the next morning. This was very frustrating.
The room and furniture were extremely outdated and NOT worth what we paid per night. The bed was hard and we both woke up sore every morning. The bathroom door needed replacing, as it looked as though something had gnawed on the bottom of it. The walls in the whole unit could've used a good washing or wiping down as it was obvious that they hadn't been cleaned in years. There are some areas in a room that I know can't be cleaned after each guest, however, there are some that should be, just for sanitary purposes. For example, the plates for the light switches, these should be wiped down after each guest depart. The ones in our room were filthy! This place made me feel dirty. I truly did not feel clean until I got home and showered.

I understand that the resort is closing tomorrow and will have some updating. My advice would be hire new staff before reopenning and train them on how the job is to be performed and what expectations are of a customer that is paying top dollar a night. Also keep track of your employees. One day during our stay, a worker from the maintenance area pulled up a chair in front of our room and took about a 1.5 hour nap under tree. The employees seemed complacent in their job and like they took no pride in their work.
The rooms at a Holiday Inn are cleaner and nicer than what we had and MUCH cheaper. I guess we paid extra for a view, not for amenities and service.

Room Tip: Try another island or different resort.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank lowgetter
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel has a stunning location and could really be a top notch resort. I had a deluxe oceanfront room. The room is huge! It has a large walk-in closet with a ton of storage (and a full length mirror-loved that) with a counter running the whole length which I really liked. I made full use of the space. The vanity is double sinks with loads of counter space. The shower is large as well. There is also a small fridge and wet bar area. It was nice to be able to keep drinks cold. But the room is very outdated. It needs to be redone and updated. If it was it would be spectacular. The deck is very large and my view was just beautiful. The deck furniture were cheap plastic chairs. If there was higher end furniture the deck would be outstanding. The bed was hard but that is subjective, I like a soft bed. I still slept well every night.

I am not a pool person so I can't really comment on the pool except to say I noticed there was no shade anywhere at the pool. On the beach there was plenty of natural shade under the palm trees. As it was off season there were tons of open chairs on the beach. As a matter of fact I pretty much had the beach in front of my room all to myself! loved that! There are lots of rocks in the water but if you walk west down the beach just past the boundary of the hotel property the beach gets much larger, and flatter and there is a sandy ocean floor. Heaven!

There are not the usual water sports amenities you would find at a "resort". In fact there are none.just beach lounge chairs. Perhaps that is a good thing! But if you are expecting activities go elsewhere.

The resort does have a bit of an abandoned feel to it. Several areas are closed and it gives the resort a run down vibe.

The restaurant was in a great beachfront location. My breakfasts and lunches were good. Dinner was hit or miss. I had the steak and it was mostly gristle. The vegetarian Polenta was very good! The service was often surly. Sometimes I would sit for a while before I was acknowledged. As the days went by the staff seemed to warm up a bit. They are super quick to clear the table including half finished water glasses but then take forever with the check.

The front desk staff and the driver were all very good. They were all friendly and helpful.

I will mention something that is completely out of the hotel's control but that everyone should be aware of...bugs! On the third morning I woke up with several large, itchy bug bites. I have never had such a reaction. The bugs are tiny but leave giant welts. Be sure to bring bug repellant and hydrocortisone cream. It has been 4 days and I still have about 20 welts. Not very fun or attractive.

All in all I had a nice stay but I kept thinking of what the resort could be with some effort and capital!

One more thing. If you are coming from St Thomas by ferry and don't plan to rent a car plan to come to the West End rather than Road Town. It is a quick 8-10 minute taxi ride from the West End versus a 30 minute and more expensive taxi ride from Road Town.

Also there are rental cars available at the resort. I would recommend one so you could explore island and sample other restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank skiandsea_10
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We traveled to Tortola to attend a conference, this resort was unexpectedly romantic. The room which had a balcony, was nestled in the hills overlooking the ocean. The view was beautiful, and peaceful and the grounds were worth walking through. Service at the restaurant was not swift but the food was tasty. We had a really great time and would visit there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business