Long Bay Beach Club
$180
$175
Fort Burt Hotel(Road Town)
$150
  • Pool
$245
$238
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Sea View Hotel(Road Town)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewslong bay beachsmugglers coverum punchvirgin gordawest endswim up barelite island resortsroad townall inclusive planrented a carall inclusive optionbody surfinglaid backsoft sandroom safetropical fusionoff season
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel has a stunning location and could really be a top notch resort. I had a deluxe oceanfront room. The room is huge! It has a large walk-in closet with a ton of storage (and a full length mirror-loved that) with a counter running the whole length which I really liked. I made full use of the space. The vanity is double sinks with loads of counter space. The shower is large as well. There is also a small fridge and wet bar area. It was nice to be able to keep drinks cold. But the room is very outdated. It needs to be redone and updated. If it was it would be spectacular. The deck is very large and my view was just beautiful. The deck furniture were cheap plastic chairs. If there was higher end furniture the deck would be outstanding. The bed was hard but that is subjective, I like a soft bed. I still slept well every night.

I am not a pool person so I can't really comment on the pool except to say I noticed there was no shade anywhere at the pool. On the beach there was plenty of natural shade under the palm trees. As it was off season there were tons of open chairs on the beach. As a matter of fact I pretty much had the beach in front of my room all to myself! loved that! There are lots of rocks in the water but if you walk west down the beach just past the boundary of the hotel property the beach gets much larger, and flatter and there is a sandy ocean floor. Heaven!

There are not the usual water sports amenities you would find at a "resort". In fact there are none.just beach lounge chairs. Perhaps that is a good thing! But if you are expecting activities go elsewhere.

The resort does have a bit of an abandoned feel to it. Several areas are closed and it gives the resort a run down vibe.

The restaurant was in a great beachfront location. My breakfasts and lunches were good. Dinner was hit or miss. I had the steak and it was mostly gristle. The vegetarian Polenta was very good! The service was often surly. Sometimes I would sit for a while before I was acknowledged. As the days went by the staff seemed to warm up a bit. They are super quick to clear the table including half finished water glasses but then take forever with the check.

The front desk staff and the driver were all very good. They were all friendly and helpful.

I will mention something that is completely out of the hotel's control but that everyone should be aware of...bugs! On the third morning I woke up with several large, itchy bug bites. I have never had such a reaction. The bugs are tiny but leave giant welts. Be sure to bring bug repellant and hydrocortisone cream. It has been 4 days and I still have about 20 welts. Not very fun or attractive.

All in all I had a nice stay but I kept thinking of what the resort could be with some effort and capital!

One more thing. If you are coming from St Thomas by ferry and don't plan to rent a car plan to come to the West End rather than Road Town. It is a quick 8-10 minute taxi ride from the West End versus a 30 minute and more expensive taxi ride from Road Town.

Also there are rental cars available at the resort. I would recommend one so you could explore island and sample other restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank skiandsea_10
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We traveled to Tortola to attend a conference, this resort was unexpectedly romantic. The room which had a balcony, was nestled in the hills overlooking the ocean. The view was beautiful, and peaceful and the grounds were worth walking through. Service at the restaurant was not swift but the food was tasty. We had a really great time and would visit there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Donna R
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We just returned home from this resort. It is a beautiful resort, but it was obvious to us during our stay that something was "wrong". The beach is gorgeous, but very rocky, so it is not swimmable without water shoes. The water is somewhat rough also. There is nothing the resort can do about the beach conditions, but information on their website would be nice so that visitors can come prepared. The pool surface was very rough and scratched our feet pretty badly. The jacuzzi was empty. There were no umbrellas on the tables at the pool. The pavilion that housed games and other bars, etc. was abandoned. Only one restaurant was open, but we felt the food was good. We paid an additional nightly fee for our 2 sons, but it took 3 requests to get 2 additional chairs for our balcony. My husband continually worked on our toilet to avoid overflowing. We booked a deluxe oceanfront room which was rather large, had double sinks, a vanity area, lots of storage, a large walk-in closet with additional storage and had a phenomenal view. The rooms are large enough for a family of four with lots of storage and a large walk-in closet. The beds were pretty hard though. I realize it is the off-season, but all of the above was not reflected on the website when I booked our trip. The pool bar closes at 5;30 pm, and the pool closes at 7pm. (What?) After asking around, we were told about an upcoming closure/renovation. To brighten our trip: Cheryl, at the pool bar, and Eric, our taxi driver, were extremely helpful, friendly and efficient during our stay. To say we were disappointed in the above mentioned inconveniences would be an understatement. Tortola is absolutely beautiful with lovely people. The resort was mostly lovely, but in dire need of some TLC and honest information on the website. If all amenities were available, my rating would probably be a 4. Unfortunately, I booked our trip through Priceline, so I basically have no recourse for compensation for our disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Donnamen
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were at Long Bay two years ago and have been there many times over 20 years. So sad to hear about Long Bay. We always got free upgrades, sometimes on the beautiful beach. Maybe everything was not always perfect but quiet, peaceful and beautiful. We use to rent the top of a villa at the highest point with the best view ever. It was always our special vacation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank travelpair1
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have stayed here twice - once in a jacuzzi suite and another time in the beach cabanas.The last time was actually in 2007, but we stopped in again last year or a look around. The location is great (best to get a jeep to travel around Tortola though).
The bad news I hear is that the resort will be closing in August then open again in November with a much smaller operation - only the beachfront cabanas will remain and the receprtion area, pool, bars and restaurants (except for 1778) will also be closing. The Condos on the hill that used to be maintained by the resort are now "on their own" so to speak. So I would check to make sure it will still meet your expectations. It would be great if another company would make a go of this place but that seems unlikely in the current economic climate, coupled with the increased difficulty of getting to the island.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple