“wedding and two week stay - beautiful and we will return” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Long Bay Beach Club

Long Bay Beach Club
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“wedding and two week stay - beautiful and we will return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

we arrived at Longbay after a long journey from the UK, at first we were stuck in Antigua airport waiting for our connecting flight to Beef Island, that was a nightmare!!!, The airport staff and security were a joke, we were messed about from entering the departure 'area', , we were asked if we wanted to take an earlier flight too which we agreed , we were then told there was a problem so we couldnt get the earlier flight and in fact there was an actuall extra 2 hour delay, we only knew our flight was eventually in and ready to take off when we recognised people walking across the runway to the plane, there were no annoucments made whatsever, it was just a free for all, when we eventually got on the plane, there were not enought seats for everyone and 3 people were 'removed' from the plane. We eventually arrived at Beef Island where the difference was noticable immediatly, friendly, welcoming and proffessional. We had already paid for, and had our transfer taxis arranged so our driver was waiting for us outside, the driver was very ammicable and friendly, making small chit chat and poiting out various landmarks and views, we couldnt see much as it was about ten ocklock at night and very dark, We got to Long Bay and the driver asked us for payment to which we replied it wsa already paid, his demenour immediatly chaged and this wasnt helped by the unfriendly receptionist on duty at the time, (Sandra). Luckily we had proof of our payment and this matter was resolved, not a very good start to what was supposed to be a holiday and wedding and honeymoon of a lifetime. Sandra arranged for our bags to be taken to our room, we were advised the dining room was closed, but we were offerd a piece of melon and 2 half sandwiches until the morning. We were situated on the beach front with the sound of the waves lapping onto the sand, however we couldnt see anything and just went straight to bed. The next morning we woke to the sound of birds and waves and glorious sunshine, from the view on our balcony we could see Yost Van Dyke and the most glorious view of the sea and white sandy beach, all of the trauma of the journey and the indifference and surly manner of Sandra the receptionist was soon forgotten, we were in paradise!!!!!!! It was a quiet time for the resort and to be honest we had the whole beach to ourselves for most of the two weeks we were there, some of the staff we found were a little bit indifferent to us but this didnt bother us too much, they spoke to us as and when they felt like it, we did found it a bit of a chore having to ask 3 time each and every morning for more hot water for our tea, we arranged for the breakfast meal plan, which was ok, and to be honest the breakfast were nice if a little bit slow arriving. The pool area was gorgeous and again we more or less had this to our selves and there were only about 18 other guests staying at the resort at this time. There was a little shop near the recption area which seemed to open and close when they felt like it and it wasnt as fully stocked as you would expect. We were disspointed with the menus for the evening meals as it was duplicated 2 or 3 times a week, there was a pasta night twice a week, we had been there for nearly two weeks before we found out by chance they they did in fact do lunches in the restaurant and not just burgers by the pool.!!! This wasnt advertised in the hotel recption area at all. ||Due to the fact the evening menu was minimal we had no choice but to venture out to various other restaurants, we had to get taxis to and from these places, arranged by the reception, the taxis charge per person and seemed to charge different rates , we didnt pay the same rate once whilst we were there. The beach outside our room was exceptional soft white sand and sunbeds and a hammock , the sea was gorgeous, however it was very rocky so be warned you do need sea shoes to get in but once your in and past the rocks and stones and coral it is out of this world. We actually go married at Long Bay and this was all arranged by Carlotta, she was very helpful and assisted and arranged everything we needed, it wsa a beautiful day and one we will always remember. We arranged through the dive shop to charter a boat and captain for the day to take us snorkelling around various islands, this was unbeleivable a magnificent day!!!! We also arranged a swim with Dolphins at the Dolphin Discovery, this is a very well organised event and we thouroughy enjoyed every moment of this experience. The resort itself is a little bit shabby and dated but very well maintained, the cleaning ladies came in everyday . the pool was cleaned every day and all the outside working staff maintaining the grounds were always very polite. We have already booked to return to Long Bay next year, however we will not be going for 2 weeks, as this is too long a time to stay here, a few days or maybe a week is suffice and now we know what to expect from the staff and the resort itself we will be well prepared, as they didnt spoil the beauty of the place for us. The mosquitos we found were a bit of problem but we bought loads of repellent on a trip into Tortola town (the shop in the hotel didnt sell it). Overall, Long Bay Beach Resort is a magnificent Resort to relax,and totally unwind at your own pace and we would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jane s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Juneau, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Normally when I go on vacation, my brain shuts off and I just enter into a comatose-mental state of "I don't care, I want to do nothing & enjoy my time" but my 'career' job in travel sales/marketing had my head spinning the entire time. The reason was that this place was TOOO quiet during the off season. I love traveling in the off-season and even sat on the Bahamas Out Island Promotion Board and worked with the Florida Keys TDC, so typically this time of year is quiet, but man this was TTTOOO quiet. Elite really needs to give local control of their Facebook and even twitter to the hotel as these guys should be reaching out and getting a lot more business, and it is SSOO easy to find. I've been to islands 1/3rd the size of Tortola and at resorts on the same calibur and have NEVER seen one this empty. Letting us Americans know they are open, highlight how easy it is to get to Tortola, etc can bring in a lot of extra revenue when you need it the most. Ok, Director of Sales hat off. Now to take everything off (ha).

I had to do a LOT of research on this property and island. The website is fairly bland and could use an overhaul of information. Providing information such as what is and isn't open, what's nearby, that the beach in front of hotel has a reef & coral out there would be a good draw. Knowing that my prepaid room did include all the taxes, etc. Its all about setting guest expectations, and I did hear grumbling from the few people that were also sharing the resort with me. One was really upset she couldn't rent dive gear from the closed dive shop, and had to make a special appointment with the spa. (I brought my own gear, I hate rentals). The pool bar liked to close early, despite the website saying 6pm.

So getting here was OK.. I flew Delta to San Juan then hopped Cape Air to Tortola - and its by far a VERY amazing & beautiful flight. If you are ok with flying a Cessna 402, please go this route and bring your cameras! Clearing customs/immigration was very easy @ EIS and everyone was pleasant. The Cape Air agent even gave me some advice. Upon exiting, I was glad to find an ATM machine & reasonable surcharge and a taxi driver that told me of the $50 fare to Long Bay. He even showed me a rate chart as I felt it was a bit high. After about an hour long bumpy & fun drive, I arrived at the resort and was given some rum punch. Checkin was nice, and the agent explained everything going on at the resort and limited hours of the restaurant. I then was driven to my beachfront cabana and immediately hit the bed! After an exhaustive day of traveling, I rolled over and was THRILLED that I could see the ocean/beach clearly from my room. I noticed that the decorum of the room was basic... a little tropical fake folliage would go a long way. The tv was a flat screen with DVD player built in, but the cable system sucked (hey, I'm on vacation, not here to make sure I don't miss my Weeds, Web Therapy or America's Got Talent episodes). Wifi didn't work the first day but paid for 30 minutes on their computer (I think with WIFI being down it should have been free) but when WIFI did work the speed was nice (probably because no one else was there). Word of warning: the internet servers think you are in PUERTO RICO, so if you log on to NetFlix, you will get Spanish movies. My spanish is OK, but not that good. Ok - back to room - bathroom was very nice and the shower was efficient. I found the soap/shampoo cut out in the wall suited my rum better than it did soap. The maid left lil towel animals and was a nice touch. Everything was clean, and didn't see many ants. The room did lack a microwave, but that's ok - the fridge kept the coke cold (buy at a local store for $2.50 / 2 liter!) & pineapple juice for the rum. The outside patio was very nice and even had a citronella candle and white wash tub for your feet.

Food at the restaurant is good, and I was the only one eating there most of the time (I also went at odd hours). The Caribbean Rotie - chicken curry is VERY good (and priced VERY reasonable). Dinners were good - seemed to be a limited menu for 1748, so its $25 + tax / tip and includes soup/salad, entree, and dessert. The ribs and curry were nice & my friends seemed to enjoy the alcohol / wine selection.

Pasta House was priced a tad high for the amount of food you get, but we are on vacation in a high-cost area - I think we spent about $30US per person.

Cheryl at the pool bar makes a mean hot dog along with a variety of drinks. The pool bar is a bit pricey for the 'bar' food, but it works & she's very personable.

The pool was VERY nice and we enjoyed the split layout. This way we could get away from the other few guests - I can see this pool being a pain if this resort is busy and stuffed with kids. Jacuzzi was also nice & warm.

The grounds were VERY well maintained and very tropical-feeling. No Disney paint jobs here. Most of the villas & hotel rooms appeared to be fairly new and well maintained; and I never heard anyone complain.

The front desk clerks were always helpful and talkative. The gift shop was nice, and the Sugar Cane Rum is a steal @ $10 a bottle (I'd also recommend getting the Jamaican overproof rum - 126 proof - for $9 at a local store; most cabs will gladly stop en route to the hotel).

Would I come back? most certainly. My friends are forever grateful I found this resort and boater friends all recommended Long Bay to me. I just hope my next visit the resort is busier as this place truely is an exceptional resort.

For travelers reading this:
I have traveled all over the Caribbean and stayed on the beach in a tent to places that make a Four Seasons appear to be a Super 8. I'd rate this property in the top 10% of all of my stays. You just need to educate yourself on the BVI and where you are going. This resort is a great place to come and spend a week and do NOTHING but swim/read/drink/swim/drink. There's no marina nearby, but a short taxi ride away. There aren't hords of tourists/busses driving by and its VERY quiet. The beach IS rocky - but that's because there's a reef just off shore. Bring wet shoes or dive booties if you swim @ the beach and you'll enjoy it. Throw in some dive/snorkel gear (don't forget defogger) and you are set. Smugglers Cove is a VERY short walk from the hotel, no need for a cab. Just walk south towards Nature Boy's place, go up the hill slightly & take a right. Follow that road for barely 1/4 mile and you are there. Smugglers cove has amazing swimming, great beach, and top-grade snorkeling/diving. While we were there, I noticed more-than-normal amounts of jelly fish (some the size of dinner plates), so make sure you cover your skin if you go (we never saw any in Long Bay). Also, the beach south of Nature Boy is nude. I did get cell service at times from my beach cabana balcony, and received calls/texts while at Smugglers Cove. While swimming, put your valuables in a ziplock bag and BURY them should someone go thru your things.

The ferry to St. Thomas takes about 45-50 minutes, has a $5 departure tax, and customs in St. Thomas was fast. I paid $10 for a ride to the airport, and $16 to West End - so its a tad more expensive to ferry via St. Thomas than just pay the cab to the EIS airport and fly out of Tortola. So its up to you how you want to get there. The ferry was nice & comfortable, can't complain. JetBlue offers really good fares in and out of San Juan, although I only paid $330 roundtrip from Seattle on Delta/Alaska to San Juan.

Room Tip: Definitely stay on the beach!!! it is worth it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank DiverDown79
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Long Bay is great. Located right on the beach with views of Yost Van Dyke. The water is nice but not alot of snorkeling right there.

The people were fantastic and Cheryl's Cheeseburgers at the pool bar are the best.

Lots of things to do at the BVI. Island Hopping is quick and easy.

Room Tip: Rent a car. The taxi fees are set and they charge per person. The cost ads up quickly
6 Thank jim c
Warwick, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Just returned from a quick two night stay in Tortola before traveling over to Saint Thomas. Stay at the Long Bay Resort. During this time of year August/September the Island is very quiet. The resort was almost empty and we enjoyed that very much. All the employees we interacted with were wonderful and greeted us with a Smile. The rooms are very large and the VIEW is amazing. Enjoyed over morning coffee on the balcony, listening to the waves. The beach is across the street. Go find your private area as there was almost no one else on the beach. The beach is long and narrow. Take a walk down to the Western tip and stop at the beach bar shack and grab a drink. Would definitely return. Only negative as stated in a previous post was the very low water pressure. It seemed to be better in the early afternoon and in the morning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank HaMldge
columbia sc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We truly enjoyed our stay at this resort. We stayed in one of the deluxe beachfront villas and
really liked our room. The vaulted ceiling made it seem even larger than it was. Our view was
spectacular. The room was well maintained and my only negative comment would be insufficient
lighting in the bathroom area. We were able to rent a car at the resort which was convenient.
The staff at the hotel were somewhat reserved but helpful.

Room Tip: Request a room on the second floor of the beachfront villas as the views are better.
3 Thank jhopkins26
cincinnati
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed a week as part of a group dive trip and no one was really pleased with the hotel. To its credit the setting is beautiful. . . and the rooms are OK. . . if rather tired and frayed at the edges. We had a frig and microwave which were really nice. There is a beautiful pool -- but it's not big and would be very crowded (and probably quite loud) if the resort were even half full. But WOW were these folks after extra money at every turn. We were not amused by the $10 per night per room "energy charge" or the $15 charge to use the safe -- neither disclosed on the web site or in info we were sent when reserving. There are also hefty deposits for just about everything -- room keys, safe keys, pool towels. . . which would be a bit annoying but OK -- but we found that just about everyone in our group (including us) had at least one. .. and sometimes more than one deposit left on their bills even after returning the items. Our group also found that many of the group (including us) were charged $10 energy charges for EXTRA nights. . . adding insult to injury. The food was tasty and an OK value if you wanted a full meal (it is an expensive island). But there were few options if you wanted just a sandwich or other light option. And forget about the supposed food store on site. It's just a small selection of overwhelmingly overpriced drink and snack items in a corner of the gift store. If you are ordering a hot breakfast item and told to get your own juice at the breakfast bar -- BEWARE -- if you help yourself to fruit and rolls you'll be charged for TWO full breakfasts. And be very very sure to check your final bill VERY carefully. Just about every single bill in our group had multiple incorrect charges.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank alfiekit
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here twice in the month of Augiust, 1 week each time. On my first day of week one I though what have I gotten my self into? Once I got the vibe of the Island, The people, the ocean, the resort...it all changed. The rooms were spotless (I had a beach front main floor room) and the cleaning staff was meticulous.

The Beach was absolutely amazing! I was nervous about staying at a resort with a North facing beach but the views, the colours, were incredible. And the sunset...all I can say is WOW!

The pool is quiet at this time of year but Cheryl made sure I had a great day everyday and the food at the swim up bar was terrific. I was travelling alone and was surprised by how friendly the other guests were.

The restaurant was great. I had breakfast there most mornings, lunch at the swim up and then dinner in the restaurant. I was surprised at the quality of the Pasta night and the wine selection.

On my second visit I had a late arrival after the restaurant closed. The front desk had a complimentary sandwich tray waiting for all 3 of us and in my room I found a complimentary bottle of wine!

I hear many negatives about Tortola Taxi Rides. I didn't have any problems. The Airport is a fixed rate per person to your hotel, The hotel arranged a Taxi when I needed it and the fare was always fair. I even hired a driver one night that took me to Cane Garden, waited, took me to Bamba Shack, waited and drove us back to the hotel..all for $60.

Tips: You must visit Nature Boy Beach Bar about 100 yards West of property line. Bamba Shack is great for late night action (Dont let the locals scare you off, they are great fun just talk to them), watch the Rum Punch it is potent. A visit to Cane Garden offers a great beach restaurant experience (Bring bug spray).

Only negative: BRING Mesquito Spray if you will be on the beach at sunset and after dusk! I stayed at Nature Boy for 2 hours after dark and gained 20 new bites.

Only other sort of negative: This is a great place to relax. The restaurant/bar is empty by 9 and closed by 10. I picked up wine at dinner and relaxed on the patio but the place is dead after 10. If you want action you have to go to Bamba Shack, Cane Garden or into Road Town.

Only warning! Watch the corners of the Bed. They have really nice king sized beds but they sit on a large wooden frame. Hidden under the bed spread are 4 huge corner pieces. I didn't talk to a single person that hadn't banged a shin on the corner. You just don't expect it to stick out that far. I hit it twice and will carry a scar.

Soak it all in..its not the Mayan but once you get used to the vibe you may never return to the Mayan.

Room Tip: I paid for pool side but was upgraded to beach front at no charge. I protested at first but the beac...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank B G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tortola
Sebastian's on the Beach
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Long Bay Beach Club? Share your experiences!