“Pleasantly surprized” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Tortola
Worcester, MA
“Pleasantly surprized”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

I had read mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, so I was a little worried, but was pleasantly surprized when we arrived! We had a room that overlooked the ocean. It was very nice and clean and we had a nice deck looking out at Jost Van Dyke. The front desk staff was very prompt and pleasant with check in. The resort was quiet the week we were there, which was nice for us. We ate at the restaurant at the beach (1812?) many times out of convenience. The service was adequate and the food was OK. I had a problem with my back and went for massages at the spa 3 of the days at the resort. The massages were excellent and saved the vacation. I was able to do more activities b/c of them. After day two we decided to rent a car to explore and find more restaurants etc. We ate at a new Natural Food restaurant beyond Road Town which was very good and extremely clean. We stopped at Cane Garden Bay and relaxed for a bit, one of the few beaches we found that had little surf. We also sought out the Banana Keet Cafe on the advice of a friend and had a drink. The location was beautiful and we went back the next night for dinner. The dinner was the best we had on our trip and the drink ( Bananakeet) was great. Got the recipe to bring home with us. They also turned us on to a breakfast place on Frenchman's Cay called D'First Cup. Their food was excellent and the people were very friendly. Our stay on Tortola was good, in that we found the resort nice and the scenery was beautiful. We did feel that a good percentage of the people on Tortola were not terribly friendly. It was a very different feeling that we didn't really enjoy. I doubt we would go back again but we are glad we at least tried it out.

8 Thank Splasher54

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

The scenery was beautiful, but the property needs some work. Our room had been remodeled and was nice with a huge shower, but some of the common areas have been neglected. Near the lobby is a fountain with black mold and gunk in two of the pools. The dining room was pleasant, but near it we saw an abandoned court of some kind with the green paved surface sinking back into the earth. Most of the employees were courteous and helpful. The property is isolated from other restaurants. If you rent a car, you can get around; otherwise, you need to get a cab. The roads can be frightening with steep hills and sharp turns.

The restaurant is only average and needs to serve more fresh locally caught fish. We had live music on Friday and Saturday nights. Good jazz. Music every night would be nice.

We enjoyed ourselves in spite of the imperfections.

Room Tip: We had a hilside room and had to do a lot more climbing than we expected. Not convenient.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank somanyislands
Coconut Creek, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

I am not sure what I expected when I chose to go to Tortola. I was looking for something different that is for sure. I have travelled the Caribbean often choosing the Western side and I wanted to try a different side. Being based in Miami I have the luxury of non-stop flights to most of the islands, Tortola would be a bit different as I was flying into St Thomas and taking a ferry to the hotel that in itself seemed liked an added value tour to me! The transfer from St Thomas airport to the Ferry port at Charlotte Amalie was about 5 minutes and $10, there are plenty of ferries to choose from but be sure to choose the West End ferry when going to Long boat or you will have a 25-30 minute taxi ride to the resort. The entrance to the resort is unique as its like entering a town and indeed the main road leads right to Long Bay (not a lot of traffic no worries) the resort has different accommodations Beach Cabanas on Stilts (I wanted one of those but they are the most popular so they were sold out) instead I opted for Hillside Oceanview Deluxe - it did not dissappoint the view was out of this world, and it was close to the pool and the swim-up pool bar.

One morning I ran the beach which was almost a mile long, the next I went out a little later and ran through town I did not have my GPS on so not sure the mileage but the hills were a bit tricky but it was a great work out. The road had little traffic and I felt safe there were other runners and cyclists. I passed the famous Bomba Shack (more on that later), Smuggler's (Nigel makes a real painkiller - but that is another story!)

During the day I found Main street in Road Town so cute tons of cute shops and restaurants. It was the original downtown. I took a day trip to the Baths on Virgin Gorda and I am still in awe..

I was fortunate to be have been there for the full moon party at the famous (or infamous) Bomba Shack! It was great fun (They are known for a famous tea that posseses special qualities) the party was on both sides of the street. You buy tickets drink price is $6 each no matter what you are drinking - or buy an all night band for $50. The live band was amazing great reggae.

I am already planning my next trip...Have to get to Joss Van Dyke, Little Joss, The Indians, The Dogs....There is so much to see - I was there for 3 nights but I think you need 5 to take full advantage of all.

Room Tip: The best way to get here is the ferry from St Thomas use the Charlotte Ferry terminal and choose the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank GwennF
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

This was our second visit to Long Bay Beach resort, and it was even better than I remembered it to be. We took a beachfront cabana room this time (last time was the hillside ocean view) and although both were clean and with full amenities, I think it's my personal preference to be so close to the water. Although I had planned to spend more time at the fitness centre (to counter some of the effects of the magnificent deserts on offer) I decided that calories consumed while on holiday don't really count and just indulged without repenting. My husband particularly enjoyed the casual 1748. The service wasn't as fast as it could have been, but the local dishes on offer made it well worth the wait. Be sure to make reservations for the Pasta house, the first time we went there we unfortunately got turned away as we hadn't made ours, but we got it sorted for the next night. The great food and romantic atmosphere are not to be missed.

9 Thank BeachGalAtHeart
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

Other than the unfriendly service and the sorry shower, there is nothing wrong with Long Bay. It is located near smugglers cove and sopers hole. They have a decent pool and tennis courts. We atayed 2 nights in a studio and felt our experience was "ok". We spent less money on better places in the BVIs. If we came for 7 nights, we'd be more dissatisfied with our experience. The beach is beautiful but management did not condone swimming. The surf is rough and rocks are all over. The resort, itself, is understaffed and a bit unfriendly. Whatever you do, do not eat at their restaurant Pasta House 1748. It was the worst service of our entire lives. I got up repeatedly to fill our own water glasses and we were going to order dessert but no one came by for 45 minutes. We left laughing at the whole situation an left a note with our room number so they could just deal with it later. It was so pathetic, i actually feel bad writing about it. Just dont go there and you'll be better for it.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Thestresser
Medford, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

My wife and I returned for our 20th stay at Long Bay Hotel, Tortola. We had a wonderful time and enjoy the great location, clean rooms, and helpful staff. It was the 26th annual Plastic Surgery Workshop BVI, and the hotel did a terrifc job in accommodating all of our wishes. We recommend most highly this resort for a quiet and beautiful vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the beach directly--a wonderful experience
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank RonaldWorland
Newtown CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

Before going I saw the comments regarding the beach and can't believe anyone would complain the main part of the beach is beautiful sand but when you enter the water it is somewhat rocky. however just walking hundred feet in either direction and it is sand all the way out into the ocean. It is one of the most spectacular beaches in the Caribbean. Nature boy has a stand on one end that is particularly beautiful. the restaurant on the resort is expensive but very good, particularly the breakfast.
The staff goes out of their way to provide every request.when I called for ice it arrived as I hung up the phone!
originally we booked a hillside deluxe, but when we saw the cabanas on the beach we switch staying right on the ocean. the rooms were a bit more rustic but who cared?

3 Thank Stu L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tortola
Sebastian's on the Beach
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Long Bay Beach Club? Share your experiences!