Sugar Mill Hotel
Fort Burt Hotel(Road Town)
$200
$99
$245
$238
  • Pool
Sea View Hotel(Road Town)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewspool suitenew ownersoutdoor showerplantation houseall inclusive packagejost van dykebeach restaurantsmall beachcocktail partylunch restaurantsuzettechef bernardboutique hotelpicnic lunchfellow guestsisland tourday sail
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 4, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights before going on a 1-week yacht charter through the BVI. We had never been to BVI and wanted to explore Tortola. We had planned to cycle around the island but it turned out to be a holiday and all the stores were closed, which turned out just as well because the island roads are very narrow and winding with steep hills, crazy drivers, and they drive on the wrong side of the road (British). Just riding in a taxi was scary enough. The hotel is about a 1/2 hr interesting drive from the airport. It was so nice to get to this lovely little hotel on the water. It's really beautiful and has its own little sandy beach. Our room wasn't quite ready for us so we relaxed in the hammocks by the pool after flying all night. It was the slow season so there weren't many people staying there so it was extra nice. We had a "pool suite" and it was a very, very nice room on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool and out over the ocean to the islands beyond. We had our own private deck with a table and chairs and a fan overhead. You walked into a sitting room with couch and chairs on one side and a bar, stools, and fridge and sink on the other side and a fan overhead. Through a door was the bedroom with a king bed, another fan, and air-conditioning that kept it really cool for sleeping. We had to keep the bedroom door closed so that the room would stay cool and it felt fantastic whenever we came inside because it was smoking hot and humid outside all the time. We had all the fans going so there was always a lovely breeze but the air-conditioning was necessary for sleeping. Off the bedroom was a nice big bathroom and the highlight was the private outdoor shower. At one end of the bathroom was a door leading to this rock-walled shower with plants growing and the sun shining in. It was spectacular.
We found the service at the Sugar Mill to be fantastic. All the staff were so friendly and so helpful. The bar area was really attractive and we had a nice dinner in the restaurant on the 2nd night when the rest of our cruise group arrived. On the 1st night we walked a short distance to another nice restaurant (Sebastian's) on the beach. We passed the famous Bomba's bar but it was the slow season so it was pretty quiet. The hotel pool was really nice and we particularly enjoyed the beach. We were completely entertained watching the pelicans and other diving birds dive-bombing the fish.
The island itself is quite undeveloped. We went into Roadtown to look around and there are some shops and restaurants but nothing special. Restaurant service throughout BVI was not great but the Sugar Mill Hotel gives great service. We were glad we picked this hotel for our 1st 2 nights in BVI but we wouldn't have wanted to stay longer or we would have been bored. We need more activity. This was the nicest place that we saw on Tortola and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank h0lym0ly
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I did the math and figured that the two room suite was cheaper than a villa - and it was definitely the right call. The Sugar Mill room was amazing - our girls had their own room and we had a beautiful, spacious master bedroom with a full kitchen and living room. Our huge deck looked out over Jost Van Dyke and the beach, though very small, was very nice and private. Beds were comfortable, AC worked well and it was great to have a villa to ourselves while still having the amenities of a hotel. Great location allowed us to really explore the island (see my trip report on the forums). Overall - the best experience ever!!
Oh - and the free wifi didn't hurt for a few email emergencies.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank docsaba
Reviewed June 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Sugarmill for 3 nights after a charter with the Moorings. It was the perfect place to relax and enjoy the surroundings. The staff is extremely attentive and go out of their way to provide any service that you ask for. The food was fantastic. We have been traveling to the BVI since the late 70s and "gourmet food" was never on the expectation list. The Sugarmill Restaurant was a wonderful surprise. We usually made coffee in the room and enjoyed the view in our hammock swings. After a swim in the pool or ocean, we had lunch at the beach restaurant, then dinner in the main restaurant. I can't imagine going anyplace else to eat.

The beds were comfy and it was very nice having the mini-fridge. With only a few rooms, the hotel was intimate and very private. We plan to go again soon.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank gbvabech
Reviewed May 19, 2009

I was looking forward to my week at the Sugar Mill following a terrific stay on Nevis.
Upon arrival our group of 4 were taken to our Deluxe Villa by somebody who on route advised me that "your'e in the big one baby". Hmmm.
Our accommodation in the Villa was excellent. Large, bright and spacious rooms. The view out to Jost Van Dyke was pleasant, albeit with a small parking area in vision also.
The Hotel has a small pool area and a very small beach across the (relatively quiet) coastal road in front of the building. The proximity of the road nevertheless proved to be a bit of a frustration to me as I would rather not listen to cars passing by when i am taking breakfast.
I had read many positive reviews about the restaurant which I was lead to believe was one of the very best in the Caribbean. I confess to being somewhat disappointed. Dining is not cheap here (we were on MAP) and I think the experience would be helped if there was some sort of dress code applied, if only smart casual. Shorts and flip flops seemed the norm. If I am paying $80/$100 to eat I would prefer not to have a mother at the next table giving the baby a milk (bottle!) feed. I would prefer not to have children getting up and down in the restaurant and wandering about. Perhaps i'm just being overly fussy, but this is my honest view. I was looking for a dining experience and I didn't get it here.
The food itself was generally OK, but not special. I did have some shockingly poor chicken on a couple of occasions. There seemed to be an over supply of Shrimp (every night) and an under supply of Lobster!! My partner thought the food better than me so this may be over critical.
The staff were perfectly efficient although I did not feel that any were particularly engaging with the exception of the lovely Basillia in the restaurant.
Overall would I go back? Probably not. Clearly my thoughts are rather less positive than most others that have reviewed this Hotel. The weather was mixed during our stay and perhaps this has had an impact on my overall impressions.
The BVI has some fantastic beaches and whilst Tortola is a good base to explore I have to say there are many other Caribbean Islands that I prefer.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Stanley66
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Just got back today from the BVI and stayed 2 nights at Sugar Mill on Tortola and 2 nights on Virgin Gorda at Little Dix Bay. The Sugar Mill was great with so much Carribean charm. We loved the laid back feel to this hotel...not at all stuffy. The staff was very nice and very accomodating. The rooms are well appointed and we were lucky enough to have a pool suite with great views of the bay and an outdoor shower, which we loved! It was simply an amazing feeling to shower outside under the sun or in the rain.
The best part of the Sugar Mill is by far the food. The dinner we had in the restaurant will be one we remember for a long time. The flavors were delicious and the dishes were simple. We gave our compliments to the chef. So did many others at surrounding tables. I believe the chef's name is Matt.
As far as the location goes, it was fine. The hotel will call you a cab if you want to go to a nearby beach. There is a small beach across the street that is sufficient for just lounging but probably not where you would want to go for any water activities. There is a larger beach called Long Bay that is about a 15 min walk from the hotel. You have to hike up a very steep hill to get there. There is a small bar on that beach that's run by a guy that calls himself "Nature Boy". He was nice and my husband quickly mad friends with him. If your interested in a wild party atmosphere there is a bar down the street called Bomba shack. Be cautious when going there, especially to there Full Moon Party. We were told by some locals to never leave your drink unattended there and never leave your wife/girlfriend alone. They say that place is known to put "psychedelic shrooms" in there rum punch. I guess by the end of the evening there are people getting naked and its pretty wild. Probably an easy place to get robbed if your unaware of your surroundings.
We would definately stay at the Sugar Mill again. It provides all the relaxing comforts you would expect on vacation.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple