“So Caribbean”

BananaKeet Cafe
Ranked #1 of 148 Restaurants in Tortola
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Casual fine dining with exceptional foods, friendly service & spectacular sunset views!! Open daily for Sunset Happy Hour: 4-6pm $1 off all cocktails. FREE 'Sundowner' at Sunset! ALa carte poolside dining 5:30-9:30. Live legendary music Fridays from 6pm CAFE SEASONAL CLOSING: September 15- REOPENS October 15 Closed for ALL Public Holidays
Western NY
“So Caribbean”
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Visited here for dinner just at sunset. The view was magnificent and the food,drinks and service fine. Three of enjoyed the coconut shrimp dish and found it to be very tasty. The vegetables were hardly cooked but probably more nutritious because of that! Our waitress was competent and friendly. (It seemed that friendly waitstaff in the islands was not common!) Be sure to try the mojito-with the rum! Yummy! If you visit BananaKeet Cafe, go at sunset!

• Visited February 2011

NJ
“Try the Lamb Chops!! Yummy.”
Reviewed January 25, 2011

We always make it a point to visit during our frequent stays. Great views of St. Thomas. Food is always tasty with reliable service. Make a reservations.

• Visited January 2011
New Jersey
“A treat”
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Located on the eastern hill side above Carrot Bay off the top switch-back, it is a prime location for sun-set drinks and dining.

The drinks are well made (not skimping on the ingredients) and decorated. If you don't find on the menu what you'd like to have, it can be made.

But the highlight is the food: This is my 4th trip to Tortola and I have dined at Bananakeet several times now. All meals were of outstanding food quality, preparation and presentation. But now the highlight: Lamb is one of my favourite meats. Having lived in a few countries in Europe, now in the US and Singapore, so my sampling size is not very small. Bananakeet serves the best lamb without competition in my book (suggestion: Order medium-rare or rare).

Make reservations especially if you would like to sit first row for sunset. Do take a light jacket or sweater with you if you intend to stay after sunset in winter, as it can get windy.

• Visited January 2011
Stratford, CT
“Loved the view...But food not so much...”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Bananakeet restaurant has outstanding views, particularly if you go around sunset when we did. We had a drink which was nice, but as soon as the appetizers arrived is when we started to feel ripped...

We had the sushi and garlic bread...Tasted just ok, garlic bread seemed like the frozen kind you toss in the oven/microwave, definitely not worth the cost...

For our entrees I had Salmon and my husband had shrimp in a coconut sauce...
The portions for the cost they were charging were absolutely outrageous..We have eaten all over the British Virgin Islands and never seen such small portions...My salmon looked to be about 2-4oz., narrow and skimpy. When I finished that I was still starving. It was relatively tasty, a little overcooked, but the sauce was nice. The "garlic mashed potatoes" on the side had no flavoring whatsoever, it just tasted like bland mashed potatoes...

My husband's shrimp portion was TINY, 3-4 jumbo shrimp set in a little shell for decoration...Nice presentation yes, but horrible portion size and unfair...I know that food is costlier in the BVI's due to importing it, and I understand why the prices are usually higher, however nowhere else did we encounter such a skimpy portion size problem, this is unacceptable for an entree over $35. My husband's shrimp were served with a tiny amount of rice and veg...

Overall while the drinks and view were worth going for, the food absolutely wasn't and I couldn't justify the $150 bill in my mind at the end of our meal. I felt royally ripped off...We had a much tastier meal and that was properly portioned in Road Town at the Le Grand Cafe for the same price...

I would possibly return to Bananakeet and recommend it for cocktails and the sunset...but simply cannot for the meals or appetizers.

• Visited December 2010
2 Thank OliviaStratford
Innisfil, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food”
Reviewed December 18, 2010

The calamari ceviche was great, fresh and flavouful, but the best was the seared tuna. It was sesame and poppy seed crusted, seared crispy on the outside and cool, rare in the middle. The tuna was fresh, dark red in the middle and melted in your mouth. I don't think it could have been cooked more perfect or tasted better. I enjoy raw salmom and tuna a lot and this was the best I have ever had. To top it off, they have wine specials and we had a great bottle of white wine for $15. Can't beat that!