“Good dinner, Excellent lunch”

The Sugar Mill Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 150 Restaurants in Tortola
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fine dining but on real food with substantial portions. Cocktail bar and Pavillions lounge area overlooking the sea. 400 year old stone built dining room formerly the Rum house of the plantation. Terace section overlooking the sea.
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My wife and I went here for dinner while on our honeymoon. The dinner was good but not amazing (3 stars for food and 4 for ambiance), we enjoyed it but I had higher expectations. While having dinner we saw the Island Beach restaurant and thought we would come back for lunch as it has a beautiful setting facing north with the Caribbean surrounding much of the seating. After a morning at Cane Garden Bay, we drove to Sugar Mill and had a great lunch (4 stars food and 5 for ambiance) with wonderful vegetarian options. The ocean breeze and the waves crashing on long bay offer a beautiful setting for great lunch.

1  Thank 456Jeff
There are newer reviews for The Sugar Mill Restaurant

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Stayed / dined here again. Once again had a fablous time and enjoied every meal we had there. Great job by Patrick / Sharron and the ENTIRE staff... Look forward to a return.

1  Thank Cooch366
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We had dinner here our last nite in BVI. It was delicious! Excellent scallops. Lovely atmosphere. We also stopped there after a long hike when they weren't really serving. The woman at the bar had a delicious cheese and fruit platter made for us along with excellent painkillers. We were very appreciative. A great dining experience and not as expensive as I expected.

1  Thank Hoot06
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I went to the Sugar Mill when we were on our honeymoon as what we thought would be the nicest dinner of our trip. We were very disappointed and expected much more considering the cost.

After we were finally seated, we ordered an appetizer to share, salads and our meals. We told the waitress that we were sharing it. Only after received the appetizer did we find out it was not shareable and the staff made that clear by also bringing my salad at the same time. After my wife finished the appetizer and I finished my salad, they brought out her salad. It seemed like a very odd way of timing things. The quality of the salads and appetizers were just okay. Nothing special.

Our meals took about 45 minutes to come out after we finished our first courses. Seemed a little excessive. I got the scallops and my wife got the breaded stuffed chicken. Scallops were good, though I had expected better out of the Sugar Mill. The breading fell off my wife's chicken and it seamed like a like a poorly executed Shake & Bake meal.

When we finished our meals, the manager came over to thank us for coming and quickly ran off. Never asked us how things were and didn't clear our plates. We were then visited by the water filler several times (we were very thirsty because no one would get us a drink) and our waitress walked by our table 7 times (we counted). It took 20 minutes to get our plates cleared because no one seemed like they could be bothered. At that point, we were done and it took another 25 minutes to get our check and we only got it because I grabbed the manager and asked for it.

If the staff was more attentive to our needs, we probably would have ordered a second appetizer, desert, and a half dozen drinks.

All in all, we would not go back. It was one of our worst meals on our honeymoon.

1  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We went to the beach restaurant and had a lovely lunch near the water. Very casual and great conch fritters. We checked in at the main restaurant to see what the menu was like and we were disappointed by the high prices and the food that was so similar to any upscale place in the US. We were looking for something more authentic and "island" so we did not come back for dinner. It looked beautiful and romantic, very elegant. Probably a great place for a special meal if you are not feeling adventurous.