“Good Vibes Sailing”
Review of Sailing Virgins

Sailing Virgins
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Looking for a sailing school in Tortola? Sailing Virgins balances learning how to sail with an awesome adventure, especially for millennials. Our 7 day liveaboard courses turn students into skippers. We love the Caribbean with its crystal clear waters, year-round t-shirt weather and friendly locals. We also love sailing and sharing the knowledge. Our courses combine those two loves: some of the finest sail training in the world combined with having an awesome, adventurous time. Sailing Virgins teaches to ASA curriculums.
Reviewed December 2, 2017 via mobile

Sailing Virgins is unreal — worth every penny and more. You will learn to sail, explore new places each day and night, and meet legendary people from all over the world all in one trip. The passion for sailing aboard Libertas is contagious no matter your skill level — and the best part is that YOU will be sailing the boat. In my two weeks on course, Jack and James entrusted us full control over the navigation, the helm and the sails. There is no better way to quickly develop confidence in boat handling. Epic.

I would highly recommend Sailing Virgins to anyone in their 20s and 30s looking for a full-on adventure mixed with an unparalleled sailing instructing experience.

The full story:
I went to sailing camp for years when I was younger but never found the dedication to keep up with it. Since I was a teenager, I always wanted a second chance to replicate those experiences but always found myself stopping short out of fear that if I hadn’t learned it now, it was too late. Cue Sailing Virgins. In some magical way, it felt like I was able to turn back the clock and learn to sail with the same freedom and humility as I did when I was a kid. Except this time around, we were able to explore new countries together, see the world from a different perspective and make new lifelong friends.

I had the unbelievable opportunity to spend two weeks on course with Jack and James, and couldn’t have been more impressed. More specifically, I was blown away by their ability to tailor the instruction each week of the course to the needs of the students on board.

The first week, I was on course with fellow sailing beginners. We needed basic introductions/refreshers and spent most of the week on knots, reading charts, docking and basic sailing maneuvers. The second week, however, I was joined by two full fledged sailors looking to fine tune their already proficient resumes. Sailing Virgins immediately rose to the task, and it was incredible to see how seamlessly they evolved the course to the next level. Thankfully for my own ego, they managed to beautifully transition my rookie abilities into a higher level of sailing within just one week. I felt completely comfortable with the loftier concepts and am confident that my sailing is the better for it.

My initial motivation to book with Sailing Virgins was to experience a sweet vacation and hopefully pick up a few tricks of the trade to become more useful crew on a boat. Having now completed the course, I can now see a glide path to becoming a skipper. I would never have dreamed it was possible if it weren’t for the positive vibes and genuine encouragement from Sailing Virgins.

Whether you are a newcomer to sailing but have an adventurous spirit and want to pick up a new life skill, or a seasoned charterer looking to fine tune your sailing ways, Sailing Virgins is the right place for you!

James K, Owner at Sailing Virgins, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2018

Thanks Sarah. Looking forward to sailing with you next week on our first ever Alumni Sailing Week!

All reviews
"life"
"vacation"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed December 1, 2017 via mobile

Recently finished a weeklong course from Martinique to St. Vincent! This was essentially my first sailing experience, so it was awesome to be able to go from zero practicable skills to contributing crew member. We covered all aspects of sailing and got to hammer away at many of them- from passage planning to parking.

Additionally, the week was an absolute blast. Hell of an adventure through the Caribbean with some awesome people. James and Jack are fantastic sailors and great guys leading the charge. Will definitely be back on another trip!

Awesome to hear, thanks. Yes come back!

Reviewed November 28, 2017

A sailing school, yes, but Sailing Virgins truly is an adventure. Having taken other sailing courses and skippered my own yachts I went in wanting to learn something new, and was totally blown away. James and Jack are phenomenal people who know how to balance instruction and fun. We swam with turtles, walked uninhabited beaches, snorkeled underwater sculptures, and ate incredible Caribbean food(the avocados are huge, not joking). Learned some new Aussie slang, how to cheers properly, and listened to good tunes. And that doesn't even include all the sailing we did. Every day they put us in charge of planning our passage, prepping the boat for sail, hoisting the sails, helming the boat, and anchoring/mooring. There was also plenty of sail theory, knot tying, trimming sails, and reefing. Sailing Virgins is without a doubt the best sailing adventure in the Caribbean. I'm already booking my next trip and look forward to another great time, with fantastic people.

Thanks JT. Was awesome getting to meet you and sail with you. See you next week for Alum Sailing Week #1!

Reviewed November 26, 2017

I'm still not sure how Sailing Virgins managed to combine the most developmental sailing experience I've ever had with an unforgettable, legendary week of adventures...it really is quite impressive. I highly recommend checking them out!

A little backstory:
I was referred to James and Sailing Virgins by my skipper from The Yacht Week because I had shown interest in becoming a skipper for TYW. I had already taken a few ASA classes stateside (101, 103, 104, & 105) but still needed to take 106 in order to apply to Skipper Academy for TYW.

I was considering taking 106 with a local company but after being told about Sailing Virgins I reached out to James, and within a couple of days I had booked my trip to St. Vincent to spend a week aboard Libertas.

When deciding what group I wanted to sail with it came down to quality of instruction. As mentioned, I'd done a few ASA classes with local companies and felt as though the focus was on theory and reviewing the information presented in the book. I did not feel as though I was getting the hands on experience I needed to be a confident skipper and competent sailor.

Sailing Virgins takes a better approach. They focus on developing your skills as a sailor and you get the real-life experience needed to take your sailing to the next level. I can honestly say I am a much better sailor after a week of sailing with these guys. I learned more in one week than I did in all of my other ASA classes combined. There is no substitute for real life practice and Sailing Virgins crushes it in that department.

Aside from the amazing instruction, these guys are just awesome people to spend a week with. I got along great with my fellow students as well as the instructors. There really isn't any better learning environment than being surrounded by passionate, adventurous people. The group dynamic was simply unparalleled.

I completed ASA 106 with Sailing Virgins while we sailed from St. Vincent & the Grenadines to Grenada in November. It was an unforgettable week and I am already planning to book another trip with them in January. I can't recommend Sailing Virgins enough. You won't regret taking a trip with this company!

1  Thank Alex L

Thanks Alex. Looking forward to sailing with you again!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 5, 2017

This trip was incredible. The experience with James and Sailing Virgins was better than I expected. Don't live vicariously through me, make your own experience.

I found Sailing Virgins online looking for a combination of active vacation, sailing instruction, and immersion in world culture. I’m a mixed gas diver, skydiver, skier, and hiker; James and Sailing Virgins exceeded my expectations for an active vacation and delivered a world class experience in Martinique. They were incredibly responsive and worked with me to understand my skill level and schedule me for the right course. I recommend using the Sailing Virgins website as a resource to prepare for the trip and get up to speed on packing lists, travel, travel insurance, and sailing instruction. I booked my own travel to Martinique based on arrival recommendations from Sailing Virgins and met with James in Le Marin, Martinique.

Libertas is a great boat. Onboard and underway we found a healthy balance between meals onboard and dinner ashore. We sailed up the west coast of Martinique, stopping in some amazing coastal towns with some hidden gems for dinner. French Creole restaurants with quality that you would expect to find in Paris, London, or Manhattan but very quaint and low key.

James and Sailing Virgins are extremely professional sailors as well as patient instructors that integrate you in a crew experience. I’ve lived in the Pacific area for about eight years and traveled around the world. I will tell anyone, to include my best friends, they should learn to sail with Sailing Virgins and take the opportunity to experience their own adventure.

Thank You James. See Rule 1. GP

Thanks Garrett. Hoping to get up to Florida soon or even better for you to come down here again!