“Great water view from the terrace, great food, good service”
Review of Ocean 82

Ocean 82
Ranked #13 of 68 Restaurants in Grand Case
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We celebrated my husband's birthday. The view of the beach and water is really fantastic if you can get a table by the water. The food is great. Service is nice and courteous, but a bit slow, which is typical for this island. Great experience overall.

1  Thank Polina111
Write a ReviewReviews (1,404)

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Even though the restaurant is right over the beach, be sure to make reservations so that you can get a close ocean view. It was trendy, but in a relaxed way. My husband and I had a fantastic dinner. The monkfish with curry sauce was out of this world! Pretty view and the wait staff was so attentive. I've read reviews that people love Grand Case, but even though the town disappointed me, this restaurant was worth it! Get there before sunset to have a great view of the sun setting. Find parking on the street where you can as the parking lot was very small.

4  Thank ecogirl71
Reviewed February 28, 2013

On our annual Christmas visit to the island we were disappointed to find La California, a favorite haunt of ours in Grand Case (previously reviewed), had closed and reopened under another name and with a decor and menu of no interest to us. A local noticed our sullen faces, and suggested we give the newly opened Ocean 82 a try. We are grateful to her. Even with no reservation, the gracious Roman gave us a tour of this establishment, including the kitchen, so with the kids gaga over the giant lobsters in the aquarium, we had to stay. Good choice. Seated at an outside table with the wonderful Grand Case sunset bursting forth, we chose an appetizer and 4 mains: the mahi-mahi tartare, then the chicken breast, sesame tuna, lamb shank and sea food bowl (pictured). Each was sumptuous, obviously prepared in that uniquely French way with care and sensitivity to the flavours. I am not a lamb fan, but the shank my daughter ordered - which the maitre d' explained took 24 hours to prepare - made me a believer. The sea food bowl had generous portions of fresh fish and shell fish, with a tangy broth. The tuna was done to perfection, and the chicken was as good as it could be. All accompanied by a robust Chateau Mont-Redon rhone, and topped off with the delightful profiteroles, we were over the moon with the entire experience. We would recommend reservations if you attend after 6:30 pm, and bring your wallet since tips can be made only in cash.

1  Thank Khufu8
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our first visit to Ocean 82, which has taken up the space of the venerable old Fish Pot. It not only replaced the old restaurant's space, but replaced the great food that Fish Pot at its Zenith.

I had the Lobster Linguine and my wife had the Fish Pot (it was nice of them to have this on the menu in homage to the old restaurant's signature dish). Both were marvelous. Leave it to a French restaurant to have great Italian food.

The ambience was great since it was right on the ocean. They had a great wine list too. We chose a Puligny Montrachet Premier Cru that was delightful.

We started the meal with appetizers of Lobster Bisque and Lobster Ravioli. Theirs was a different recipe, but equally good. Unlike some places, they knew how to cook their pasta, and it was outstanding.

The service was good, although we did have to occasionally pour our own wine. The place was packed, and the food and location were obviously the reason.

We'll be back. It's another great restaurant that deserves to be on your short list of fine restaurants to choose from in St. Martin

2  Thank Kmac51
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The appetizer menu is what caught my eye and I tried to convince my husband to order a few to share but he thought he needed a meal to be full so he had the Mahi. It was just soso and came with generic rice and veggies. For the price I would expect more of a presentation on the meal.
The appetizers had an amazing presentation and were very creative. I had the grilled eggplant with buffalo mozzarella and a great sauce and also the steak with brie in a puff pastry. The steak was a little tough for such a thin slice but the flavors were very good.
So many amazing places to eat in Grand Case, I probably wouldnt return.

1  Thank Elizabeth L