“Splendid food...delightful service”

Ranked #14 of 68 Restaurants in Grand Case
Cuisines: Diner, French, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant L' Effet Mer in the heart of the village of Grand-Case, called "the gastronomic capital of the Caribbean" is the new place to be to discover a sophisticated and refined cuisine.
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Don't let the rather shabby exterior fool you. This is a place that delivers wonderful food with good service. Decor is very simple but overlooks the beach.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

food was ok but the service so slow, rude and annoying it made it very difficult to enjoy the food. If they treated customers like they wanted to serve them, I might return. However given the service we received - I'll spend my money elsewhere and so should you

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Hidden gem in Saint Martin/Sint Maarten

L'Effet Mer is one of the three top restaurants on the island. Think it suffers from its location well north of the T-junction in Grand Case. The masses fill the very good restaurants just south of the T. But in our annual two week visit, L'Effet Mer and Le Pressoir are the ones we return to for a second or third dinner. We also return several times for lunch to the superb Bacchus, in Hope Estates.

There is a lovely view of the sea as well. See one lunchtime and one evening photo.

At a recent visit, in addition to our usual three courses, my wife and I shared the foie gras prepared four ways. See photo posted of the description. One element was foie gras diced as if it were a tuna tartare but with small spheres of truffle oil mixed in. Just a touch of molecular gastronomy.

There is a lovely view of the sea, both for lunch and for a romantic dinner.

We started with a deeply flavored mushroom cream amuse bouche soup, along with a slice of smoked swordfish.

For our main course we had fish, with a creative wonderfully light saffron sabayon sauce. A three rice shellfish risotto lay beneath the fish: wild, Thai, and white rice. Equally flavorful. A mussel and clam, in their shells, topped the dish.

For dessert, we did not have the stunning chocolate boule which we have had in previous years. We tried the artisanal wild strawberry and the basil pineapple sorbet which were terrific. Am not normally a fan of pineapple,but in this presentation, it is wonderful. Other desserts are good, but can be had elsewhere on the island or in the USA.

The waitress/owner is delightful, and always willing to share details on the preparation of the food. She clearly loves fine cuisine and her role. Service was good. There are 5+ minutes between courses which we do not mind. Am always concerned that a course that arrives immediately has been on the warming tray for some time.

We , as usual, ate at 4 of the restaurants south of the T. In all but one this year, the food was excellent. The food at L'Effet Mer was better and €20 less for the same array of food.

They, along with several other Grand Case restaurants, accept the SXM privilege card, which reduces the price by 10%. The reduction does not apply to the €29 prix fixe. See posted photo of the prix fixe menu. which brings me to my only criticism. Their website is not very good. On a smart phone or iPad, the prix fixe menu is almost unreadable.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

The high quality of food and service is one reason for applauding this restaurant. The other is the value. At the time of my last visit, it was the only establishment offering a three-course table d'hote menu for under 29 Euros. I wondered whether I would find myself short-changed when I ordered from it. But no — the meal was memorable, starting with the superb lobster bisque. As my main course, I ordered the lamb shanks on a bed of couscous; they were the product of a spicy but flavorful marinade and of slow cooking, and again they were wonderful.
For dessert, the creme brulee was as good as any I've had anywhere — and it was accompanied by scoop of rich expresso ice cream.
There was a reasonably-priced choice of wines by the glass and two types of freshly baked bed. My table overlooking the water was attractively set, and the service both friendly and professional.
The restaurant's a la carte menu also contained an attractive and imaginative selection of food, so next time I'm there — and I definitely will return — I'll sample that as well

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Grand Case was recommended to us as a great place for restaurants on the French side. So we drove up from Marigot and were not disappointed. First, I must say the service was very continental...unhurried, meals beautiful to look at as well as to taste. Second, the food although only lunch was fresh and delicious. My salmon and mahi mahi over a blini included rice and a small salad. My husband's duck was tender and delicious, served with French fries (of course!) and a small salad. Third, the view outside this beachside open air restaurant was gorgeous! Sailboats were moored almost right outside the window.
Grand Case is worth the ride (not that it's that far!) from anywhere on the Dutch side!