“Brilliant food, romantic atmosphere, friendly service”
Review of L'Effet Mer

L'Effet Mer
Ranked #21 of 68 Restaurants in Grand Case
Cuisines: Diner, French, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant L' Effet Mer in the heart of the village of Grand-Case, called "the gastronomic capital of the Caribbean" is the new place to be to discover a sophisticated and refined cuisine.
Reviewed April 2, 2012

L’Effet Mer is on the south side of the main street, so gets sea views. Early diners would get to see the sunset, but it was dark by the time we arrived at 8. We had a table facing the sea; which was quite romantic. The tables are close together, as everywhere in Grand Case, but the room was not full on the Monday night we visited. The food was extremely well prepared and service was friendly. Euros are converted at the market rate at lunch and dinner, but at breakfast they are exchanged at par. Breakfast and lunch customers are also entitled to use the lounge chairs on the beach in front of the restaurant. We ate 5 evening meals at restaurants in Grand Case and, on the basis of the food we ate, rated L’Estaminet, Effet Mer and Auberge Gourmande the best, Bistrot Caraïbes second and La Villa third.
I started with a trio of raw marlin: tartare mixed with hijiki and tarama, which arrived theatrically under a bell glass filled with smoke, mousse in endive leaves, and “rillette” layered with raw fish slices. These were all interesting and tasty concoctions with well-balanced flavours. The same was true of my wife’s trio of foie-gras: pan seared with fig sorbet, pâté with mango jam, and tartare with truffle dressing. As a main we shared an “old wife” (a.k.a. “French sea bass”) a local freshly-caught fish. This was cooked just à point and had a subtle flavour. For dessert (unnecessary, but compelling) we shared a crème brûlée trio: berry ice cream, plain crème brûlée, & crème brûlée bended with berry ice cream. These were all very nice & suitably small. The food came to just under 100 € and the wine around 30 €.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

charming little place where the food is one of the best in grand case
looking foward to go back we realy recomend this place to everybody .

Reviewed April 1, 2012

This little pace on the Boulevard Grand Case sits right on the beach. Your table along the rail looks out on the marvelous blue waters of the Bay and can transfix you as the little boats come and go. We had a just about perfect breakfast here, served cheerfully by a young French waitress and it became an unforgettable moment for us on our honeymoon. I have no idea what the place may be like at other times of day, but if you have the time and inclination for a wonderful breakfast, this is a great stop to make. You won't be sorry.

Reviewed February 29, 2012

Walk through the slightly unprepossessing entrance for one of the finest views imaginable.
The food is typical French carribean at its best.Lots of fresh ingredients and 1st class fish.Chefs Decluseau (really) and Pointeau turn out excellent dishes with rather more class than some of their neighbours.A lunch time visit saw some of the local gendarmerie eating , always a sure fire badge of value and quality in a French area..
Nice friendly waiting staff and worth a detour to visit.
Top Tips; Book ahead for a table with a view and for great value the luch carte is really good.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

We went to St. Martin last May and stayed in Grand Case. It was a great surprise and privilege to discover and dine at “L’Effet Mer”. The staff (Chef Stephane and Damien) are phenomenal. The small beach-front restaurant is peak as the sun goes down and the bay lights up, and the 10-15 table size restaurant ensures optimal service and attention. In all, I ate at the restaurant 4-5 times in the week I stayed in Grand Case. Coming from Montreal, I know when I have landed on a true gem of a restaurant, and this was indeed a rare pearl. Having sampled almost everything on the menu, I can say that Chef knows his stuff. I can also say that having travelled the world a good deal (and its restaurants) this is the one place that has served a perfectly seared fois gras (amid a good 20 4-5 star restaurants that I have tried this at thus far). The cuisine is elegant and delicious, and for those that want a particular treat, the desert that is the specialty is a chocolate globe ornately painted (looking like a Christmas tree decoration) that is then set on fire with high-proof alcohol, and as the flames subside, the chocolate melts to reveal an ice cream, fresh fruit and peta zeta delight inside.

Chef is only the second person to whom I have entrusted blind faith; I simply went in on the third night and said “serve me whatever you’d like; surprise me”, and indeed he did. Having visited the Dutch side of the island the next day, and making some friends from the US, I suggested they try this restaurant. That night it rained torrentially and when we got to the restaurant, we found our friends from the Dutch side that had braved the rains (having taken them 1.5 hours to drive in those conditions) that were finishing their meal. Despite the time and the inclement weather, they thanked me for suggesting the place, which in their tenth annual visit to St. Maarten was the best restaurant they had been to.

I am going back to Grand Case this May, and I can tell you without a doubt that L’Effet Mer will again be my restaurant of choice.

1  Thank GreciaBella