“Lovely!”

Ranked #12 of 68 Restaurants in Grand Case
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Ouvert midi et soir tous les jours, bord de mer .Wifi
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were eager to explore Grand Case, called by some the "Culinary Capital of the Caribbean". We could only do lunch, so I had a list of the top rated spots that were open for lunch in hand, as we got off the cab. We walked the main street, Grand Case Blvd, as well as the beach, and ultimately settled on Le Tastevin and we are very glad that we did. I don't know what happened to the reviewer who wrote an extremely negative review of the place, but I can say that everything he said, well, the exact opposite was our experience. We had a beautiful table looking over the water, incredible ambiance with that alone, but the tables are set beautifully, the server was very gracious, the interior is impeccably clean and warmly welcoming. We absolutely loved the rolls - they are extremely fresh and are in the baking powder biscuit family, so the texture is heavier - very delicious! We ordered the red fish fillet which was expertly cooked, beautifully presented, and the chicken salad with roasted mango and pineapple, which was delicious although the dressing seemed watery, not a full-bodied balsamic, and in fact, literally, watery. Our server recommended a lovely white wine by the glass to go with the fish, as well as the very hot day. When we were ready, he graciously called a cab for us (no cab stand in Grand Case in the afternoon, at least not at this time of year) which arrived promptly, and back to Philipsburg we went, with many happy memories of Le Tastevin, until the next time!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We arrived on their first night of the season, and in the middle of a tropical storm. Despite this we were able to sit overlooking the waves of the Caribbean lapping on the sand below. The food and service were great - so much so that when it was time to leave the owner insisted on driving us back to our hotel to avoid us having to pay for a taxi. We certainly don't get this from restaurants in London when it rains!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The food was outstanding. My husband and I shared and appetizer, main course and dessert so we could have it all and they separated it all for us in a wonderful presentation. The food was outstanding, the service and atmosphere could not have been better. We will go back the next time we are in St. Martin. I love the fact that you can visit this wonderful Island and feel that you have been to Paris also!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Place is ok... It's nice that is on the water, but for us and a random family we ran into during our stay the food was bad. Let me be fare, the best meal was the deserts and it was ok. Let me start with the bread, it seemed like day old bread. The bottle of water was 25% more expensive then all the restaurants across the street or around him. The initial server was nice, but the owner has a short fuse. I found and I kid you not, a piece of silver plastic in my food, not as decoration. As if some small kids toys was blended and served to us. When I brought this to the attention of the owner he said, "so what, I got you another one." Now I don't know about you, but in NY/NJ, people would do anything to make sure your happy. Not at this place, to qoute the owner again, " it's rediculous." food is not worth it, service sucks, owner is rediculous.
To summarize, go across the street to any of the 3 next to him, villa, auberge gromadge, or bistrot caribes, much better environment, much better food, much better staff. And funny enough the owner saw us eating across the street and started bad mouthing us to that owner, such poor manners.

15  Thank John Z
Reviewed August 18, 2012

One of the great places in la case. For us Yanks I would say: discover French restaurant food without having to go to France. It is haute cuisine not that bistro is bad but here you get classic French food. The price compared to New York is half. So only a small fortune. So indulge.