“St, Martin and Hotel L'Esplanade”
Review of Hotel L'Esplanade

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Case
Hotel L'Esplanade
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Reviewed May 21, 2007

Hotel L'Esplanade is a very nice property. The room was kept clean, but there was bird excrement on the railing of the deck that I had to clean myself, as the maid didn't do it.
As far as the only way to see Saint Martin/ Sint Maarten is by car,
the only problem is the only place you can park is at the gas stations. Parking is a real problem there.

7  Thank AndyToth

Reviewed May 20, 2007

My wife and I stayed here from April 30-May 5. We absolutely loved L'Esplanade and really want to go back for our 5-year anniversary. My wife was trying to scheme out a way that we could stay in St. Martin for a few months as we were leaving.
I researched this trip like crazy on trip advisor before choosing this place. I was extremely picky and looked at every island in the Caribbean listed on trip advisor. Let me say that the high reviews that this place has received are warrented and my expectations were exceeded.
I am trying hard to think of any negatives about it. Sometimes you had to wait a couple minutes at the front desk. Parking is tight. There is a bit of a walk up the hill when you are coming back at the end of the day. I'm really reaching for something bad to say.
Now here are some of the things that made our stay so wonderful. The island itself is very beautiful. It seems that we came at a very mild and pleasant time of year. Hot but not oppresive. Nice breeze.
L'Espanade is located on a hill and all the rooms (to my knowledge) face the ocean. We could lay on our bed and see the water. We were in the oversized loft and I am so glad we chose that. Beautiful dark woods, nice clean furniture. The bed was beautiful and just the right firmness. No matter how badly we messed up the place housekeeping always made it look pretty again. They put little flowers everywhere- even in the shower. There were all kinds of nice touches. The soap they provide was so nice I had to buy a bar to take back with me. They changed our sheets whenever we needed it without asking, they even washed our dirty dishes we left in the sink. No bugs or pests. No worries at all.
Rosie and Allen work the pool bar and are extremely pleasant. Ask for Rosie's grilled chicken- it is honestly some of the best food I had suring our stay and we ate a lot of wonderful food.
Marcus, the guy that runs the rental car service, does a great job and is a very nice guy. Our car was even better than expected.
Restaurant row is really within easy walking distance (maybe 10 minutes?) and has awesome food and great service.
I really pray that we will be able to come back and visit some day soon. What a relaxing and peaceful time. Truly the perfect honeymoon.

A couple tips:
bring your own DVDs or be prepared to pay a $40 deposit to rent while you are here. The beach is okay at Le Petite (sister hotel you have access to) but not that great. There is a little pizzeria on restaurant row that has crazy good mint springrolls- the best springrolls we have ever had. There is a little bakery off of Gran Case road that sells fresh baked bread and crossaints with various fillings for dirt cheap and they are so good. I am a cautious person but I felt very safe going to all the local places and even the 'bad' neighborhoods on the island are full of friendly people (unlike the US).

If you are looking for a quiet, romantic, and charming hotel- this is the place!

11  Thank mike_artist
Reviewed May 15, 2007

I couldn't have been MORE thrilled by my stay at Hotel L'Esplanade. From arrival to our sad departure, our stay could not have been more memorable, relaxing and wonderful!

The moment we drove up the hill to the hotel, we were ensconsed by the gorgeous flora and fauna of the island! (The landscaping around the hotel was so lovely!) When we pulled up to the reception entry way, we were happily greeted by one of the many pleasant and accomodating employees of the hotel.

Lead to our room, the door opened to a lovely and cool room...my boyfriend and I felt like kids at Christmas. The rooms are gorgeous AND functional!! Each room has a kitchen - so, eating out for every meal is not neccessary - although, the hotel did provide us with the option of having breakfast delivered to our rooms in the morning. AND - the pool bar makes some delicious drinks and tasty bites!

We weren't sure how we would feel about overlooking the ocean vs. staying on the beach, BUT - on St. Martin/St. Maarten - THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE!!! We loved our sunset views! AND, on the island, being on the beach is not essential because there are so many to see AND visit.

This couldn't have been the more perfect hotel to call our home away from home! We will definitely be returning as soon as possible!!!!

5  Thank JGKREW
Reviewed May 13, 2007

I agree with all the other positive reviews. This hotel is very well maintained, staff very helpful without being intrusive. My suite was spotless, roomy and very restful.

This hotel will definitely get my repeat business.

Monica

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank nycmonica
Reviewed May 12, 2007

We honeymooned on St. Martin for a week after getting married on St. John last June. We cannot say enough about how great L'Esplanade was. Car rental (handled through the hotel) was flawless after flying in. The room was excellent and after they had heard that we we recently married (we didn't mention beforehand that we were honeymooning) they immediately brought a bottle of chilled champagne to our room - a nice welcome to say the least. This hotel is also in a great location as the view is great, the secluded pool is fantastic, and it is within walking distance to the large collection of gourmet restaurants in Grande Case. The only potential negatives that I can mention include the small nearby airport that was visible from our room (but was not a bother at all to us, possibly an eyesore to some) and the shower that was not so good at containing all of the water. Regardless, this is the best hotel that we have ever stayed at and needless to say, we would highly recommend L'Esplanade!

6  Thank lpc13
Reviewed April 7, 2007

Our family of 5 stayed at this beautiful hotel at the end of March. We had already stayed at the Westin (nice, typical US resort)for 5 nights and decided to move to the French side of the island. Many travel websites raved about LeEsplanade and we had high expectations. The folks at the hotel DID NOT disappoint us - it was a wonderful experience....we felt like we were family from the check-in! They were so helpful in guiding us to the right restaurants and when our car got broken into (at a beach 15 min away), they assisted us with the language barriers. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank Susan N
Reviewed March 27, 2007

Six day stay was superb.
The grounds and accomodations were exceptional. New feature was a Friday free appetizer and open bar reception around the pool hosted by Christine (she and her husband own the resort).
The resort is just high enough above sea level to get a great evening breeze. The daily ritual of chosing a Grand Case restaurant and then walking the restaurant strip was a terrific vacation interlude. For restaurants our top votes go to Spiga and Hibiscus--the Cafe Calamois serves cold beer and not too spicy fried jalapenos right on the sand beach. The best beaches are Ile Pinel and Orient--both different and both attractive. Resort staff were very accomodating. The view of the sunsets was inspiring--attached picture may not do it justice.
This recommendation is made without any hesitation or reservation.

• Stayed: March 2007
#1 of 1 in Terres Basses
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond

Been to Hotel L'Esplanade? Share your experiences!