“L'Esplanade”
Review of Hotel L'Esplanade

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Case
Hotel L'Esplanade
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Reviewed March 15, 2013

A fantastic experience for at "at home luxury" experience in the Caribbean. From the owners to the staff there is no better hotel in St. Martin. Steps to the beaches and wonderful french cuisine mixed with the local fare creates the perfect atmosphere for family and couples.

Room Tip: All rooms are equipped with Granite and cooking utensils if you choose to go to the wonderful marke...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eric R

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My mother and I stayed here for one night before embarking on a cruise. I wanted to stay on the French side in a hotel that was walking distance to town and restaurants. L'Esplanade fulfilled all of these expectations and more. The moment we arrived we were upgraded to a duplex room with balcony and gorgeous view! I imagine all of the rooms have views. The cd player was playing island tunes (really nice touch in my opinion), fresh flowers were in every bathroom, nice toiletries, and a complimentary large bottle of water. The room was tastefully furnished although the upstairs loft area was a little tight with a king sized bed and the upstairs bathroom could use a light in the shower. But, these were minor issues as the property was lovely--really nice pool with swim-up bar (they had a local island band playing on Saturday afternoon which was wonderful!) and lunch is also served at the bar (good food). Everyone was very friendly and helpful at the hotel and in the town of Grand Case--very French (although most speak English)..wonderful French restaurants on the water.
The hotel brought breakfast to our room for a small fee...fresh made french quiches...would have also been nice to have a fruit option (not just juice).
I would definitely go back. Beautiful, peaceful, Caribbean spot with a French Flavor! Voila!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cymarion
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Room and building is clean and well maintained, updated. The king sized bed is super-comfortable and gave me a wonderful nights sleep every night.

We stayed in the deluxe studio which I believe is the smallest room. It's on the lowest level and has great views of the bay and sunset over the bay. The kitchen and bathroom were updated and I was surprised that the kitchen was a full kitchen. It felt like it belonged in the room as opposed to something they just tacked on to the side or a remnant from a conversion like some other suites I have stayed in in other cities.

One comment to the hotel - there should be an exhaust for the bathrooms - there is nowhere for the moisture to go. I've found this to be typical in all Carribbean hotels though so it seems to be a standard omission.

Staff is helpful and attentive. Housekeeping makes everything clean and fresh everyday. AND housekeeping is very friendly and always has a smile on their faces!

Get directions from the hotel before you go because the car rental place did not know and when someone finally told me from the rental place, they gave me misleading information.

This town is great for food. The beach nearby is ok and will satisfy urgent beach needs. 10 minutes by car away is an even better beach - Orient Bay. But hotels over there don't have the eating opportunities and they will be too noisy, loose the sun earlier in the day due to being on the east side w/ mountain blocking the sun. Staying in Grand Case allowed us to leisurely walk into town for dinner and saunter back very full and a little wobbly. The path going up to the hotel is lit with security on the grounds (usually about 2/3 up the bath there is a security person).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TomFallon
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with a great view. The pool and pool bar are fantastic. The bartender is awesome and makes great drinks! The only downers were the walk up the hill from the village and the run down parts of the neighborhood on the walk back from the village. The staff was great about setting up trips to Saint Barth and cabs. We prefer a beach front property, but this is a great hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DonTucker
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We make this travel in 3 couples, so we prefer to stay at the Villa, that is a house with 3 suites next to the hotel, with full hotel services and assistance.
The house is very well equiped, specially the full kitchen. The hotel personal are very atentious and know how to respect your privacy
The location is excellent as you are with Grand Case at your feet.
Overall a excelent experience

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Petre
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We continued our Honeymoon on St. Martin after a few special days in Anguilla. Because we rented a car through L'Esplanade they had a car service pick us up when we arrived via the public ferry in Marigot. When we got to the hotel the rental car guy was there waiting and the hotel host, Morgane, checked us in and thoroughly explained all the hotel services in detail. The hotel has a breezy Moroccan feel to it and I would recommend it for it's view, pool and location (restaurants and relatively quieter French side).

Our bags were brought to our studio room (smallish), which every time we entered had a faint musty smell but that was quickly forgotten when we saw the beautiful view out the sliding glass doors. The balcony was great to sit at in the morning whilst having breakfast (made from goodies we got at the large grocery store, Simply, a short drive away) overlooking Grand Case and the blue sea. My only suggestion to the hotel would be to have the leaf blower guy, unless it was absolutely necessary, wait until after 10am to start up the loud machine or just use a rake. Oh yeah, the little bag of coffee provided was excellent! The bed and pillows were very comfortable and we slept great. The bathroom although small was nice. I'm sure the non-studio rooms are bigger.

We especially liked the pool area and the pleasant walkway down to the town of Grand Case. The pool area was nicely landscaped with various palm trees and the ground was soft grass peppered with unique tiles. I felt like Keith Richards or some Rock Star hanging by my private pool. Happy hour is 5pm-6pm, 2 for 1 drinks! In Grand Case we ate seaside at Ocean 82 which was excellent. The lamb shank was awesome and my wife's lobster pasta was decadent. I wouldn't, however, recommend the lobster ravioli appetizer.

Near the hotel, Grand Case isn't the best place for swimming but I would recommend Petit Plage. After walking down the path to the street, make a right and walk a few 100 yards and there is a public entrance to the beach just past the Sunset Cafe. Ultimately you need a car in St. Martin to explore and find your own perfect beaches. Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mr_orchard
Reviewed February 19, 2013

In many respects, this was a five circle property, but in others it was a three circle property. We arrived late on Friday afternoon and after a couple of minutes were greeted and invited to follow the greeter to our room. As we started to pick up our suitcases, the greeter asked if we would be able to manage. My wife and I looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders and said we could manage a couple of stairs with our bags (which were on wheels). We then were showed into a beautiful loft suite. The first level included a full kitchen with some amenities like cookies and tea and coffee included and a powder room The living room opened onto a deck that had a full view of the sea (although you couldn't see the beach). Upstairs there was a large bedroom with another balcony and a very, very comfortable bed. The bathroom was top notch and included a large walk-in rain shower and top level amenities. But, you noticed that we said upstairs. We were left to carry up our bags to the loft. And, the steps were overwaxed and almost inevitably, I did slip, fall and bruise my foot.

The grounds were very nice and the small pool had a small bar and comfortable loungers. We were a little disappointed in the service at the bar. I had a non-descript margarita while my wife had some wine that had seen better days. Also I note that while the loungers at the pool were very nice, the lounger on our private balcony collapsed the first time I tried to use it.

A couple of other notes: breakfast (not included) was very good and delivered almost to the minute for the time requested; the restaurants in Grand Case (a walk down the path from the hotel are outstanding; and while there was no restaurant, I understand that the bar serves food at lunch time -- we were away from the property at lunch so we never had any.

Overall this property was lovely, but didn't work perfectly for us. For others, it might be perfect.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Terres Basses
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond

Been to Hotel L'Esplanade? Share your experiences!