“Alain is the friendliest person at L'Esplanade”
Review of Hotel L'Esplanade

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Case
Hotel L'Esplanade
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Reviewed January 24, 2008

L'Esplanade is a gorgeous boutique hotel, but the service is less than savory. Any time we called the front desk to ask a question, the person who picked up (one of them being Philomena, a manager), seemed as if we were inconveniencing them. They were curt and unfriendly. There was another young lady who checked us in, and she was far from welcoming. We expected her to tell us more about the hotel and surrounding area; unfortunately she seemed disinterested and lazy. Hopefully this review will change their negative attitude.

I must note that there was one man that brought our bags to our room and was extremely helpful and enthusiastic that we were staying with L'Esplanade. And Alain, the bartender at the pool, was the friendliest person at the hotel. He took the time to talk to us, tell us about St. Martin, and made some amazing drinks to boot! The housekeeping was excellent. Our room was always impeccably clean.

The hotel is in a good location, just a short walk away from restaurant row. Stand outs for us were L'Hibiscus and Spiga. Definitely grab some BBQ at one of the Lolos, and watch the sunset at Calmos Cafe.

Make sure you bring lots of cash -- there are VERY FEW ATMs on the island, and the one closest to the hotel was broken.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
9  Thank 143JTKC
There are newer reviews for Hotel L'Esplanade

Reviewed January 13, 2008

What can I say, i was a little worried booking it myself versus a travel agent, but from the beginning the staff was warm and accomendating. They even booked all our dinner reservations for us which were perfect. Upon arriving no hassel warm and welcoming to us took us directly to our room which was gorgeous just like the pictures a welcome basket with bread, cookies, coffee tea and a bottle of champagne. This was the first vacation that I never had to call the desk to complain that there was a problem. The maid service was the best I have ever had and I travel alot. The view is to die for every morning with my coffee out on the balcony and looking at the view puts you in the best of moods for the whole day. We met the owners at a welcome party an they are lovely. We tried this versus a big name hotel and it was perfect. Quiet, stressfree vacation. i will return again and tell everyone how great this trip was.

Stayed: December 2007
11  Thank fairster
Reviewed January 7, 2008

This hotel was booked based upon the glowing reviews on this site, and it was actually better than expected. Everything is very nice, with balcony's in every room overlooking the bay. Service was fantastic, providing a free bottle of champaigne for our honeymoon.

Within walking distance to over 20 brilliant restaurants. Be sure to hit up Calmos Cafe during the day, relaxing on the beach and then having a great lunch.

13  Thank chicagotimmy
Reviewed December 28, 2007

What more can be added about this hotel? The room, the grounds, the staff, the bathroom products, the pool, the pool loungers......all top shelf!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank jakesbackdoor
Reviewed December 24, 2007

22/12/2007

Just returned from a 10 day stay @ Hotel L'Esplanade. My Wife and I had a one bedroom suite for the duration. For context, we have had the good fortune to have stayed at some premiere hotels around the world such as Hotel Meurice, Manele Bay, Four Seasons Exuma/Maui/Paris, etc...so we were of course somewhat guarded in our expectations for L'Esplanade notwithstanding all of the rave reviews here. It was our first trip to this island and we based our hotel choice on the reviews from this site.

Arrangements for pick up at the airport were handled efficiently by the Hotel's rental car agency and we were met promptly on arrival by a cheerful albeit lead-footed driver who delivered us to the Hotel unscathed but not thrilled about his unsettling need for speed - he really was reckless and created lots of drama on the ride where none was required. Happily, my wife restrained me from...(fill in the blank).

Once arrived, check-in was easy. The hotel lobby is very small but apropos to a boutique hotel - airy and very clean, handy access to internet at a nicely appointed desk, refreshing lemon water, fluffy towels, daily newspapers, free DVD loans, plenty of paperbacks to borrow gratis...

Our room was large (900 square feet+), well appointed, and very up to date regarding furnishings, appliances, bedding, etc. The modest kitchen had everything one needed to prepare light breakfasts through to proper suppers. Great convection oven, dishes, cutlery, toaster, coffee maker, etc. Bring your own Chef's knife if you are really looking to cook.

The property itself is most excellent - if you are not looking for resort style ammenities (no spa, gym, extensive room service, etc.) the hotel is a 9/10 for sure. We were probably most impressed by the serious approach to cleanliness and maintenance everywhere on the property.

Access to the main attractions in Grand Case was only minutes away. An easy walk or very brief drive.

The daily servicing of our room surpassed that of any property we have yet stayed at - truly careful attention to detail and, as noted above, spotless at all times. Remarkable how this diligence by the cleaning staff enhances one's stay by a great degree. Cannot overstate this aspect of our experience there.

Also the pool area was superlative - quite private, great lunches, friendly and gracious staff at the bar.

Overall the hotel staff was very helpful and courteous. Exceeded expectations on all levels.

St. Martin itself may not be a destination we will choose to visit again in the immediate future but should we decide to we would have no hesitation to book at L'Esplanade.

Highly recommended.

25  Thank falkirkgcl
Reviewed December 8, 2007

I just returned from a week at Hotel L'Esplanade. I have traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean and I've got to say, this visit to Grand Case was one of the best in terms of lodging, food, and service.

I originally booked 5 nights at L'Esplanade but extended my stay to 8 nights after a few days at the hotel. My original booking was for a deluxe loft where I spent my first 5 nights. The loft had a great view of the ocean and Grand Case. The hotel was fully booked during my stay so I was thrilled when I decided to stay 3 nights longer and they were able to get me into a 1 bedroom suite that had just completed renovation the day I was to leave. The staff went out of their way to ready the suite for me and it was well worth it. The 3 nights in the 1 bedroom suite was the most amazing hotel experience I've ever had. Everytime I returned to the room, I was struck by how beautifully it was decorated. Everyone who visited me at the hotel gasped as they turned the corner into the living room and saw the beautifully framed view of Grand Case and the ocean.

Everyone at L'Esplanade, from the cleaning crew to the gardeners, to the staff in the office, were extremely friendly and helpful. The pool bar opened for the season during my stay and I met some absolutely wonderful people there from both Europe and the US. The bartender, Allen, is a great guy and was always entertaining.

The walk to Grand Case and restaurant row is very easy (10 minutes) down a well-maintained path. During the day I spent most of my time on the beach at Calmos Cafe. I felt like a regular at Calmos after just a day or 2 due to the owner Alex and his staff. The beach at Calmos is the best within walking distance and you can use the Cafe's lounge chairs and umbrellas if you're drinking or eating there. They also have live music on Thursday and Sunday night. Most nights I ate at one of the restaurants on restaurant row. My favorites: Spicy, Le Pressoir, Le Cottage, and Le Escapade. A few restaurants have $1=1 euro if you pay in cash which is a tremendous deal considering $1=1.4 euro at the moment. Get lots of cash when you land on the Dutch side as there are no ATMs in Grand Case and it's a drive to the nearest one on the Dutch side.

I ventured to the Dutch side of the island a few times. The only memorable visit was to Bliss nightclub in Maho Bay. The club was really nice and reminded me of something out of Mykonos. It was an outdoor club with a great mix of hip hop and dance music. The night I was there, they were featuring a dj from nyc. Even when it started raining around 3am, everyone just kept dancing. The cab ride to Bliss was not too bad at $50 for a group of 5 people.

I rented a car from David Charles who keeps a stable of cars at Hotel L'Esplanade. The hotel can put you in touch with David. David's a great guy and will drive you to the airport for free if you rent a car from him. That's a great deal if you're flying in/out of the Dutch side which is a 30 minute drive/$25 or so.

Overall, this was one of the best trips I've had to the Caribbean. Hotel L'Esplanade is worth every penny and Grand Case is the best place to stay in St. Martin if you're looking for great food, great people, and some downtime from the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
16  Thank BostonFitz
Reviewed December 7, 2007

Our last stay at L'Esplanade was about 6 years ago and we absolutely loved the hotel then. Time frequently dulls memories, but in this case, those memories were still spot on.

This hotel is just as beautiful as its website (and your photos) indicate. The hotel is immaculate, the rooms are spotless and the staff is wonderful. In fact, the only slight complaint I have is that our bed seemed just a tad too firm, but I still managed to sleep soundly every night!

We did not use the pool at the hotel since we prefer to spend our days at Orient Beach. We love not having to drive to dinner - it's so nice to be able to stroll down the hill for dinner. We also walked to breakfast each morning rather than take advantage of the rather pricey breakfast that could be ordered from the hotel.

In some other reviews, there has been mention of a welcome bottle of wine. We didn't receive this,but instead we got a very nice, heavy duty beach bag. In addition, we also had a loaf of good bread, cookies, coffee and a very large bottle of water. The kitchen is well equipped for basic cooking, and impeccably clean. There was an ironing board and iron in our room, as well as a handy rack. We also appreciated the half-bath downstairs.

I cannot imagine staying anywhere else on the island.

7  Thank MGCTravels
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel

Been to Hotel L'Esplanade? Share your experiences!