“Pleasant and Personable Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel L'Esplanade

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Case
Hotel L'Esplanade
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Richmond, Virginia
“Pleasant and Personable Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

L'Esplanade is a beautiful, well maintained property located within walking distance of restaurant row and the beach. Additionally, the best word to describe the Front Desk staff is accommodating. Nathalie, in particular, helped turn what could have been a terrible last night into a wonderful one, though each employee went above and beyond. We were so glad we chose this location in Grand Case, we liked the vibe and felt very comfortable and safe here. We got around no problem with the buses on the island or just walking with minimal french and enjoyed the pool and happy hour when we weren't out and about.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Ft Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

Ok. If you want an authentic experience of the Isle of St. Martin, stay here. Secured away from the busyness of restaurant row, which is not overwhelmingly busy at all...just enough to experience the night life and beach fun, you will find peace, tranquility, and a breathtaking view during sunset and sunrise. You will be well attended to or left to yourself as the staff will pick up on this just by your demeanor. I love this island because of the mixture of native locals to french locals who allow the influx of American, and European travelers alike to enjoy the glorious cuisine, breathtaking scenery, and eclectic shops to meander through. Most shops and restaurants do not open until 5:00, because most are at the beach, or sailing to Anguilla, Tintamarre, and St Barthes for the day. Those trips cost between 85.00-120.00 american dollars per person but include a 9-5:30 snorkeling day trip, wonderful lunch, bar while sailing, and two stops along the way. Anguilla is a must see destination. Unforgettable beach...We have never seen anything like this. The most impressive restaurants by far are La Villa, Spiga, and Spicy for evening dining. Lunch you have to stop at the roadside bbq dining in which you will only pay $15 for two. Amazing and delicious! Favorite beach side eating was at Zen it. Looks like a shack, but has glorious fish, and simple dishes. Pina Coladas and smoothies for $5.00. The presentation looks like Art work! With lunch, the beach chairs are free. Also, the smoothest beach began at Zen It. Too rocky and rough by Grande Case Beach Resort. Which is nice if you are looking for a resort type environment on the beach. We did our research before we left, and I am happy we did. When we arrived, it was even better than expected. We only had to take a taxi to and from the airport which was a $36 dollar charge, and they did not try and rip us off. The hotel took care of all our dinner reservations, cab rides, and if we needed any cash, they handled that for us. The ATM machines are a bit farther, and a cab ride away. L'Esplanade, hands down the place to stay for peace, room with an amazing view and a terrace. The only reason to leave this end of the island is to go shopping in strip malls reminiscent of Americana that are overpriced. We went for a change of scenery, and a change of the everyday. My favorite part of dining was that the chef and waiter were confidant in their cooking that they did not have to ask us to "cut into our meat" to see if it was cooked correctly. They also did not hover. I love being uncomfortably displaced in another country. It helps me grow as a person. We stayed seven days, and I was not ready to leave. We missed our children, but I cannot wait for them to come back with us. Traveling is an education as much as a retreat.

Room Tip: King Suite, second Floor. At least second floor facing the Sea.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tanya P
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

I was introduced to this property by friends who had stayed there for many years. My delux studio well laid out, very functional for single or couple, and in immaculate condition. Not sure how old this property is, but it is very well maintained and recently updated with the latest in contemporary plumbing and appliances in the kitchenette.
The property is on the side of a hill overlooking Grand Case Bay facing west, so the sunsets are gorgeous! The grounds are meticulously maintained with a small intimate pool area off the entrance dirve.
A short 5-10 minite walk down to the beach are introduces you to a mirid of resturaunts to satisfy any appitite and is known locally as "resturaunt row"; a great description.
And finally, the staff is great! Kristin, part of the family ownership, lives on the premises, so every detail is personally attended to. What I particularly like about thier operation is they absolutely leave you alone, but if you want or need anything, they pull out all the stops to solve the issue immediately; done!
While on the island, I spent a good deal of time traveling from one end to the other, and can think of no other place I would rather stay on my next trip to St. Martin

Room Tip: All rooms have Bay view, but some balconies have open arbor vs pitched roofs.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Thomas N
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

This was our second stay at esplanade. We were there for eight days in february. Kristin and her staff are unbelievable. They make you feel at home the minute you step foot on property. If you are looking for somewhere quiet and relaxing then this is the place for you. Whatever you need to staff is more than willing to accomondate. It was my wife's birthday while we stayed there and i had them arrange for flowers and a cake while we were gone and it was waiting for us when we got back.

Allen the bartender is by far the best. We really enjoyed 2 for 1 happy hour at the pool then walking up to our room to watch the sunset on our patio!

We cant wait for our next visit!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Chrisgemar
Whitman, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

My wife and I went here on our honeymoon back in 1999. If you want to be catered too hand and foot your going to the wrong place. This is a beautiful place for do it yourselfers to explore, relax and enjoy the local surroundings. We didnt need the staff to cater to our every whim but when we had any questions about anything they were very helpful. Some people are just too damned spoiled and cant do anything for themselves. If your not afraid of a little adventure this place is awesome. The rooms are impeccably clean, the air conditioning super cold when needed, the local food incredible, and the casinos on the opposite side of the island are great fun and better left on that side. I would love to go back again someday and if I do I will stay at this hotel. That is all!!

Room Tip: A room with a loft is your best bet but all have good views.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Ringwood, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel L'Esplanade for 4 nights at the end of February. Our first impression was good as the hotel grounds are very well maintained and the woman who checked us in was very nice. Our room wasn't ready so we went to the pool bar, had a lovely lunch and when we got to our deluxe studio, our bags were already upstairs and we were given a nice tour of the room. The view was beautiful!
The pool is small with very few sunny spots and those were often "saved" by other guests. It was a little frustrating to see empty chairs "saved" all day. However, as someone who only visits the pool early in the morning, it wasn't a terribly big deal for me. I could see it being more of an issue for someone who likes to sit by the pool in the sun for extended periods.
The hotel's location is very convenient to Grand Case Boulevard and Orient Beach. The drive to Orient was less than 10 minutes and the walk to the center of Grand Case was about 5 minutes. While the hotels doesn't offer many amenities, it was nice to be walking distance to all the great restaurants. I wished there were more breakfast options as Sunset Cafe at Grand Case Beach Club was fair at best for breakfast.
Overall, I found the hotel lovely if limited in what they offered. But the rooms were clean, the staff was friendly and is was by far the nicest hotel in town. Sleep quality was only ok. The bed was a bit bumpy and the walls thin. I woke up each night from noise from the room next door. The little aiport nearby was no issue at all. I am glad I chose it but I am not sure if it's worth a return visit. Anguilla next time...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WhoWantsToGo
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

My partner and I just completed our stay at L'Esplanade. Everything about the hotel is perfect - like so much of Grand Case, it's beautiful and chic yet also effortlessly casual and understated. If you want a scene or want to be seen, go to St. Barts, but we wanted a place to collapse, disappear... go to the beach (Le Petit Plage - right beside the nearby Grand Case Beach Club - is beautiful and peaceful, and the restaurant at the Beach Club has delicious food for both breakfast and lunch, overlooking the ocean. We did this every morning, it's just a stroll from the hotel) And then... you get to have great meals every night at one of the many great restaurants, also just minutes from the hotel. Our favorite was Bistro Caraibes on our last night - get the lobster and the hot chocolate cake. The staff of L'Esplanade was extremely helpful in every way, and our room - an oversized loft - was handsome and large, with two balconies pointing directly to the sea and a very comfortable bed. We wanted a perfect albeit short winter getaway from the craziness of NYC, and we were tremendously lucky to find L'Esplanade and the pleasures of Grand Case. I wouldn't have changed a thing. We'll be back, that's for sure. Worth the splurge.

Room Tip: Loved our oversized loft, but we saw other rooms and they are all great and recently renovated
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Belmond La Samanna
Belmond La Samanna
#1 of 1 in Terres Basses
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,082 reviews

Been to Hotel L'Esplanade? Share your experiences!