“Great pool with a view”
Review of Hotel L'Esplanade

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Case
Hotel L'Esplanade
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Val des Monts, Qc
“Great pool with a view”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Another pool stimulated review. We were not here in March 2011 but before.

This pool over looks Grand Case and is wonderful to hang out in the day or evening. We were here during the Heineken race week so there were even more sail boats in the bay than usual, the evening views of the mooring lights are worth spending a hour or two. The pool is old world very blue and a quiet place.

The food op is a concession, very good, fresh, simple & not expensive. The concession is family run and therefore the atmosphere is tranquil, no boozing & cruising, enjoy as will & be civil. People here are from all over so if you want chat there are interesting opportunities.

The hotel is quite the place, my wife cried when we she walked into the room, sort of pre-hip nautical, lots of teak, tile, Putamao World Music in room and amazing views. Bathroom is built for two, the living room is still a good size even it shares the island kitchen and the bedroom is just fine, good bedding, in-room safe...

Mountain side so lots of stairs and if you like to walk you can spend hours doing it shopping for a restaurant, browsing funky boutiques or choose to buy your wine, dinner and assemble it in room as we did. The balcony and the pool provide the best seats in the house for all the entertainment we needed. We only spent a night here coming back from Anguilla, tried to get into the Petit Hotel where we had stayed before but it was booked so we chose this sister property at little more.

Room Tip: If you can't handle stairs don't stay here, if you can there isn't a bad room in the pla...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GrowlerMonkey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
boston,ma
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Previous reviews have commented on the large beautiful rooms that are immaculatly kept up. The hotel is quiet and the beds are fabulous. I would particularly like to comment on issues that have been of concern to others.
The office is open from 7:30 to 9 and I found the women that work there very helpful. After hours there is a night watchman who immediately stopped a loud telphone call by a distressed guest near our bedroom. An apology from the guest was waiting the next AM. Kristin, the owner-manager together with her husband, is fabulous and around most of the time.
I suspect the season matters but we encountered no bugs in January.
The hotel is not on the beach but on a beautiful hill side, a 6 or 7 minute walk to Grand Case and the best food in the Carribean. A local beach is a 7-8 minute walk. The world famous Orient Beach only 10-12 minutes by car.
An excellent supermarket is a 4 minute drive.
The hotel is near the small Grand Case air port. The noise from the small planes, that don't start before 8 AM and don't fly at night did not bother us.

Room Tip: The extra large loft bedroom units are wonderful
3 Thank baskin
WILMINGTON NC
Reviewed February 15, 2012

This was our second visit to this Hotel. The instant you arrive you are treated like family. Everyone at the hotel will go out of their way to make sure you are having a great time. They book trips,, make reservations for restaurants and in general take care of all your needs. The property is immaculate and the rooms Fabulous. We have stayed in a Loft and a studio, both great. Don't hesitate , well worth the money. Oh yeah, they are also within walking distance to the best French restaurants without being in France. Very cool

1 Thank DOYSTERBAR
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I am starting my last night here and write this from our balcony as the sun sets in front and glass of wine to my right. :> This is a very well maintained and managed hotel. The staff has been accomodating and helpful. Their recommendations have been on point. I would definitely return here if I was to visit St Martin again. The kitchenette is well stocked and the room - we have a single loft - is spacious. The morning and evening view is to live for. Rather than repeat the accolades of this establishment, all of which are well deserved, let me point out some things for you to consider. A key for foodies is the lovely walk to Grand Case for its array of restaurants, many of which serve fine French cruisine. The downside is that the town itself is very working class and a fine establishment can easily be next to one in disrepair - it is not the prettiest town you will visit. One can also walk to the Grand Case beach, and if you do so, I recommend turning right at the end of the path to go to the far end of the Beach at the Grand Case hotel, but with any beach (other than that of its sister hotel), be prepared to pay for beach chairs at around $10 each for the day. We found the winds to be too strong for laying on a towel to be enjoyable. We found the Grand Case beach lacking and small, others may find that appealing. The hotal is across from a small airport and you will hear the sound of the propellor planes - they don't arrive before 8am and typically end by 6pm - i found it enjoyable to watch them and since we were out of the room all-day, everyday, this was never a bother. The pool area is very nice and quaint and we had a good lunch there with very fairly priced drinks, but it is sad that it lacks a view of the Caribean and Anguilla. If you are fine just lounging and reading, it's a fine place for you. We found ourselves driving to the north side of Orient Beach and staying at the Palm Beach resort - if you buy lunch the chairs are "free", otherwise they were 11EU on the weekend and 5Eu on a weekday - but that may have been since we went there everyday and got to know our waiter. The food was quite good and the drinks (7EU) not outrageous. It is an easy 5 minute drive from the hotel and the late afternoons here are great for sitting on the porch and watching the day end. The Supermarket - a French and very European one, is an easy ride down the street. Traffic is heavy and due to that, people tend to pull out into the street more aggressively than usual. Marigot is a quick drive and an easy port for daytrips to St Barths and Anguilla. Watch traffic on Tues nights for the rest of February as they have a festival in Grand Case and we were bumper to bumper almost all the way from Marigot.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stepsite
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Snguggled on a hill, a close walk from Grand Case's 50 or so beachfront restaurants, this small spot has big madern and immaculate rooms with views to match. The French owners are pleasant and want to please.
Private security makes you feel safe at nights,something that at times is lacking elsewhere on St Martin.
Going back next year.

1 Thank venamo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Ok.. So this was my second visit to this hotel and again I had an absolutely amazing time. This review may be a little more than you are looking for... but you need to read it to get the full effect. This was a little 4 night, last minute, getaway to recharge my batteries. To start, my oversized loft was immaculate, and the music playing upon my arrival made my bones melt, (along with the loaf of French bread). You could literally eat off the floors, counters etc...it was so clean in there. My upstairs bedroom/loft had a balcony with two chairs overlooking the water, GORGEOUS! And the newly renovated bathroom was very modern, clean, and sleek. The grounds are immaculate as well. The staff was very friendly, had no problems there...or anywhere!
On Tuesday nights (or any day or night) you can walk down the "footpath" which is beautifully lit and there are so many trees with tropical flowers along the way, and head into Grand Case where the streets are closed off for the festival which is filled with vendors. Food/clothing/accessories etc... There is a parade and live music playing, if anything its nice to soak in a little of the local flavor. There is also a fantastic sandy beach to go to in this area, one of my favorite things to do is walk down to the beach and sit out in front of Calmos Cafe and have a Pina Colada and some lunch and soak up the rays! (lots of pretty seaglass there too).
Like I said I was there for a retreat, and that is exactly what I did. I had a MASSAGE by Tricia in my room that was to die for. I did this on my last day there and wished I had done it on my first and everyday I was there. Tricia gave an extremely professional massage. She is very knowledgeable in a spiritual healing way. I truly felt 100% better after my session with her.
As for the owners... Well... Words cannot describe how extremely wonderful, kind, genuine, warm, and generous Kristin and Marc are. These two know how to make a guest feel at home! I am anxiously awaitng my next trip there. It will have to be longer for sure!

Room Tip: I have been in room 14 and room 12 and they were both perfect!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Tiffanyma1
doylestown, pa
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My wife and I have been coming to St. Martin for the last 20 years and have been staying at either L'Esplanade or their sister hotel Le Petit for the last 15 years. During that time we have got to know the owners, Kristin and Marc, and their staff very well. It is the main reason we return every year and will be doing so again this July at L'Esplanade. And it is easy to tell by the vast majority of the reviews here that our feelings are shared by many. That is why I was very surprised by the recent negative reviews and the degree of the negativity of those reviews. I really thought that I was reading a review of some out of the way hotel on Interstate 95 in the States. L'Esplanade is not perfect and Kristin will be the first one to tell you that but they are far and away one of the best run and accomodating hotels you will ever stay at. Anyone who spends 5 minutes with Kristin will see that she is obsessive about making sure you enjoy your stay and will do anything possible to achieve that end. But it cannot be everything to everybody. There is so much information available on the Internet today that you can research a hotel and its location and know exactly what it offers and what it doesn't before you book your stay. Any savy traveler today does that and Trip Advisor is one of the most reliable tools. It is readily documented that they do not have a restaurant on site. They are a five minute walk from some of the best dining you will find in the Caribbean. They would be crazy to try and run a restaurant at the hotel. Each unit has basically a kitchen which allows you to go to the grocery store, get and store provisions for breakfast and lunch or even dinner if you choose. Enjoy breakfast on your patio then get on with your day. But if you want a full breakfast you can walk into Grand Case or take your car and venture out. If you don't want those options they offer a limited breakfast that will be brought to your room. The flexibility of having the kitchen is what most travelers enjoy and is a big plus for the hotel. They do not have a gym or exercise room. If that is something someone needs then that should have been researched and they then can book at a hotel that does. It is not nor has it ever been advertisied as a "business" hotel. The majority of the reviews you read here advise any first time visitors to rent a car. St. Martin is a small island easy to get around(except for traffic). If you don't want to rent for your entire stay you can rent on a daily basis through the hotel. You normally can tell each day, the parking lot empties by mid morning as people go exploring or to other beaches and then fills up later in the afternoon. Nobody is stuck at the hotel or Grand Case unless you want to be. Normally the service is excellent but there are those occasions where maybe you don't get the answer you want or the person isn't as friendly as you would like. Its unfortunate, it happens, but not often. Before you write the place off get hold of Kristin and explain the problem and she will handle it if at all possible. One of the main things people rave about in their reviews is the service and friendliness of the staff. They can't all be wrong. The hotel is not on the beach nor does it advertise as such. Their sister hotel Le Petit is on the beach. The island is not a slum nor should any part of it be labeled as such. Unfortunately, there is poverty in the islands, some more so than others. St. Martin is no different but not nearly as bad as some others. But if you would take the time to talk to the locals and see the warmth and friendliness that is there then maybe you come away with a different impression. Friendliness cuts both ways. Mosquitoes...unfortunately they're part of the life in the islands. The hotel is not growing them...bring your sprays and lotions. Some days are good, some bad. Noise, Kristin addressed this in one of her responses. We have stayed in some very nice hotels and there is alway noise in the morning. People leaving, doors slamming, people walking above you. Hard to eliminate it completely but they will try believe me. Alain...hard to believe anybody had something negative to say about him. He's the bartender and cook at the pool in high season. you've got to go see him...he's a blast.
I know for the majority of the people reading this I'm preaching to the choir. Many have the same strong feelings for Kristin, Marc and their staff as we do. It is a family owned and run business. They work their tails off, especially in high season. They are wonderful people. Kristin was born to be in the hospitality business. There is always going to be criticism or complaints, that is expected in this business. But as I mentioned earlier, the degree and breadth of the negative comments made is what concerned me and I felt needed to be addressed. It was done with the hope that someone that is looking at going to L'Esplanade for the first time would not be turned off by them and have some counterbalance. A lot of people write a lot of nice reviews here, they all can't wrong. I hope this review is helpful in some small way.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel

Been to Hotel L'Esplanade? Share your experiences!