“Food was good, but nothing special ”
Review of Bistrot Caraibes

Bistrot Caraibes
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistrot Caraibes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Grand Case
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We ordered 3lb lobster & 1 soup to share. We drank water (6.50 for the bottle of water) and our total with tip was over $120. Yes, the food was good, but nothing that stood out from other places on the island. Pricey for no reason really.

3  Thank michael14nicole
Write a ReviewReviews (2,874)

Reviewed July 15, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed an excellent meal here and the service was first class, which we thought at first was perhaps influenced a little by the apartment we were staying in having the same owners but we noticed as the evening went on that everyone seemed to receive the same enthusiastic welcome! It was pricey (to an Englishman) but worth it for a special meal.

1  Thank Graham D
Reviewed July 13, 2014

My wife and I had Eggplant Bavarios & the sautéed snails for appetizers. For the mains we shared their smallest lobster and the fisherman's platter. We were too stuffed for desert - the lobsters in the Caribbean are large (our lobster was a bit over 3 lbs).

The appetizers were very good but the mains were average. The lobster and the fish in the fisherman's platter were overcooked to the point of being rubbery. That was a real let down considering everything else was pretty top notched.

We were there on a Sunday evening for our anniversary and the place was pretty dead - we were there fairly early and it likely got busier as the night progressed. The main street in Grand Case - where they are located - is small, busy and a one way. A person in a beat up motorcycle went by repeatedly and endlessly and as loudly as possible. Between the non-functioning muffler and the smell of non-combusted petrol this pretty much ruined the relaxed open air ambience for us at this restaurant. Not their fault in any way - but since they are an open air and street facing establishment realize you are at the mercy of the street and its inhabitants.

3  Thank RandomString
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We had a great meal once again! My lobster thermidor was wonderful. Great service as well! A great French meal in St Martin!!!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

After reading many positive reviews, we decided to have dinner at Bistro Caraibes. We arrived without a reservation around 8:00 pm on a Sunday night and had no problem getting a table. The hostess/server was more than happy to seat us in a cozy table in a nook.

I browsed the wine list and ended up selecting a bottle of 2012 Gevery-Chambertin Burgundy. I thought it was expensive at $74 Euro. We did enjoy it, and it paired well with the escargot appetizer and sea bass I ordered, but again, I thought it was overpriced. Pleasant fruit, but it lacked structure and finish. I would prefer that they provide more affordable wine options on the list.

Despite our issues with the wine, we did enjoy the food immensely. We ordered all of our items off the specials list. I opted to try the escargot and mushrooms as my starter. It was served with a fantastic creamy sauced that complimented the texture and flavor of both the snails and mushrooms. For my entree I ordered the sea bass, which was grilled with skin on. They had both a full, and boneless version, which was nice for people who don't like dealing with the bones. I thought was cooked perfectly and accompanied with some wonderful veggies and a creamy brown sauce.

The decor is very cozy and reminds me of a standard small French cafe. It does seem a bit more formal than most St Maarten restaurants, and unfortunately the clientele here does not follow that suggestion. There was a family seated next to us where the son wore a tank top, shorts, and flip flops to dinner. In fact the entire family was dressed very shabbily. The best part was as they were leaving one of the patrons seated next to them said "I hope they deliver your luggage soon!" That gave me a good laugh.

At the end of our meal they gave us a digestive, which was their ginger rum. It was delicious! I wanted to buy a bottle, but I didn't see it available for purchase. That said, I really enjoyed the shot and would not hesitate to order one on our next visit.

Overall, I thought the meal was excellent. It is expensive, especially considering the dollar to euro exchange rate. In fact, that just exacerbates the pricing issues with the wine. Besides, that we enjoyed our dinner and would recommend Bistrot Caraibes to others visiting Grand Case.

2  Thank volkswankin