“One of our favorites.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bistrot Caraibes

Bistrot Caraibes
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistrot Caraibes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 67 Restaurants in Grand Case
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brighton, Michigan
“One of our favorites.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

My wife & I have been in the food business for 38 years & have traveled extensively, always seeking great food. No trip to St. Martin & Grand Case (home to many fine restaurants) would be complete without a trip to Thibault & Amaury Meziere's fine restaurant Bistrot Caraibes. We have dined there many times & have always had amazing food (the house specialty veal scallopini is a favorite). These two guys have a hand in every facet of the operation & it really shows. We also had fabulous meals at their other two restaurants in Grand Case: Ocean 82 & L'Auberge Gourmande. I would recommend all three of these restaurants very highly - I only wish we had something of this caliber in Michigan. Sadly we don't.

• Visited January 2014

jamaicanlovers
“Shells in our mussels and tasteless pasta”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Sadly, Bistrot Caraibes was disappointing. We started with mussels, which had many broken shells and beards and a boring sauce. My husband's pasta was very bland and tasteless and my salad had far too many bitter greens for my liking. We appreciated the wine, which our server helped us choose. And we appreciated not being charged for the tasteless pasta, but upon telling the server about the dish there was no apology. Rather disappointing.

33 Thank jamaicanlovers
New York, USA
“Really Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

We tried many of the recommended well rated restaurants on the island and this was one of the best, although dishes were not consistent. The Lobster Thermidor was expensive but was by far the best entre - was actually worth the 60E we paid for it and I dont often say that. It was amazing - rich in falvor but not too rich, and a good amount of meat (although you get to choose the lobster size yourself so you have control and it's charged by weight). Other dishes were good too but not excellent. I like the modern ambiance here and my toddler enjoyed the live lobsters and got to pick one out and touch it. Flavors were very french with some fusion influences.

Of the places we tried, L'Auberge Gourmande was the best, hands down. Every dish was delicious - I can say that b/c the 6 of us always try each other's dishes and/or do family style. One dish was better than the next. Even my toddler's salmon kids meal with rice was yummie. The French Onion soup was the best I have ever had and is a must. Ambiance was unpretentious old-world and service was very attentive but not overbearing. Flavors were very french with some fusion influences.

About us; We are from NYC and are food aficionados (read: we eat lots of delicious food and very often!). I am pretty demanding and dont rate restaurants as excellent very often and this place truly deserves the honor.

Other places we tried and quick comparison:

Le Pimiento - solid pizzas and some of the specials (which they have a long list of) are excellent; get the seafood risotto and foi gras app. The rib-eye steak was far superior to the flank. Pork stew was not special at all.

Le Petit Bistro - bad; dont waste your time.

Tropicana - we heard so many glowing reviews of this place and it didn't impress. Was inferior to L'Auberge Gourmande in every way. My pasta with shrimp dish was surprisingly one of the better dishes on the table and it shouldn't have been. Everything needed salt and more flavor.

La Villa (Grand Case) - this is one of the best rated restaurants on the island and for the life of me I can't figure out why it has that reputation. We had a really bad experience there (maybe it was an off night but I doubt it) - food ranged from not special to really bad; service was poor and inattentive, place is bigger than others and doesn't feel as nice and intimate. I got a lobster dish that was terrible and overpriced for the tiny amount of lobster it came with. Lobster bisque was watery and flavorless. Other dishes were just ok but nothing to brag about. I would skip.

2 Thank swinggal55
Delray Beach, Florida
“A first and not a last”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

In the 13 consecutive years we have been at Grand Case, we have never been to this staple restaurant. After being able to snag a table on what was a very busy Monday night, we cannot believe we never ate here before. Thibeau and staff were outstanding and the food was even better. Some of the most tasteful food we had during our stay, we are certain to be back next year and will make our reservation prior to arriving. Very in demand restaurant and now we know why. All around excellent.

New York City, New York
“Great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband and I had a great dinner at Bistrot Caraibes. The serving sizes were generous and the food was cooked to perfection. Service was attentive. Though the restaurant is on the pricey side, it is still one of the best meals we had in St Maarten.

• Visited January 2014