“Fine Dining At Its Best”
Review of Bistrot Caraibes

Bistrot Caraibes
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistrot Caraibes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Grand Case
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fine Dining At Its Best”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The little village of Grand Case on the French side of St Martin is the home to more than a half dozen fine restaurants. We have tried three or four and they have all been great but Bistrot Caraibe is even better. Ambience galore - a small romantic place with doors open to the main street of quaint Grand Case. We sat in the front near the lobster pool and on impulse I ordered the $29 per pound lobster thermidor. Since the pool is also open to the sidewalk, I walked outside with the wonderfully friendly waiter to pick my crustacean. He donned gloves and picked up the lobster and weighed him on a suspended scale, all to the interest of the passersby. I asked for a small one because I am cheap however the "small" one weighed in at 2 pounds. Oh darn, I thought, I will now be forced to enjoy two pounds of lobster thermidor from the best French restaurant in Grand Case. My frugal wife ordered the fisherman's platter in lobster sauce at $28. While we waited, we watched the entertaining parade of people outside. We later learned that these folks were there for the weekly street festival held every tuesday night in the winter. We both had the french onion soup and it was good although maybe a tiny bit salty. The lobster thermidor was so good it almost made me giggle with pleasure. My wife said the fisherman's platter was the best she has ever had. The service was nearly perfect. We skipped desert so we could sample the sweets at the street festival but that was probably a mistake because the deserts at Bistrot Caraibes looked very good and I bet they were delicious. We can't claim to be big time foodies but Bistrot Caraibes is on the short list of the best restaurants we have ever experienced. Reservations are a must and if you choose to go during a street festival night, plan to be in Grand Case before 4 PM or you will have difficulty parking.

• Visited January 2013

Dallas, Texas
“Amazing food, wouldn't be a trip to St. Martin without eating here!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We've been here three times now, it's that good. We will always make it a point to eat at Bistrot Caraibes on our St. Martin trips. We've never been disappointed. The escargot special in cream sauce made us like escargot. The wife had lobster thermador. It was phenomenal, and I don't think we could like it anywhere else. You get to pick it out of the lobster tank, which is a fun picture to take. I had the sea bass, and was blown away. The owners and staff are very friendly and a pleasure to talk to. We've always felt welcome and treated like we were a famous person. Loved every minute we're there. Can't wait to go back next year!

Pittsburgh
“Great food and outstanding service!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Wow! Everthing here is top notch. I went for it and had the lobster. Expensive, but worth every dime (€). The garlic, butter sauce with it was fabulous. My wife's linguini with shrimp in abutter and garlic sauce was perfection. The waitstaff, from the owners to the busboy, were so wonderful and responsive. Only downside is noisy street traffic right outside.
This is a place not to miss.

Glenview
“Vacation Highlight!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I were on the island for 2 weeks and our dining experience at this restaurant was, by far, the highlight of our vacation. The owners, the servers, the food, the wine selection, the location...absolute perfection! We will return to St. Maarten for the pleasure of eating at this restaurant alone. It is, hands down, the best on the island!

West Bloomfield, Michigan
“Bistrot Caraibes Continues to Shine”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Great food, great service led by Amaury and Thibeault. The sea bass special is always great. Their lobster pot is a big attraction, especially for families.

Visited February 2013