“beautiful view, great food”
Review of La California Restaurant - CLOSED

La California Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“beautiful view, great food”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My friends and I stumbled onto this restaurant when some fellow Americans and our group started talking. They had just eaten here and recommened it. Our food was great (best in St. Martin), view was beautiful, and owner was very friendly.

• Visited July 2012

Herndon, Virginia
“A great intro to dining in St. Martin - loved the service, too”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We ate here the first night of our stay in St. Martin - and I am truly glad we chose La California. Not only did we pay $1=1 Euro when paying in cash, we had a great table overlooking the beautiful water, and our server was charming and friendly. He spoke French with me and English with my boyfriend.

The menu was extensive and had not only French specialties but also a full selection of seafood with Caribbean flair. We felt the portions were perfect and the prices were fair and less than in many of the other Grand Case restaurants.

We didn't need a reservation (off season dining), but they do accept them.

• Visited July 2012
Baltimore
“A nice evening”
Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

Offered 1euro to 1dollar on cash payments. Food was delicious, in fact my husband went on about how it was the best meal he'd ever had. My only compaint is that my Lobster bisque came out litterally boiling. I simply enjoyed more wine while it cooled down. Our waiter was friendly and joked with us. The views over the water were fantastic. Oh, and the chocolate, banana, coconut crepe....to die for.

“Terrible... Just terrible.”
Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

Truly one of the worst finding experiences of my life. A group of friends and I had dinner at La California recently while on vacation from the US and it was without a doubt the lowest point of our stay. Which the view was ideal and the decor was lovely the waitsaff was obscene and e food was mediocre at best. Our experience started its nose dive when the waiter told one of the girls in our group "Madame, you really need to get your thoughts together before you place an order because right now you are making no sense at all." Really? Did you really just say that? The girl simplely couldnt decide between two appetizers and had specific food allergies and wanted to know what was in each dish.

There was eight of us in our group, and while this may be fairly large for some people we were by no means "difficult" we all (attempted) to order drinks appetizers, and a meal but none came out timely, or in order (one person never even got his meal) and there were dishes presented that no one ordered at all and multiple cocktails put in front of single people.

The boiling point was when I actually caught the waited bad mouthing our group to ANOTHER CUSTOMER! When I called him out on it he played dumb, saying he didn't understand English and he was confused. He was speaking plain English to the customer that was uncomfortably listing to his gripes about us... He e
Defended himself with "I've been working here for 25 years and I never get a complaint and your group is simply difficult."

25 years on a bilingual island and you don't speck enough English to take an order from 8 people? 25 years in the service industery and you think it's acceptable to insult your guests and blatently complain about them to another table?

Beware, this establishment employs the the most pompous, arrogant, pretentious staff members on the island... Steer clear...

2 Thank David A
London
“Great value, great service, great food”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We arrived at La California, the staff was friendly and very efficient. It was later on in the afternoon where most places were already closed on Grand Case. We had a table right on the balcony, a great spot as you are right on the beach. We had mussels and the prawn kebab. Prawn kebab come as they were presented on the website, would highly recommend it. After lunch, we had more drinks and deserts, staff did not try to rush us at all, allowing us to sit back, relax, enjoy the gorgeous beach. Excellent value as it was 1 EUR to 1 $.

• Visited April 2012