“We had the vacation of a lifetime”

Grand Case Beach Club
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Reviewed July 20, 2009

We just returned from a week's vacation at the Grand Case Beach Club and it was exceptional. If you are looking for a relaxing spot with great restaurants nearby, the GCBC is ideal. If you are looking for a trendy resort with a swim up bar and dancing till dawn, look elsewhere. We are content to sit on the beach, read, relax and swim. Our 3 teenage daughters were quite content. There were young couples, older couples, families with small children and families with teengagers. The service was excellent and the staff was accomodating. The rooms were clean, and spacious with flat screen TV's with all the American cable channels. We had a full kitchen which we used often.

The complex has a private beach which is very convenient. There is a Water Sport service which offers snorkling, sailing, water-skiing, kayaks and paddle boats. They can also arrange for excursions to other nearby islands. We took a 2 hr snorkling trip for which we had a guide that led us around the entire time. It was very enjoyable.

I thought the restaurant was rather expensive. We paid $80 the first day for a lunch of sandwiches and sodas. After that, we stocked up from the grocery store in Grand Case and ate in most often. We did have drinks and dessert at the resturant, which were excellent and worth every euro we paid. The town has many excellent restaurants, some of which give a 1 to 1 conversion from a euro to a dollar.

We did rent an SUV which allowed us to explore the island. Driving in St. Martin is not for the faint of heart. Most roads are paved but narrow, barely accomodating traffic in both directions. Cars park half on the sidewalk and half in the street. Motorcycles will pass on either side, hills and curves. People and animals randomly step into or stop on the street. It was quite an experiencer. Traffic really was not as bad as Fodor's warned.

Grand Case is a very quite town. Not much there but restaurants. We found Marigot and Phillipsburg to be rather quite after 6pm too. St. Martin/Sint Maarten is a beautiful and quiet island. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, the Grand Case Beach Club is an exellent choice. If you are looking for action, St Martin is not for you.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 19, 2009

We stayed at the Garnd Case Beach Cub through 4th of July weekend. This was our first time on the island and we were pleasantly surprised. The room was much better than expected and the hotel staff were very helpful and cheerful. Ruth at the front desk and Pearl who took care of our room both provided excellent service. We had even taken a taxi on a couple of occasions driven by Juliette...she was fun and very informative about the island. And....the beach was perfect! It was nice to relax during happy hour in a hammock or chair watching the sun go down over Anguilla before dinner.
We enjoyed being able to walk into town for BBQ and have a nice walk back. Although the food is generally expensive, we did enjoy our meals in Grand Case. If you are on a tight budget, we recommend going to the grocery store and cooking one or two nights in the room. Our room had a good kitchen and we dined on one of the balconies or our studio room.
Octopus diving just down the street before the restaurants in Grand Case is a great little dive shop with plenty of trips for both divers and snorkelers. Christian and Sally, the owners, were a delight. Getting to and from the boat was easy since it was docked across the street down a charming little ally that put you right into the beautiful turquoise water.
Overall, we had a wonderful and relaxing time at this perfectly located, beautiful and quiet resort.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zaikism1
Reviewed July 11, 2009

We Arrived in Grand Case Two Days after our actual Date..(nightmare At The Airport) We Checked in late and needless To Say We were very Hungry, Maureen at the Desk called to the Sunset Cafe, which is outstanding, if they could accomadate us.. we knew it was late they said Yes send them down..we were so grateful, Tony the security guard was so kind he had brought our Lugguage up to our room while we ate.. very nice gesture..When we had arrived in our room it was everyhting we had hoped for Beautiful view..very clean..very comfortable..we Did not feel very comfortable walking down to the restaurants at night time, the town was alot more run down then I had thought we ate at some wonderful restuarants the food was fabulous!! we chose to take taxi cabs where we went the driving looked like nightmare, from just sitting in the taxi..I was so disappointed in the Island itself, I understand the construction..but i quess i found the island in general on both sides to be filty.. everywhere we looked the rubbish was all over the place, if we had stayed at our Resort, that would of been fine, but we like to venture out..The Beaches were beautiful, I understand difficult times.. but trash is not acceptable..I personally would not return to this Island.. But I loved our Resort..

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DarleneNewHampshire
Reviewed July 9, 2009

I stayed there for a week with three other friends and thought it was absolutely gorgeous. The room or apartment rather that we had was very spacious. It included 2 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, a full kitchen, a living room with a sliding door facing the water. It's a short walk to town where you can find a supermarket or two, lots of places to eat, and a few bars. I'm not a party girl by any means, but found this place to be just okay in the entertainment department. There were live bands at the bars and that was a lot of fun. You also meet locals who are very friendly. I heard the Dutch side has more going on, so if you're looking to party, I'd check out the other side of the island.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2009

After just returning from my week vacation at the Grand Case, I have to say I had a wonderful time. I still find myself thinking about the staff at this resort as they were so kind and attentive. I found the staff to be attentive and wonderful on all levels from the cleaning professionals to the waiters to groundskeepers to the front desk. Everyone and I do mean everyone was kind and attentive to my needs. I typically stay in larger resorts so when I first arrived at Grand Case I was a bit hesitant, but immediately the hotel staff made me feel welcomed and all doubts went away. I wish I could remeber the names of all the wonderful staff to give them the kudos they deserve. However, I do remember Ruth and Roselyn who work the front desk...they were wonderful. Dawn, the waitress at the restaurant, Sunset Cafe who was gracious and helpful. Alan and Sebastian who really help me and my family map out my tours. The two wonderful women who worked the car rental were also great and help put me at ease in driving in a country new to me. If you are looking for kind atttentive staff who will sincerely try to meet all of your needs, then Grand Case is the resort for you.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank vcw72
Reviewed July 7, 2009

PROS
fast and easy check in
beautiful flowers
we stayed june 24-leaving tomorrow july 8th
maid service was great they even washed our dishes
friendly people all
security walked around 24 hrs so felt safe
10 min walk to the restaurants
staff even told us to go to dutch side to supermarket for better prices
manager steve was always acessible and lived on the resort
the welcome manager party was enough to be called a meal
on july 4th they had a american buffett 20.00 pp ribs chicken and all the fixens
lots of people we talked to on the beach were people who have been here before and were planning on coming back
a/c was great
rooms clean

cons

wish there was wifi in the room but it was available right outside our room 108 on balcony and that was a great place to hang out so was still ok.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank doctorbruce_maryland
Reviewed July 2, 2009

The resort is beautiful, the rooms more than comfortable, and our entire extended family, including toddlers and teenagers had a great time. This is a self-contained resort with beaches, gardens, pool and restaurant/cafe and very carefully patrolled by security. After carelessly leaving a room empty and open and losing a wallet the attention and care was remarkable from the staff. Following an investigation and location of my wallet (I was home already) which was small and in the room safe, I was contacted immediately by staff. At least two Club staff employees handled the missing wallet on the way to its return with all the cash inside accounted for. Wonderful people and very special care.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Grand Case Beach Club? Share your experiences!