“Not Really the Best Mid-Sized Hotel in the Carribean” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Case Beach Club

Grand Case Beach Club
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Grand Case
Colorado
“Not Really the Best Mid-Sized Hotel in the Carribean”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2005

I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade, but when something is voted the "Best" its not too much to expect something special - and the Grand Case Beach Club does not qualify. When your vacation costs between $500 and $600 per night ( and the coupon rate for our room was over 300 euros ), then things should work - not enough hot water to wash your hair - almost but not quite, the TV acted like it was constantly being goosed - power surge every 15 seconds or so ( not that you come to the Carribean to watch TV - but still ), A bed thats comfortable and the sheets that fit ( now this is important ) and a lock that works without calling maintenance. Altogether Average - so in my mind the cost/value relationship is out of balance. In my opinion anyone who rates the GCBC above average or excellent has set the hospitality bar too low. Nice setting, pleasant staff, cute little restaurant--- but average. And keep in mind that everythings in euros. Bon Chance.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank senorwiskers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Polish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2005

I stayed 6 nights at Grand Case Beach Club April 14-20, 2005, with a friend and my 9 year old daughter. I am a travel agent and take 4-5 trips a year and have been to many Caribbean islands. This was my first time to St. Martin. I had booked a family to this resort last summer and they really liked it so much that I have booked them back to the Grand Case Beach Club June 2005...so I decided to go! I am so used to staying at the huge "Mega" resorts, so when we arrived at the Grand Case Beach Club, it was a nice surprise. It was nice to be so close to everything...the Sunset Cafe, the beach, the taxi pickup, etc. And I really liked the fact that you can walk to town from the resort and it is a safe walk. I highly recommend renting a car, driving is on the right. There is Prestige Car Rental right on property so you can get a car right at the hotel. I didn't rent a car since I had booked 2 all day Catamaran trips and a day trip to St Barts, so we only had two days at the resort. St Martin/St Maarten is such a beautiful island and there is so much to explore and see....just wished I had more time!

Our room was cool (A/C) and clean. We had a one bedroom townhouse with a downstairs patio and two balconies upstairs. There were two full bathrooms..one upstairs with a shower and one downstairs with a bathtub. There was also a full kitchen as well as a stereo/CD player along with a CD of island music. The maid service was very good...the room was cleaned well each day.

Petite Plage beach at the Grand Case Hotel is very nice and the water is very turquoise and clear...sand is soft. The guys at the watersports desk are very friendly and helpful. There are mats for floating available free of charge. Each set of chairs and umbrella have a flag on a pole to be raised whenever you need a drink, lunch, etc. There are complimentary peddle boats, kayaks and a sailboat for your use. For vacationers who need to do laundry, there is one washer and one dryer on the property and you can purchase a special coin at the hotel office for the machines. I have read a review that says there is not a pool at the Grand Case Beach Club and that statement is false. There is a very small pool located above the Sunset Cafe Restaurant and I had to ask how to find it. There wasn't anyone at the pool when I went.....if you're looking for a quiet place.

There is only one restaurant on site, the Sunset Cafe. It's very good and there are alot of great restaurants in Grand Case which is within walking distance from the hotel. We had dinner at Calmo's and your table is directly on the beach in the sand. We also had dinner at one of the local, open areas, where your food is prepared on the open grills in front of you. We had met a couple who recommended "Talk of the Town" to us and it was excellent. We chose a fresh grilled lobster and it was worth the $$ spent.

We took a day trip on the Scoobidoo Catamaran to Prickly Pear, a deserted island off the coast of Anguilla. Prickly Pear had the most beautiful beach and water that I have seen yet...and I have traveled to Turks & Caicos, Antigua, Barbados, St Thomas, Jamaica and Maui and they don't compare! I highly recommend the Scoobidoo Catamaran trips! The captain and crew were wonderful. The Scoobidoo Catamaran picks you up right at the beach at Grand Case Beach Club. It's an all day trip (9am-5pm) and well worth the $$. There is an open bar the entire day on the Catamaran and the BBQ lunch at Prickly Pear was very good. Once at Prickly Pear, there is a charge to rent 2 chairs and umbrella for $10 USD. You can spend your time on the beach or snorkeling. We swam back to the Catamaran early so my daughter could jump off the boat and go down the slide. There is also a ladder that lowers into the water for easy access. On the sail back to the Grand Case Beach Club, banana bread and coffee are served for dessert and the bar is open. We also took another all day trip on the Scoobidoo to the island of Anguilla, first stopping at the island of Tintamarre for an "island mudbath"!! The water and beach at Anguilla are gorgeous as well. The lunch with the Scoobidoo was a BBQ buffet.....another highly recommended trip! The day trip to St Barts was on the Voyager. It's a high speed ferry that took about an hour and 20 minutes. I had prebooked our ferry as well as the taxi island tour and lunch. St Barts is absolutely beautiful.

This was an awesome vacation and I definitely recommend the Grand Case Beach Club. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me an email!

24 Thank Terri_travel
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2005

My fiance and I stayed here for a week, and we couldn't have asked for more. The Beach Club is relaxing and quet, but with a full slate of activities and a restaurant/bar (Sunset Cafe). All non-motorized water activities are included, and the activity desk has a packed schedule of trips and adventures you can undertake if you choose. We went on an afternoon trip snorkeling, which I highly recommend.

The rooms were nothing special, but don't interpret that is not good. They were more than adequate with nice balconies to enjoy the sunset. The ocean front rooms provide a great panoramic view of Grand Case. The kitchennette was great as we made lunch almost every day, and had a fridge to store snacks and drinks.

There is no pool, which I didn't care about, but the beach is rather isolated, which is nice. Each set of lounge chairs gets a little flag post in the sand, and when you need something (equipment, food, drinks), you raise the flag and someone will come over. Very nice indeed. BTW, they also have a tennis court, which is lit at night, if you are interested.

Grand Case is a great, but small, area of the island with fabulous restaurants. We ate at about 5-6 restaurants and all were fantastic. You cannot go wrong. All are in walking distance as well. We rented a car, which I recommend, so that you can travel the island. We went to Marigot which has great shopping, and took a day trip to Anguilla, a short ferry ride away, for an experience on the serene white sand beaches.

We did go to the Dutch side to the casinos and to do some shopping, but I didn't like it too much except for cheap liquor to purchase. It had none of the quaintness of the French side, and felt more like Cancun to me. If that's your preference, that's the ideal place to stay, but if you want peace, quiet, and relaxation, the French side is tons better.

Overall, I highly recommend the Grand Case Beach Club. Excellent and attentive staff, great accomodations and activities, and an all-around fabulous trip.

• Stayed August 2003
15 Thank dcmove
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2005

My husband and I spent a week in Grand Case (April 2 - 9) and absolutely loved it. We travel quite a bit and have to say that this has been our favorite island yet. The town of Grand Case is very quaint - samll and quiet. Everything is within walking distance of the hotel, either by beach or by road. We ate at as many different restaurants as we could in the short time we were there and every meal was incredibly delicious. Although my favorite dinner was at the Sunset Cafe which is located on the grounds of the Grand Case Beach Club hotel. The hotel has a full kitchenette in each room so you can buy groceries in town and have them as snacks during the day. We particularly liked shopping at The Bounty which is a Fine French Food Boutique shop at the far end of town. It also has a good selection of wines. We also enjoyed Marigot which is much more lively than Grand Case. We went to the Dutch side once but did not like it and would not go back. It just didn't have that same Euro/Caribbean flare as the French side.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2005

Just returned from a weeks' stay at the Grand Case Beach Club in St. Martin on the French side. We choose to stay here as opposed to the more "active" Dutch side for some quiet relaxation, and we were very pleased with our choice. The grounds are wonderfully maintained, bursting with gorgeous tropical flora and fauna, cascading down walls and over trellises, just beautiful! The rooms are nice, each equipped with a small kitchenette, which I find to be a MUST the more I travel. The complex hosts the Sunset Cafe which serves delicious meals and overlooks the turquoise waters, Creole Rock and Anqulla. Order the Jamaican scampi! A drawback was the long drive into the Dutch side thanks to the heavy traffic and an annoying drawbridge which we were unlucky to catch twice...a thirty minute wait, so be sure to check the bridge schedule that's posted as you cross. As for the resort....there is only one conventional american outlet for appliances that the TV is plugged into...the rest are European, so forget about bringing curling irons, clock radios...etc....unless you plan on unplugging the TV each time, which we did. The resort supplies an iron, blow dryer, coffee maker...etc...everything you need for a great stay!

19 Thank MsPrada
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2005

My wife and I, with our 15 yr. old son, just returned for the Grand Case in St. Martin. We have a full and very enjoyable week there. The food, as advertised, in St. Martin was incredible . . . pricey, but great! Even the resident Sunset Cafe served outstanding food . . . their complimentary Continental Breakfast was very good and convenient.

Beaches at the Grand Case Beach Club were beautiful . . . at one end of Grand Base beach and away from the crowds. If you enjoy a lot of company, it's an easy stroll to town, other beaches, grocery stores, etc. All in all, a very relaxing place and a perfect choice for our first trip to St. Martin. Note: Bring a lot of US Dollars . . . cash transactions are still $1USD = 1 Euro, in most cases.

Best Meal all week = L' Hibiscus a very short walk from the Grand Case Beach Club.

• Stayed March 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bristow, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2005

My wife and I stayed at Grand Case Beach Club last week and we had a wonderful and relaxing time. We stayed in a studio with a loft, which was nice because you were on the third floor with a great view of Grand Case. As other posts have stated, the rooms are not "5 star", but they are very comfortable and had a great view. My biggest complaint was the water temperature in the shower was fairly erratic. There is a kitchen with a coffee maker, but they do not supply the coffee or filters, so if you are dependent on your coffee as I am you may want to bring it with you. There are several small markets in Grand Case where you can get some groceries if needed.

The staff was very freindly and helpful. The grounds are well maintained and the beach was very nice. There is construction going on next door, but it was not noisy or bothersome. The beach area used by GCBC on the north side near the construction extended out in front of construction but there was a fence and trees to block the view of the construction. I am not sure what they are building next door, but if after it is completed it restricts the access to just the smaller area in front of GCBC then that may be an issue.

We did not rent a car except for one day from the onsite rental agency. There was a nice beach and plenty of water sports activities onsite and many restaurants in close walking distance, so we did not regret the decision not to have a car at our disposal all week.

The dining in Grand Case is fantastic, but for the money my favorite restaurant was Sunset Cafe which is onsite. The Sunset Cafe is not fancy, but the food was excellent and the view was wonderful.

If you are looking for a big resort with alot of nightlife, then Grand Case is not for you. But if you are looking for a place to relax, then I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2005
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,177 reviews
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino

Been to Grand Case Beach Club? Share your experiences!