“I wasn't blown away”

Ranked #13 of 68 Restaurants in Grand Case
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Sol restaurant invites you to a unique dining experience in an elegant, intimate and romantic place in the Caribbean. Within this Creole house tastefully decorated and surrounded by a tropical garden, you will discover a delicate and refined cuisine. Chefs offer you imaginative and innovative dishes in respect of the French culinary tradition together with a selection of preferred wines
Reviewed February 8, 2011

But it was good food. If you are looking for nice restaurant that is expensive. This is a good place to go. I thought the food and service were good. It's not on the water or anything, it's a bit of the beaten path. However, if it is your only expensive night out I would highly recommend the restaurant at La Samanna instead. We were blown away by the food, service and atmosphere.

Reviewed February 6, 2011

Our group of 4 (Americans) enjoyed a great meal on the porch. Two of us had a beef filet-best I've had in the Caribbean. One had tuna and the other a shrimp/scallop dish and both were happy. We did not experience any of the service issues that others mentioned. We took our time in ordering and then eating, so we were there more than 3 hours by our choice. We got our drinks quickly and we kept sending the server away initially since we wanted to chat awhile before ordering. We thougt the service was right on and since the food was so good, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Definitely recommend their Mojito too! The porch was a lovely setting but there's really not much of a view in the dark.

Reviewed January 18, 2011

Yes the setting is beautiful and the food is good. However, if you are an American, do not go if you don't want to be treated like a second class citizen. The service from the waitstaff and the attitude from the owner makes it clear that the French people who dine here are welcome however the American are not. My husband and I went there for a romantic dinner but noticed the different service that we were receiving compared to the French couple sitting near us. No amount of good food can make up for the poor service as a great dining experience is a combination of many factors. There are plenty of great French restaurants where you are made to feel welcome such as Spicy and many others in Grand Case that I would rather spend money at. We will NEVER go back to Sol e Luna.

5  Thank nycfoodlover123
Reviewed January 4, 2011

My friend and I had the unfortunate displeasure of dining at Sol e Luna in Nov. 2010. We were expecting something fantastic, after seeing some positive reviews of the place. Granted, it IS a beautiful setting, but all that glitters is not gold. We were seated on the front porch area, ordered cocktails, and waited. Our bread arrived...no cocktails. Our amuse bouche arrived...no cocktails. Our waiter finally returned to the table, and when we pointed out we had not yet received our cocktails, he shrugged and replied, "I was busy." Wow. I thought the reason for his "busy-ness" (and moreover, the restaurant's BUSINESS) was the clients seated at the table. O.K. I had ordered a glass of wine with dinner, but since the cocktails arrived so late, I wasn't convinced the wine would arrive as ordered. Guess what? No wine ever came, which was fine, since the cocktails arrived in tandem with our dinner. I don't even remember what I ate because by this time, both my friend and I were so fed up with the poor service, it didn't matter. I remember commenting that the food is good, but the service was so poor that the food was overshadowed. There are restaurants on the island, within the same price point, that serve quality food that surpasses that of Sol e Luna AND provide friendly, welcoming, and CARING service. (Ti Bouchon and Le Cottage both are superior choices.) Skip this one, folks.

5  Thank TheRays70
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Friends highly recommended this restaurant in the Mont Vernon section of St. Martin, and we made a point of dining here on our fourth trip to the island. We were not disappointed. It is situated in an old Victorian-style house in an out-of-the-way area. We were seated on the porch with a lovely evening view of nearby hills. Service was "unhurried", but we felt that we were being given special treatment in the attentiveness. Our meals were outstandingly prepared, original, and well-presented. But be forewarned that your total bill here (especially if you partake of their excellent wine list) will be substantial. It was worth it to us.