“Absolutely perfect!”
Review of L'Estaminet - CLOSED

L'Estaminet
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: L'ESTAMINET...A French ,innovative cuisine ,combining spices of the word and amazing flavors...And frienddly atmosphere.....
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Another amazing meal at L'Estaminet this week. I brought some friends who were visiting from Canada and they thought the food was fantastic. Everything we had, from the Asparagus soup to the Caesar salad was fabulous. For the mains, we had the Mushroom Risotto with Foie Gras, Shrimp Fetticcine and the Filet with Truffles. Just perfect. The dessert, Chocolate Indulgence was delicious. Carole, Ina and their staff do a wonderful job. Excellent food and service. Highly recommend!

Reviewed April 5, 2014

This is a fine restaurant, the food is a great mix of French and local cuisine. It is one of the best restaurants on St Martin. Wine list is good. Service was slow, they said the sous chef cut her finger. You usually need a reservation, so call ahead.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

As an American, I read some of the previous reviews, some good and some bad, and thought I would give L'Estaminet a try.
We arrived at 6 pm with no reservations, but the hostess, Carole, and the host ( whose name I sadly did not get), were friendly and accommodating.
Yes, it took time to get our appetizers, but you have to understand that this is not America, and meals typically are much more relaxed in the French manner than in the American "sitting under a heat lamp and ready to go" manner. I ordered the onion soup (fabulous), and my partner ordered the lobster bisque. Let me tell you, the bisque was amazing! It had lobster tartare with it, and coconut as well. Being from New England, well, let's just say that's not a traditional bisque, but with the textural difference, it was SO MUCH BETTER!
For our main course, I had steamed fish , cooked to perfection, Ina citron herbal "tea", for lack of a better term, with cinnamon carrots, rice, an Asian spiced cabbage, and mushrooms In a garlic butter sauce. Very good. My partner had a pork and duck special, with a foie gras sauce, along with the same vegetables I had. Again, very good.
For dessert, I had an apricot cake with a mint sorbet, refreshing. My partner had a dessert I had never even conceived of before.....called "The Cigar". It was so different, she HAD to try it. Bear in mind, neither of us smoke, at all, ever. This dessert was made to look like a cigar in an ashtray. Unappetizing? Not at all. It was a chocolate cylinder filled with Mascarpone, in a edible lacy cone, surrounded by what looked like cigar ash. The dessert had a slight cigar flavor, but was actually more of a sweet cannoli type of dessert. Would be a "must have" for an cigar smoker, but was an exotic treat to us non-smokers as well.
We felt we were treated on par with any other customer, and we did not speak French. Service was slow and relaxed. The waiters and host and hostess did a great job of explaining things, serving, etc.
If only I could give 4-1/2 stars, I would. I would have to have a totally mind-blowing experience to allocate 5 stars, and that I will save for a PERFECT experience. These folks get 5 stars for creativity tho. Probably the best meal in 10 days at SXM.

1  Thank Vipermoray
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was recommended to us because of the party each Tuesday night in Grand Case. It took forever for us to get our food and we had to ask for more water. By the time we got our food and ate it, the street party was over. It was also expensive and my food, which was one of the specials that night, was warm at best and my husband's food was hot.

Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Let me start with the good. These people cook very very very good food. Also, the woman who is the head of front of house is extremely nice and accommodating. The problem is the length of time it takes to get it. We waited approximately 35 minutes after ordering to get our appetizers and then another 45 minutes after the plates were cleared to get our entrees. As others have stated the asparagus soup is very nice, the bacon creme brûlée that comes with it is fantastic. The appetizer did exactly what it should, awaken your senses and get you revved up for the main event. The problem is you are left waiting so long you lose interest. When the entree finally came, scallops with foie, the food again was amazing but we just were over the entire experience and unfortunately I dont think it was just an off night since we had met others who have had the same experience.