“Best meal in St Marteen by Far”

Restaurant le Soleil
Ranked #10 of 68 Restaurants in Grand Case
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Nice terrasse with a carribean see view, possibility to have lunch also on the beach. Friendly family ambiance.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best meal in St Marteen by Far”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

After a week of food poisoning at one restaurant and at best mediocre food at others we had given up on finding the wonderful cuisine we had heard existed on this Island, and then we found this place. We arrived last Saturday night and the place was empty (Myriam said some people had reservations and did not show-up or call, how rude to them). The setting, as all the other reviewers have said, is wonderful and romantic only surpassed by the food.

My stomach was still tender from the food poisoning so I went gentle. I started with tomatoes with mozzarella and a lovely balsamic dressing and my Husband ordered a terrine of foie gras with dried fruits. The tomatoes were so tasteful, as was the cheese and the foie gras was unlike any we have had, and I mean that in the best possible way. Having had it in many restaurants in the US and abroad I thought I had had about all the preparations possible, I was pleasantly surprised.

For the main course I opted for rice...or better known as the best risotto with lobster and mushrooms I had ever had in my life. Each bite was a burst of flavors and nice size chucks of lobster and wonderfully cooked mushrooms. Also, the quantity was far more than I would have gotten at any other restaurant, by about double. I could not finish it all so my husband ate the rest. He had snapper simply grilled with simple spices. It was cooked to perfection, as were all the accompanying vegetables.

Dessert was sort of a Baked Alaska with a homemade cake base, then the ice cream and then the meringue. It had coconut so I did not partake but I am told it was incredible.

I highly recommend this place. There are over 40 restaurants in Gran Case and I challenge you to have a better meal than at le Soleil.

2 Thank JMSamuel

Marlboro, New Jersey
“Always wonderful!”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We love Le Soleil. Myriam and Stephane have a restaurant that is consistently excellent. We return every year. The Alsace puff pastry with munster cheese and salad (appetizer) is outstanding. We always order that! The entrees are also superb and all of the food is so fresh and perfectly prepared and plated. The restaurant is small, intimate and overlooks the water. We are already planning our next dining experience here.

1 Thank Lynn F
new mexico
“Great Food, Beautiful Setting”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Six of us had lunch at Le Soleil. It's location on the beach in Grand Case is beautiful with panoramic views of the bay. The young couple who own it, Myriam and Stephan, are from the Alsace do a splendid job. We enjoyed the Traditional Flammekuchen as a starter as no one but my wife and I had ever tried it. There are now four more converts. We followed with various fish entrees and all were treated beautifully, some traditionally and some with an island twist. The Alsatian Pinot Gris complemented the food wonderfully. The chocos in the party raved about their dessert and the christmas cookies at the end reminded us of the season. All in all a stop well worth your time.

1 Thank eremon
Lake
“We Return to le Soleil Every Time”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We always enjoy lunch and dinner at Le Soleil in Grand Case. Myriam and Stephane have been there for many years now and we are always happy to find the Alsatian Flammekuechen still on the menu. We have also enjoyed many other items on the menu and all have been wonderfully prepared, fresh and delicious. The view is lovely overlooking the bay. Congratulations on your new baby too! We hope to see you again.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank PFischer
Blainville, Canada
“Cassoulet to die for.”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The food was so good we returned twice on our 1 week vacation. It's a relatively small restaurant, with most tables on the exterior deck over the beach. The French chef from Alsace is a pastry chef who prepares the most delicious meals.

For appetizer, both times we had the seafood cassoulet which was incredible. The main courses were also excellent - one night I had Mahi Mahi in a pastry with vegetables - although I'm not a big fan of cooked vegetables I ate everything with enthusiasm, it was just that good.

As expected from a pastry chef, the deserts were incredible. The first time we shared a chocolate cake with warm chocolate on the inside. The second dinner we shared a profiterole desert. We had to resist from licking our plates. The service was very friendly and excellent. By far, our best meals of our week in Saint Martin - with no bad meals all week.

Despite being a small restaurant, you do not feel rush and indeed service is geared to one's pace of eating. On the nights we were there, there was only one waiter/maitre d'. The service is excellent and very friendly. He was fluent in French (naturally) and English.

If you only go to one restaurant in Grande Case, then it must be Le Soleil.

If parking is not immediately available in front of the restaurant, it's only a short 2-3 minute walk from the public parking lot.

The only negative is the opening hour of 6pm means that you cannot watch the sunset - in November it's dark before 6pm. But the beach is lit up and you do get to hear and sea the small waves hitting the shore.

• Visited November 2013