“Nice setting but food not good enough”
Review of Fish Pot - CLOSED

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We had dinner in Fish Pot because it is one of the restaurants in Grand-Case where the tables are set out on a platform above the beach with views out across the Caribbean Sea. The setting did not disappoint with the lights of Angulla twinkling out across the Caribbean.

However, with regret, we have to say that the food did not match the standard of the setting. There were elements of each dish which were really good, but these were compromised by other parts which were really not at the standard of a restaurant charging fine dining prices in Grand-Case. For example, we both had a starter of shrimps with tartare sauce from the special menu. The shrimps were fine and well cooked but they were in a doughy/mushy batter that would not be accepted in any decent fish and chip shop never mind in a fine dining restaurant.

The combination of flawed food and very strong competition from any number of great restaurants very close by makes Fish Pot one to avoid in our view-which is a shame given how good the setting is.

1  Thank je22

Reviewed June 8, 2011

mpacote
Traveler

Joined: 11/30/05
Posts: 12

First bad meal in Grand Case at Fish Pot
#1304537 - 06/05/11 08:35 PM (72.252.11.73)
Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply

We are in St Maarten for the Bartender of the Year competition and decided to head over to Grand Case for dinner. We'd hoped to go to Spicy but they were closed on Sunday night. We wandered down Grand Case blvd perusing menus. We stopped at Bistrot Caraibes where the charismatic gentleman outside offered us $1=1 euro for us early birds (it was 6:00) and the first drinks on him. Unfortunately, I am a picky eater (don't eat seafood and many other things). There was one thing on that menu but we decided to look at the Fish Pot across the street.

We were greeted by a very charismatic man at the front door where he talked up the menu. One of the specials was Sea Bass in red butter....YUM thought my husband. And, well, there was a lovely sounding duck in pink berry sauce. I asked what pink berries were. The man said "cherry tomatoes". Okay, I said, in we go.
We were the only ones in the restaurant. We ordered a lovely St Emilion which came promptly but while I ordered the wine the bottle was presented to my husband. Ah well, this happens a lot.
From there, the service went downhill. I ordered the duck with pink berries and asked for it cooked medium well. The waiter ARGUED with me and told me I should order it medium. Sorry, no. I like it medium well.
Next my husband tried to order the sea bass in red butter. Well, since it was Sunday night, it wasn't on the menu. My husband and I wondered why it was even written on the CHALKBOARD special board then. Instead, he ordered a sea bass filet.
Again, we were the only ones in the restaurant. It took forever for the warm rolls to be served to us. And our water glasses were never refilled on this warm night.

A long time later, the hostess showed up with my husband's food and presented it to him. Then she had to walk back to the kitchen to get my food. Sorry but this is really unacceptable when there are several people in the restaurant not doing anything else.
My duck arrived.....with pink peppercorns....not cherry tomatoes. I do not like peppercorns and when I saw pink berries I THOUGHT that might be peppercorns.

I scraped them off and ate the duck without them. The duck was fine but certainly not worth the price. My husband's sea bass filet was also unexceptional. When we were more than half done, the hostess finally stopped back to check on us. And again, our water glasses remained unfilled.

The gentleman out front told us about a Grand Marnier souffle for dessert. But guess what? It was sunday night and therefore, not on the menu.

After not seeing the waitress/hostess most of the night, the only time she was available to us was when we were signing the bill and the tip.

This is not the service we have become accustomed to in Grand Case nor the food we are accustomed to. When we talked to the gentleman out front about our poor experience he offered us a free bottle of wine if we came back. Well, guess what? I don't intend to ever go back.

We went to the guy at Bistrot Caraibes and told him that we were utterly disappointed with the Fish Pot and next time we would dine with him.

If you want really good service and wonderful food, go to Le Tastevin or Bistrot Caraibes. Skip the Fish Pot.

2  Thank Chancellor09
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Extremely well executed cuisine, very friendly owner and staff and attentive service. Perfectly cooked fish, excellent flavours. We thought the prices were in line with other dining choices in Grand Case (and better value than in London !) We will return. Paul + Marc

Reviewed April 17, 2011

The ambiance of this elegant beach side restaurant cannot be beat. Service was fine, but the food itself left something to be desired. Fish Pot offers classic French cooking; strangely, though, the menu and the evening's specials board (considerately written in both French and English) did not offer all that many seafood and fish options. (Their specialty is bouillabaisse -- essentially, the name of the restaurant -- which we heard one waiter recommending to a couple who asked for the house's "best dish;" at 43 euros, one wonders if it's the best or just the most profitable.)

The food is presented attractively, but while my fish entree was warm, the potatoes and vegetables were cool, even on the heated plate. (Classically French, there was a huge plate with small canelles of food placed just so around the meat or fish. One can only speculate that the plating contributed significantly to the food cooling off.) Even worse, the food was quite bland in flavor, and the restaurant does not provided salt and pepper shakers on tables. Given the interesting descriptions on the menu of unique flavor combinations, this was quite a disappointment.

It is unclear whether service (tip) was included or not, but if one pays by credit card, there does not appear to be a place to add it in. This restaurant is on the more expensive end of the spectrum, and IMHO, you can do better elsewhere.

1  Thank ********
Reviewed March 26, 2011

The atmosphere looked promising, but the service at the Fish Pot was so poor that the experience was ruined. We sat with empty drinks for more than thirty minutes on more than one occasion, and when an incorrect entree was presented from the kitchen, I had to go and find our server as he was chatting with his coworkers instead of checking on our food. One of the other entrees had obviously been sitting under the heat lamp for far too long, and the rice was so crunchy on top that it was inedible. To be fair, the other two entrees were pretty good, but compared to other dinners we had in Grand Case, we found the Fish Pot to be a big disappointment.

1  Thank sanibelrocks