“Loved it two times”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We spent 10 days fine dining in and around Grande Case, but went back here twice for the food and atmosphere. The second time was my Wife's Birthday.

1  Thank peter c

Reviewed February 12, 2012

On our trip to Grand Case we samples the lolos as well as the great French gourmet restaurants. The Auberge has fabulous atmosphere and was quite full when we visited. Reservations are a must...

We found the welcome to be perfunctory yet professional. The server was quite good but didn't take much time with us. Understandable given the full restaurant but the full house was clearly expected as the restaurant seems full most evenings.

We had a fabulous rose Sancerre with our meal. The meal itself was beautifully and artistically presented but mine was just drenched in butter. The flavors of the fresh ingredients seemed buried in the butter.

Overall, great atmosphere and food but a feeling that the service could be better given the calibre of the restaurant.

Reviewed February 10, 2012

I can't determine if I my being underwhelmed by the feeling of being rushed through our meal overcomes being overwhelmed by the terrific tastes that were presented. In all, our meal took a little under 2 hours so in retrospect, it is hard to "prove" that we felt rushed, but we did (2 other couples who were there before us, were still dining when we left.) Perhaps it was because there was no chef's tasting offered and that the first thing that came to our plate was our appetizers, deliciously cooked scallops with a light sear on them and a shrimp with fresh pineapple, a lovely salad, and perfectly grilled shrimp. My rack of lamb was succulent, melt in my mouth and more impressive than that I had at Le Tastevin just a few nights before. The meal came witha wonderful array of vegetables, cooked in different styles and making a beuatifully appealing looking plate. The champagne by the glass was one of the best we had during our week and was 10EU per glass - we each had a second glass. The wine list is extensive with a full array of pricing. Our dessert, a "special" on our day, was a mop up the plate piece of spongey cake with raspberry layers and a delicious dollop of vanilla ice cream. We also had a bottle of wine and the diner came to 170EU. Again, this is another street side restaurant in Grand Case that presents as a part of its "charm" the noise of loud music from cars, motorcycles in buzz and roar mode, and sometimes a waff of diesel fuel. If you like that, they have 3 tables or so street side, otherwise, sit inside. It's part of the gig and a small price to pay for such nice meals. Other than the rush feeling, this restaurant is 5 stars>

Reviewed February 8, 2012

Food was good, howevewr I felt like I was in a fast food place. They wanted me to order 2 mins. after sitting down and within 5 mins got my salad. Way to fast for the price.

2  Thank TMJETS
Reviewed February 7, 2012

L'Auberge was what I hoped a french restaurant would be like in Grand Case. We ate there three times and ordered different items each visit and all were hits. The veal chop and rack of lamb was cooked exactly the way I ordered it and were delicious. Cesar salad was very large and very good. The snails were garlicky and outstanding. The sea scallops and creole shrimps dish was divine. If you are a profiteroles fan, order these. I asked for extra chocolate sauce on the side, the second night Pascal, the proprietor, brought the sauce without me asking and the third night he teasingly asked me if I would like two chocolate sauce boats on the side. This was the only restaurant that we ate at in
Grand Case that had a nice selection of wines by the glass. Pascal and is entire staff are friendly, personable and seemed sincerely interested in my comfort and culinary happiness. I get great pleasure in writing this review.

2  Thank Nancy27