“Daytrip to Saba”

Anguilla Day Trip from St Maarten Including Lunch
Ranked #9 of 39 Tours in Simpson Bay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Aqua Mania Adventures offers daytrips on Edge to Saba & St Barts, daysails on Lambada & Tango to Angulla and Prickly Pear, Dinner and Sunset sails on Lambada & Tango, Scuba diving with Dive Adventures, inflatable boat rides with Rock 'n Roll, Half Day snorkel trips on Sand Dollar, around the island on Santino, Calypso Dinner Cruises to Marigot and is a One Stop Shop for Vacation Fun!
Boston, Massachusetts
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Daytrip to Saba”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Aqua Mania Adventures is a business located on the grounds of the Simpson Bay Resort. In fact, if you are staying at this resort, the Aqua Mania booking office is where guests may pick up their beach towels and swap the used ones for fresh.

To avoid a credit card surcharge, pre-pay online. But please note that even though Aqua Mania advertised on their website a special 10% off all excursions for charging with your Discover card from Oct - Dec 2013, there was no way to actually select that particular card online at my time of booking. However, the company made it right for me when I paid in person on the day of our outing.

The trip itself was casual with a ton of waiting - waiting in line to buy our tickets, waiting after our check-in for the ferry to begin boarding at 9am, waiting as we made our way out to Saba on the 90 min trip one way, waiting for the rest of our taxi's fellow passengers, waiting for my fellow hikers (or more like their waiting for me!) as we made our way up the rain forest covered mountain and back again, waiting for our our fellow taxi passengers for the ride back, and the 90 min trip back again.

Now I'm glad I went on this hike, but I must say, if I had known just how tough it was, I might have reconsidered. You'll want to be pretty fit to do this within the time allotted so that you make it back to the meeting spot appointed by the cab driver in time to get back to the ferry to St. Maarten after all!

The hike was pretty steep with quite a number of stairs to climb at times. The path is clear and you take the same one up that you return on. Trash cans are helpfully placed by a handful of shelters. Given that it was a rain forest, the ground was damp and slippery at times with slick moss and leaves. Be careful and wear shoes with a good grip on the soles - we managed it with sneakers, but we also watched where we placed our feet. Bring water, but not too much as it gets heavier as you make your way up.

We were fortunate that the view from the top was clear when we got there, as it is not always the case.

The ferry ride was a bit rough, so we drank some of the gingerale provided by the open bar in order to calm our stomachs. I appreciated that the captain pointed out the pod of dolphins and slowed down so that we could try to spot them on the way back.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank shutternut0

• Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Ferry to Saba”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The ferry to Saba was a lot smaller than I had imagined, especially since we were going to be on it for 90 minutes as we sailed through the ocean from one Caribbean island to another. And it was a bit wavy, but it did the job (as did the ginger pills I swallowed and the gingerale I drank). Speaking of which, drinks were provided on the ride - water and sodas were available options. And there were also facilities available should you need to relieve yourself on the ride (aka a bathroom).

The ferry took off shortly after 8am even though we were instructed to check in by 7am; guess we could have attempted to check in early and then head off to breakfast inbetween instead of hitting Bon Appetite around 6:30am (they were the only spot that was open early enough within walking distance of Aqua Mania.

This was not a cheap trip - the two way daytrip cost $80 per adult with a $12 additional per person port fee, and we also got the $35pp Saba lunch and tour package, which provided us with a sack lunch and an adrenaline filled ride on narrow streets along the side of the mountain called Saba.

Our driver wisely dropped us off at the higher spot along the hiking path up the mountain. I basically died on the trip up - it took us about 80 minutes to make it up, with many pauses so that I could catch up to myself (as I put it), and about 105 min to make it down to the very bottom. The rainforest we walked through was quite pretty and interesting, but I would recommend good shoes with good soles since wetness made leaves and rocks a bit slick, although we were able to make it in our sneakers. I would also recommend bringing a change of tops to change into after the hike's end. Otherwise, pack light!

The same taxi later picked us up several minutes before 2pm to haul us back to the ferry for our 2:30 departure back to Sint Maarten.

Passports are required as these are each a different country, and we had to get checked at the Harbor Office upon both arrival and departure.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank shutternut0
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“On a calm day its great”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Very good service over to Saba in the morning and then we came back again in the afternoon. Left right on time, Saba is really worth the trip, its like no place else on earth. The boat ride was fairly quick, I'd say maybe 30 min or so. We lucked out as the sea was fairly calm. Give it a try.

Cincinnati OH
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Prickly Pear/Anguilla”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We had a fabulous time onboard the Labamba! Captain John and his crew were very professional, nice yet fun! I was super nervous about taking this trip since I get seasick but thankfully that didn't happen. The catamaran was a smooth sail! They served snacks and plenty of rum punch which I found to be very good! We first snorkeled Prickly Pear which I thought was very good snorkeling. (it's not the snorkeling you see in Mexico but it was the best snorkeling that we saw on our entire trip) I believe we had about an hour to snorkel which was plenty of time. We saw lots of good fish! Then we went to Anguilla and had a lunch buffet at Roys Bayside Grill. The food was great! The only downside was that you didn't stay on Anguilla very long, hour and a half tops. My husband enjoyed a game of volleyball while I soaked up the rays. On the way back I decided I would try laying on the nets. Again I was worried about being sea sick but I actually found the ride smoother in the front. We laid our beach towels down and enjoyed a very relaxing ride home. I would definitely recommend this trip and will probably do it again when we return in 2 years!

2 Thank Jamiekm
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Day Trip to Anguilla”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Sailed on the Tango for a day trip to Anguilla. A wonderful sail, a fantastic crew and a good time had by all. It was a great party both ways. The crew keeps the music going and the drinks flowing! The bread, cheese and apple slices were very welcome both out bound and on the return.

Anguilla is an interesting place. Been there, done that. Would only go again for the experience on the Tango. We booked to go to Shoal Bay, supposedly one of the top 10 beaches in the world. The Tango let us off at Cove Bay on the other side of the island and next time we would stay there. The beach was just as beautiful and we would have saved 45 minutes each way on the bus.

We spoke with other people at our hotel who had done other tours with Aqua Mania and they all had the same great experience, whether it was the around the island cruise or the sunset cruise these people take care of their customers. I haven't heard anything but good things about them and everyone we spoke to would go on another excursion with Aqua Mania next time they have the chance.

Thanks for the endless stream of Coor's Light, Sammy!!

2 Thank Christine_David_TO