“Everything I expected, and more”

Turquoise Shell Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
seattle
“Everything I expected, and more”
Reviewed April 1, 2009

It's always a little scary to book small places online, but I was pleasantly suprised by the Turquoise Shell Inn. It was all everyone on tripadvisor said and more. Clean, large rooms, well maintained property. Steps away from a beautiful beach on Simpson Bay. Marcus and Carter were great hosts, always willing to answer a question about where to eat or how to get somewhere. They arranged our rental car for us (hint: if you have more than two adults, go for a little larger car, as you tend to bottom out on every speed bump, which there are many). One of the best meals we had was the all you can eat ribs at Lee's Roadside Grill. Go watch the airplanes land at the Sunset Beach Bar one afternoon. Pretty cool and great people watching.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joy009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Hurley, Ny
Reviewed March 22, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a week from march 11-18 and recommend this hotel for anyone travelling to the Island. Marcus and Carter are great hosts and really know how to make someone feel at home. It is all the small things that make this place so great.....newspaper in the morning, beach chairs, advice, and personal attention. We have been to the Island 13 or 14 times and would rate this small hotel as one of the best we have stayed at. Each room has a kitchen and living room with a sperate bedroom, so if you are travelling on a budget you can make any or all meals right in your room. Do not hesitate to book at this hotel, you will NOT be disappointed at all. I am a little hesitant writing this review because places like this you like to be a secret. Thank you Marcus and Carter for making our stay so great and we look forward to booking again in the very near future.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shadow192
Washington, DC
Reviewed March 8, 2009

This was my first trip to St. Martin. I am a female traveler that went solo. Everyone that I met was very nice!!! I never felt unsafe and since everything was so close to the hotel, I did do some walking at night. That doesn't mean that I didn't remain cautious and aware, use your best judgement. The room was actually a one bedroom apartment. It had everything that I needed, was very clean and lost of space. Markus and Carter were wonderful!! They were able to arrange a rental car for me once I arrived at the hotel which I hadn't planned to do prior to my arrival. The car rental agency (Horizon) brought the car to me and when it was time to return it, they picked it up and even came back later that day to take me to the airport. I went to Orient Beach and Dawn Beach. Orient was my favorite beach. I preferred CoCo Beach Club where you do have to pay for chairs and umbrella rentals. The service, food, drinks and the vibermade it well worth it but there are other options for less or free. I am happy that my hotel was on the Dutch side. It was in a great location, you can walk to restaurants and bars. It's also close to the caisno and a few clubs. I never made it to either one but it was nice to have the option. The Royal Palm has a nice happy hour and you can watch the boats in the afternoons. Lee's Roadside Grill had had the best ribs! I can't wait to go back to St. Martin!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank TyFD4Life
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Turquoise Shell Inn is centrally located in the heart of the Simpson Bay area, within a short walk of the yacht bridge. There are dozens of choices of eateries in this square mile, including delicious carry-out Chinese ("Island Seafood Restaurant") a half-block toward the bridge. There is no crime in this area -- the most dangerous act is crossing the street (although drivers are much more tolerant toward pedestrians than in the States). There are also a number of fun bars nearby, though that also means some late-night noise on the weekends (but with a good pair of earplugs, we slept fine). The pool is small but refreshing with ample sun and lounge chairs (and with only 10 rooms, rarely crowded). You can step out the back of the complex (into mid-evening), cross a street, and immediately you find yourself on a quiet beach -- where you can search for seashells by day and view cruise ships after dusk. If you smoke, you must do so on your front patio (rooms 1 through 5 on the street-level floor), as the hotel maintains a policy of keeping rooms immaculate (with the help of Pauline, who keeps them spic-and-span). The kitchenette supplies are top-notch including 2 custom ice trays which can quickly resupply the much-needed ice (as the air-conditioning is available only in the bedroom , so maintaining a cold drink was a must -- even with a good room fan). There are about 30 cable TV channels, including all U.S. networks, HBO, ESPN and The Weather Channel. The bathroom was rather small and stuffy but shower gel and shampoo dispensers were kept full. We would suggest bringing your own washrags if you use mascara. Safe deposit boxes are available in the office and we were able to get into our whenever we needed to without delay. It was a nice plus to find a Miami Herald outside our door each weekday morning. We would also recommend the bicycle shop just down the street -- I rented a TREK bike for a week and was treated with respect by drivers as I toured the entire island. Finally, we highly recommend the fun and inexpensive "water taxi" to/from Marigot -- it can also include a memorable tour of Simpson Bay for a very reasonable fee (Gervais is an excellent tour guide and skipper)...and a ride can be arranged by phone for pickup at a number of docks at or near the bars along the bay (deepbleusxm.com). Concluding, "the Shell" is the best budget bet in a top location on an otherwise expensive St. Maarten.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Southern_Cross_Gazer
niagara, ontario
Reviewed February 3, 2009

This hotel is a must for anyone. Marcus and Carter made our stay enjoyable. They were more than willing to assist and advise us on our first trip to the island. We can't wait to take another vacation. Just as a note, the rooms were very, very clean.

• Liked — The Owners
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed December 14, 2008

When we were planning our trip to St. Maarten the reviews on Trip Advisor helped us decide on the Turquiose Shell Inn. We found that everthing shared by other visitors was true. The rooms are immaculate and we loved having a fully equipped kitchen. The location is perfect with a secluded beach right on the property, lots of great restaurants within walking distance, easy access by bus to Philipsburg and other locations, set back from the main road where it is peaceful and quiet. The manager, Carter, was helpful and attentive to our every need- the service cannot be beat! If we are able to return to St. Maarten, we would not stay anywhere else.

• Liked — cleanliness, location, beach access
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TwosomeTravelers
New York
Reviewed December 5, 2008

Don't be alarmed when you first pull up. We came in thru the back gate that faces the beach and were a little worried. However, once inside, everything was great. Carter greeted us with a smile and lots of information. The room was nice and clean and the kitchen is fully stocked. You also get a tv with all of the cable channels. The air conditioner in the bedroom works well and keeps you cool at night. The little pool gets lots of sun and was a nice place to jump in at the end of the day. The bed linens are nice and soft; however, the bed is rather hard. If the mattress had been of better quality this place definitely would have gotten 5 stars from us. Our only other complaint would be the noise. While we loved being in town and able to walk to tons of restaurants, bars and shops, it was loud at night. There is a bar close by that had a karaoke night the first night we were there and you could hear almost every word. Also, there are some dogs somewhere close by that bark at night, and also a rooster I think in the morning. Oh and also plane noise. It sounds really noisy but it was definitely something you could get used to and is probably par for the course if you choose to stay in town instead of somewhere more remote. Simpson Beach is a great place to watch the sunset and easily accessible from the hotel. We also rented a car from Horizon (Carter can give you a card) and they were great - no problems.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Beds
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Beach_Buddys
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay
Flamingo Beach Resort
Flamingo Beach Resort
#1 of 6 in Philipsburg

Been to Turquoise Shell Inn? Share your experiences!