Turquoise Shell Inn
Atrium Beach Resort and Spa(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$99
  • Pool
Travel Inn Hotel(Simpson Bay)
$85
Mary's Boon Beach Hotel and Spa(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$75
$73
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $83/night.

Simpson Bay Suites(Simpson Bay)
$122
Baker's Suites(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$109
$98
The Villas at Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$278
$128
Priceline
Commodore Suites(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$150
$130
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$202
$92
Priceline
Savings alert! 39% below average rates

The price you found is 39% lower than this hotel's average rate of $152/night.

Azure Hotel & Art Studio(Simpson Bay)(Great Value!)
$77
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of $98/night.

Hotels.com
All reviewsst maartenclose to the airportbeach towelsunittimeshare
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The Turquoise Shell Inn has a lot to offer for a very reasonable price. Steps away from the beach on Simpson Bay, which is beautiful and quiet.. Many restaurants with in walking distance. The rooms are extremely clean and the little kitchen is another perk. The manager, Carter, is so helpful and knows the island so well you feel like family right away. I hope I will return next year ,
and you can bet I will stay at the T SHELL INN.. While on the island I recommend you try Byblos Lounge and Restaurant also on Simpson Bay excellent food and great staff ...Some nights they have music and a belly dancer.....FUN FUN FUN......................

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2013

First off, I've got to say straight up that the Turquoise Shell Inn is not a luxury hotel or resort, so if you're looking for 5-star style pampering and accomodation, this isn't for you. What the TSI does offer is clean, comfortable accomodation centrally located. And the welcome and service given by the main man - Carter - really puts the icing on the cake.

TSI is located off the main street through Simpson Bay. You get to it by passing through the car park of a local bank. Its situation - well back from the street, but sandwiched between it and the beach - is a good one affording a nice level of privacy and security.

The hotel is small - only 10 rooms, each with a fully fitted kitchenette and separate bedroom. The kitchen facilities gave us options for breakfast, and a constant source of ice and cold drinks. Bathroom and bedroom were both basic but clean and comfortable (air condiioning is provided in the bedroom only). The hotel encourages recycling (+++!) and also asks guests to reuse towels whenever they can, although there is no problem with changing these every day if you want to. There is a small swimming pool within the hotel courtyard. We spent many hours just sitting in or around the pool soaking up the sun and sipping rum punch. Step out a small gate from the courtyard and you are right on to the southern tip of a lovely sandy beach that runs off into the distance towards the airport. If you want to spend some time on the beach, Carter is happy to provide you with chairs and other accessories you might need.

Some previous reviewers mention the noise levels, but I can't say that they affected us much. We are definitely not night owls, but I can honestly say that even on a Friday/Saturday evening the noise coming from the local bars wasn't enough to keep us awake. I had earplugs with me but didn't need to use them. Still an idea to pack them though, if you are a light sleeper. The other noise concern people might have is the proximity to the airport. Again, we did not find this to be an issue at all. The airport is not all that busy as far as big jets go, and the only time you really hear them is on takeoff when they fly directly overhead. There seems to be only about 8 to 10 departures per day involving larger aircraft, and they stop early evening. Really nothing much to worry about at all.

The Turquoise Shell is very centrally located in Simpson Bay and handy for several good bars, restaurants, and local shops. I can particularly recommend The Palms bar/restaurant, almost right next door.

To recap, don't book The TSI if you want resort level comfort where you are waited on from head to toe. If you want a clean and comfortable place to get your head down, get a warm local welcome, and offering value for money in a good location then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
TShellSxm, Owner at Turquoise Shell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

I would like to thank this guest for a complete and honest review. We do try to make our visitors comfortable and like to hear when they have enjoyed their time at the T shell

Reviewed May 27, 2013

These are really good clean apartments, just behind a rather nice beach and close to bars, restaurants, coffee shops and 7-11s. Try walking along the beach at sunset watching planes take off and land and great birds diving for fish - there's a really cool bar near the end too.

The apartments are a good size with a separate lounge, bedroom & shower & a fully fitted kitchen area with fridge & cooker so you can cook / make picnics. There is a good premium cable TV package - got BBC America which gets my vote.

Carter & the staff were very friendly & helpful - arranged great value car hire for us (US$25 a day) and lent us coolbags, beachmats and snorkels/masks.

We had a great time on St Maarten - in large part thanks to the help from the team at Turquoise Inn. I would recommend a car to get round the small island - it means you can go to the French side and explore lots of beaches, which really are stunning. Another must is to go to Maho beach and watch the planes coming in - it feels like you could reach up and touch them they are that close. And buy baguettes - really crisp and French.

Only a few minor drawbacks - wifi is patchy - but free and you can get a signal if you wander round the car park a bit. There was a lot of loud music on Friday & Saturday night, but earplugs dealt with that, and an air conditioner on an adjacent building could be a bit loud during the day - but zipping off to the beach dealt with that.

I would recommend the nearby Byblos lebanese restaurant - excellent food, good wine & gentle live music.

Overall great value for money, your own space to relax in, helpful and friendly people, a beautiful and relaxing island. If that's not a description of Excellent, then I don't know what is.

Room Tip: I'd try for an apartment closer to the main buiding / beach.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed here from 10th til 16th May 13. Carter is a really genuine and helpful guy, even gave me some aftersun he had for my sunburn! Location really couldn't be better, some reviews mention excessive noise but if I'm honest, I didn't notice it once.
Rooms are very clean and adequate, maid service every day except Sunday.
Pool is small to be fair but it does the job and there are a few sunbeds and umbrellas.
Plenty of bars and restaurants within easy walking distance, and if you fancy a big sandwich, with hot or cold fillings I would recommend "Little Jerusalem', about 1 minute from the hotel, beats Subway any day!
I went for the aviation really, and two days running I walked to and from the Sunset Beach Bar on Maho Beach, took me 40-45 minutes, but very frequent busses will do the same job for about $1.50.
So would I recommend the Turquoise Shell Inn?
Yeah absolutely, I'd happily return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for one night, first week in May. The place was clean, with a kitchen, very close to all the restaurants and the airport. The owner was very friendly. The beach was right out back. Would stay again.

1  Thank Tyrone G