“Great dining by the bay”
Review of Panlaan Thai on the Bay - CLOSED

Panlaan Thai on the Bay
Cuisines: Asian, Steakhouse, Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The only waterfront Thai restaurant in St. Maarten. Authentic Thai cuisine in a tranquil waterfront surrounding with both, indoor and outdoor seating...Open everyday. Lunch 12pm-3pm Monday-Friday Dinner 6pm-10pm Sunday-Thursday Dinner 6pm-11pm Friday-Saturday
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

A really true Thai restaurant on the island with amazing flavor, ambience and service. For a number of years SXM was missing a great Thai restaurant and now we have one again

Reviewed September 29, 2013

An diamond on the bay, a beautiful restaurant on the Bay, pretty and relaxing. The service was excellent attentive but not annoying. The food was amazing, flavourful, plenty of choice and exactly what we were looking for!
Depending on where you sit you may need to apply bug spray, it is on the water and at night so not surprising.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is the only truly Thai restaurant on the island. We have been to this restaurant over 5 times and the food is always good and consistent. It is located at the waters edge of the lagoon which can be either good or bad depending on the night. If it is no a very windy night sometimes you can get a bad smell from the lagoon water.

Regardless I highly recommend this place to anybody.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I stopped by last week rolling through the island--stopped by is a bit of a stretch since we planned on going here one of our three nights on SXM. I eat a lot of Thai food around the world--maybe not as much as my wife who is Thai--but enough to make decent comparisons. Being so far from humanity I thought PanLaan [thousand million, or billion to us English speakers :) ]was gonna lack authentic noodles [pad thai is NOT made with spaghetti, generally], authentic peeps running it, or other little menu nuances.

I'm happy to report we were pleased with our visit. Granted the service is somewhat on Island Time and sitting outside you're gonna get a handful of mosquitoes ('yung'; they have spray--use it before sitting down), the food was surprisingly good for prices not out of the park considering some of the stuff is imported (after speaking with Lek the co-owner). I loved the appetizer--the fried pork ($9, and I'm not usually a pork guy) especially when dipping in the Sriracha. Water from tap is nice especially in places overseas that generally bring you bottles (mandatory in Thailand but Germany??)--maybe carryover from mainland here but welcome when eating spicy. With that I order the drunken noodles ($17) which were made with Thai chillies and not jalepenos--a common substitute. Basil was fresh--picked from on side of building in little ad hoc garden. Wife got the green curry fried rice with chicken ($18) and it was big--far larger than most places and unusually, we took it back to the hotel. Even at twice price that you'd get Stateside, honestly I though they were going to be more expensive. We were opting out of dessert but I manned up and got the fried banana: server (two actually and I wish I could remember their names but both were excellent) said we could have vanilla and coconut ice cream--so we did :):)

Place has wifi which was nice but not necessary but being able to geotag pics immediately and whatnot is a handy convenience. Bathrooms were small but fine for the size of the establishment and the bar looked fully stocked even though we didn't order anything from there. Sitting outside is certainly the way to go--miss out on A/C and get mosquitoes but spray for the latter and don't miss the former; good view across the bay and the mood lighting outside was nice as the sun dropped but may have gotten a bit dark as sun completely disappeared. No AMEX like most places on island :( We chit-chatted quite a bit with Lek the owner (Phoenix transplants), less so with her partner though he stopped by at the end of our meal to make sure everything was as expected. Good signage out front but I imagine parking would be a booger during busier times.

We'd go back again and next time I'd get grapow cai dow!

2  Thank Goog_and_Pooh
Reviewed September 14, 2013

the best thai food on the island
every dish we have had has been authentic and wonderful. far better than we can ever cook at home. and the portions especially soups, are huge!!! The view is truly tranquil, and they even have mozquito spray for those of us who have sensitive skin