“Wonderful find”

Panlaan Thai on the Bay
Cuisines: Asian, Steakhouse, Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The only waterfront Thai restaurant in St. Maarten. Authentic Thai cuisine in a tranquil waterfront surrounding with both, indoor and outdoor seating...Open everyday. Lunch 12pm-3pm Monday-Friday Dinner 6pm-10pm Sunday-Thursday Dinner 6pm-11pm Friday-Saturday
Connecticut
“Wonderful find”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was by far our best restaurant so far on this vacation. We will go back before heading home.
I'm so glad that we have this site to check things out as I would not have found this place on my own. The atmosphere is quiet and romantic. The food is exceptional. We felt that our waitress was a little distracted but notice that the other waitstaff were attentive You should make reservations so you won't be disappointed. Try the wonton or sashimi appetizer..great

Pittsburgh
“Top Thai worthy of rating”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Comfortable, quiet, pleasant setting on the bay with most tables Al Fresco. I was sceptical of the #6 rating, not in Simpson bay where T A rates it #1, but on the entire Island that is worthy of it's reputation as the gourmet capital of the Caribbean. Well don't doubt it! The wine list is a bit weak but the food was as good as the best Thai I've had in the States. Don't let the waiter talk you into ordering your dish "mild" spicy if you like the authentic kick of Thai/spicy food. I ordered the cashew chicken Medium and I could have eaten it hotter even though I'm not a big proponent of food too hot to taste it's intricacies. We ordered the Pad Thai mild and it had no spiciness at all! Not a crime for this dish but still the waiter was over the top in trying to steer us away from the hotter options pushing us to go with the "mild" spicy option (choices are mild, Medium, hot, & Thai hot). Food was excellently prepared and the service was attentive and professional.

1 Thank David W
BalyDesigns, Owner at Panlaan Thai on the Bay, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear David,
Thank you for your great review! I'm happy to inform that a new and improved wine list has been in the works for a little while and will finally be available as of tomorrow.

We look forward to your next visit.

Jon
Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious Thai food, great service”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We lucked out finding this gem while vacationing with a mostly vegetarian group. Through TripAdvisor reviews, I found out about this Thai restaurant and emailed the restaurant about setting up a more private dining experience for my group (we were on vacation for a bachelorette celebration). The owner got back to me right away and told me he would set us up a more private dining area for us and would send a bottle of prosecco on the house for the bachelorette. When we got there, we were absolutely blown away by the private area. We were set up right on the pier...it was a beautiful night and eating under the stars by the water was amazing. The food was equally fantastic and our waitstaff was very friendly and accommodating. Having to deal with our rowdy large group of girls with a smile is definitely a challenge and our waiter did it with such patience and friendliness.

This restaurant is definitely recommended for everyone and a MUST for vegetarians.

1 Thank ckao
Branson, Missouri
“Great Thai food! One of our favorite places in SXM!”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We chose Panlaan Thai based soley on the reviews here on TripAdvisor. When we notice a restaurant is #1 in an area we tend to be a little more critical and go in with higher expectations. This time we were not dissapointed!

We made reservations that we had to keep pushing back and they were very accomidating! We never felt like we were causing issues delaying our arrival time as they were busy when we did finally arrive. We had great service which is hard to find in SXM. We had 6 in our party total and typically you always have one or two that aren't happy, but we ALL enjoyed our meals. I really wish we would have found this place sooner on our vacation as we would have enjoyed eating here again and trying some of the other menu items. The outdoor seating on the bay was nice. It's a great location. Reasonable prices, great service, quality food!

They are a little hard to find as they are behind the buildings that are street front so you have to keep a close eye out when driving by for the sign. Also if you order the food HOT, it will actually be HOT!!!

Panlaan is one of our favorite places that we ate on our vacation, if not our top! (It even could be our top Thai place anywhere!!!) We will 100% return on our next trip to SXM.

new york city
“Better than NYC Thai!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Ate her at dusk .. Quiet beautiful setting .. Huge portions, über yummy! And now I have breakfast and lunch for tomorrow. 2 thumbs up! Great survive!