“4 wonderful years” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean's Edge Condos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Simpson Bay
Ocean's Edge Condos
Weaverville, North Carolina
“4 wonderful years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

Just got home from our fouth year, renting at Ocean's Edge. Each year has been longer and next year we are going back for a month. We have stayed in both of the ocean front patio units and found them to be everything that was advertised, they are well maintained, equipped and managed well. The booking is easy and the on site manager, Gordon, is nice and helpful. They just added a 16 foot deck to the existing patio which essentially gives you just that more living space. The only reason I hesitate to write this review is because others will find it......but that is life on the island.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank aceslr

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed at Ocean's Edge twice last year once in March 2011 for a week when we rented the patio unit and once in December for 10 days where we had the opportunity to try both of the beachfront units. We new when renting the patio unit that it was a budget unit but everything we needed was there. The room was nice and just as we expected from seeing the pictures. We wanted a beach view the next time and having stayed at Beachside Villas and Mary's Boon (which also has budget basement units) we new the price and value were at Ocean's Edge.
Since our trip in March the beach unit had an extended deck added which gives more room for the lounges and sunning. As mentioned we tried both units because the first unit while very nicely appointed had a moth ball smell that would not go away. Gordon switched us over to the other unit and was going to have the curtains and linens dry cleaned to get the smell out of the first unit. Being on the beach was much nicer with the spectacular views and fresh breezes.
All of the units have two air conditioners with one key so you switch between units living room to bedroom. On the beachfront side we found that we did not need the living room air as the breeze was sufficient.
Everything we needed was provided and both units had a good selection of spices and condiments.
Outside we had the lounges and also two Tommy Bahama folding chairs and a beach umbrella to use if you visit another beach.
One of the beachfront units had a pull out couch in the living area which might be useful with a young child but I would not recomended this for more than a couple.
Simpson Bay Beach is in my opinion the best due to limited public access. We did have a problem the day we arrived with people parked in the private lot but that was the only time.
Karakter is just down the beach for a great lunch or supper as well as Mary's Boon restaurant.

We will probably be back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Candu_scuba
Arlington Heights, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2011

I could not believe what I found when I arrived at this condo after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. I rented a patio unit and all I can say is this was the most shabby, tired, sad, depressing place I have seen in a long while. You enter from an alley. The first thing I saw was a filthy kitchen rug and a can of Raid. The place smelled musty and moldy. The furniture was battered and bruised. All the rugs/mats around were so old the rubber backing was almost gone. The towels were threadbare and some had holes. The bedroom linnens looked like they were bought years ago from Goodwill. The bathroom was tiny with cracked tile. The cell phone provided for island calls did not work. When I finally got ahold of the property manager I was told that the room was a "budget" unit and I should not have expected more. The place bore no similarity to the photos offered on the website. Of course there is no refund but it was so dreary and depressing that I decided to eat the investment and move to Mary's Boon down the street to salvage my vacation. That place was actually clean and deligtful for a similar price. Please, don't disregard this warning. I read so many reviews on TripAdvisor before I rented this place and felt assured it would be good. It may be that there is actaully a decent unit or 2 but it was not my luck to get one of those. I should also mention the "patio" had the feel of junk in an alley.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JudiH0
OceansEdgeOwner, Manager at Ocean's Edge Condos, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Oceans Edge condos values it's repeat customers and their past glowing reviews of their visits on TripAdvisor, thus our dismay on this type of biased review. This reviewer reserved and paid for a budget condo, as exactly represented on our website.

Oceans Edge offers two styles of condos: upscale beachfront condos, and also budget minded patio condos(nonBeachfront).

This review pertains to one of the budget minded patio condos, not the upscale beachfront condos.

The previous guest loved this unit, and the guest that checked in right after this reviewer loved the condo. These guests had realistic expectations when renting a budget minded condo.

This reviewer complained the TV did not work. We showed her how to press the correct buttons on the remote and the TV was working. Same with the PC; showed her how to properly turn on the PC, and it worked. Same with the cell phone...there were two small spots on the kitchen rug, so the rug was removed.

The bed linens provided are clean 200 thread count sheets, not 600 thread count like a 5 star hotel. The same maid that does the cleaning for the upscale beachfront condos also does this condo as well, and she takes pride on her cleaning abilities like so many hard working island locals do.

Again, this reviewer rented the patio budget condo, which is marketed for the budget minded vacationer looking for a clean quiet place to stay, while being just 45 steps from the ocean. It is not intended to compete with our ocean front condos, either in price or amenities. She paid for a budget condo, and that was what was delivered.

Bottom line is that this one review does dismay the owners, but reading the other previous positive reviews show that Oceans Edge condos are a real value, and that we sure managed to please most everyone else. Our TripAdvisor reviews speak for themselves, and we do value the valid feedback from past guests. So much so we placed the TripAdvisor logo on our website !
Elgin, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

I actually stayed at this condo in May of 2009. I have to tell you, I have been to St Maarten 3 times now and the Simpson Bay area is our favorite. We 1st stayed in Maho, then found Oceans Edge. This was the 1st time we rented a 'condo' so I didn't really have any expectations. I couldn't believe how everything I 'needed' was already there! The kitchen is stocked and as nice as home. The bedroom has great linens. Extra Towels, a computer so I didn't have to pack my own. Use of a phone for FREE to call the states, a cell for emergencies so I didn't have to rent one. Chairs to lounge on the beach. A grill for a private dinner at the condo. A little patio to have a few drinks and play cards at night. A library of worn in beach ready books... This place was great. The biggest mistake I made was not rebooking the same place in May 2010. We knew we were going back to St Maarten and were going back to Simpson Bay. I thought it would be smart to try someplace else so I went with the #1 ranked Azure. If it's number 1 it has to be great right? Eh.... Well... great location (Simpson Bay). But my expectations were WAY to high going into this place from Oceans Edge. It doesn't even compare. If you are looking for a great ROOMY place to settle into for a week or more, Ocean's Edge is your place. Plus its really close to Karacters, a great beach bar ;) I am sorry I didn't write the review sooner. Oceans Edge is #1 in my book. And a little more about Simpson Bay: Close to everything! We beach hopped during the day. Grabbed a reasonably priced meal right in Simpson Bay at night and then bar hopped and gambled. All close to the condo. When we go back to St Maarten, we'll stay here!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank raclark17
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2010

Stayed at this great one-bedroom condo right on the beach with my husband for 2 weeks in April. This was my 6th trip to SXM, but first time to stay in a private condo. The condo was perfect for the 2 of us--clean and so well-equipped with everything you could imagine, right down to padded lounge chairs, coolers and even rafts. Not to meniton a phone for free calls to the US and a small computer to keep us up to date. No need to even leave! Simpson Beach is probably one of the nicest beaches I have been to on SXM--very few people, nice and long for those walks on the beach and great for swimming with a different view every day as different boats moor in the bay each day. All this just 5 steps from your porch! Location was good too with lots of restaurants within a mile or so. We're definitely looking forward to spending more time at Ocean's Edge on our next trip to SXM!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ReneeJ57
Central, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2010

Condo

The condo was very nice and spacious and the outdoor patio was a great place to relax.

Beach

The beach and water were great. There were times when we would look to the left and right and could only see a few people. If privacy is what you’re looking for, this place is perfect.

Town
We didnt rent a car, but most people in the area had cars.
The big grocery store and restaurants were only a short 8-10 minute walk. It has everything you’ll need to cook at home. There was also a small store about 4 minutes away. I would highly recommend walking a little further to the big place. Also, It only took about 20 minutes to walk to the main area with the casinos and many more restaurants. We loved IZI, Pineapple Pete, Rancho/Tequila, and The Wharf.

Nearby Restaurants

100 yards down the beach is Mary’s Boon and then Karacter. We ate lunch and dinner at both since they were so close. Mary’s Boon was always empty, but the food was still good. Karacter is a "school bus" on the beach. When we saw it, we didn’t expect too much. But it had a great atmosphere during the day and night and the food was great. It was probably our favorite place to go for happy hour or dinner.

Our only Con was the constant airplanes overhead from 730 a.m. until about 7 at night. There were some hours where 6-8 planes would fly over the beach, and some where only 3-4 would fly over. Most of these were smaller planes, but when the big ones take off, they get really loud. The big planes take off about 200 yards behind the condo. The first few we saw were entertaining, but after 5 days of it, we were slightly annoyed. If there were no airplanes, this place would be perfect It’s that great of an area, beach, and condo. I wouldn’t let this sway you away from staying in this area of Simpson Bay, but it’s worth noting.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
western new england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2009

I've been to St Maarten two times and both times I have stayed at the Ocean's Edge condo. If you are looking for a one bedroom condo with all the amenities of home, this is the place for you.

In addition to a great kitchen, living room and bedroom, the condo has a desktop computer with internet access and a phone that allows you to place calls to the US for free.

The condo is oceanfront and is directly on Simpson Beach. While it is near the airport and the down side is the occasional plane taking off or landing, the upside is that you will never see any construction because of the proximity to the airport..

Ten mintues after clearing customs you are in your condo. You can't beat that.

Without a doubt, this place is the best value on St. Maarten.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
The Villas at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Royal Palm Beach Resort
Royal Palm Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay

Been to Ocean's Edge Condos? Share your experiences!