“Great for a Family Trip”

The Villas at Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed for seven nights at the Villas at Simpson Bay. We had a two bedroom suite, which included a full kitchen, dining area, very large balcony overlooking the ocean, master bedroom with king sized bed, and a second bedroom with two full size beds. Check in was quick, the suite was clean and well equipped, and the people very friendly and helpful.

Our only two complaints: The pool never is 100% sunny, which seems like a planning goof. There are other pools on the property, but this pool was the largest. Also, there is a bar across the bay (La Bamba) which played loud music until the wee hours of the morning, and we were never able to totally silence that by closing the balcony door. Also, the tennis courts needed upgrading and resurfacing. Other than that, we were quite pleased how this property enhanced our vacation in St Maarten

Room Tip: Chhose a suite on the third floor, you will be able to park right outside your suite
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank PinaColadaLover
There are newer reviews for The Villas at Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina

Reviewed December 30, 2013

the hotel was lovely. Spacious rooms and huge balcony looking out onto Simpson Bay. Beach was small. Pools were beautiful. Front desk is slow.
On a side note...we visited Plume Bay on the west side of the island and our car was broken into and money stolen from my wallet. We were parked less than one hour. They took $60 from the $100 i had in my wallet :-/ They pried open the passenger door - looked like with a crow bar - right above the window. Afterwards, we noticed that many rental cars had the same "mark" above the door. ha! Leave nothing in the car - including the trunk.
It has not stopped us from returning to St. Maarten...but the government should crack down on these break-in's.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank java32779
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Ibooked at this resortfor 1 main reason: the kitchen, travelling with a baby a kitchen is needed, at least for us.
So, the resort has different buildings, each one has a name,but they call them by their initials as for example we were in the Croton building, they call it C. Plus the main building which overviews the sea and where the reception/lobby is and it has a poolon its own.
When I called I have been told that the mail building's libby was renovated but the units i side were not: WRONG!! The. Units are i deeed renovated, I didnt have a chance to look at them but I have been told they are very nice.
We have been assigned a villa in the C building, I called multiple times asking and making sure there were no stairs or if there were, there was an elevator, as we were travellin with a baby in a stroller, theysaid NO stairs: WRONG AGAIN!! To get to the unit wehad togo down 10 stairs, no elevator and no way around it. I was pretty annoyed about it.
As for theunit, we were staying in C2A, we had the view of the back of the mail building with a side of a little sea if you crooked your head.
The unit per se was nice although a little dark, all the villas run on solar panels.
The staff was very nice and extremely accomodating, we asked for a crib, theyfirstbrought a mini one my son's finger couldnt fit in, when I asked for a bigger one I was told theydidnt have one but after galf an hour they knockedon the doorand showed up with a fullsize crib. They also brought us a high chair.
About cleaning, from what I read in the reviews I wasnt expecting much, but they did show up every day to change towels and straighten up ... i dont believe they cleaned much though as the floors were filthy, our socks were BLACK after walking on that floor without shoes.
The unit was a 1 bedroom, and the living room had a murphy bed queen size.
Also, you can hear a rooster from the balcony, not sure where it was from but that rooster didn't keep quiet.
I liked the unit 'till I learned that the actual newer ones werein the B BUILDING!! Again! When I booked nobody told me that!
To get to the beach from the C building is all downhill, thefun begins when you have to go back, it's a HIKE!! I would have not minded it if we didnt have to push a stroller uphill as well!

The resort has about maybe 6/7 pools scattered around, maybe one for each building? Our building had its own pool which was almost always empty.
The main pool is the one in front of the main building, and has a little more life, you can choose to go to any.

The resort has its own restaurants (we didn't try them) and a small market.
There is a bigger supermarket 10 mins away which we found convenient.

We went the week before Christmas and the resort was not crowded at all.
The first day we went by mistake to the time share side of the beach and I have been told the beach was not natural but man made. The sand was not as soft as the one at the Westin.
The second day we got sent to the hotel side of the beach, which I found weird as I have been told we could go anywhere no matter what.

The whole resort was full of an older crowd, mostly owned a timeshare.

Overall, it was decent, maybe we would go back if they decided to give me CORRECT INFORMATION!

Room Tip: Pick the main building or the B building. C building would be the next option down. Enjoy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank yellowstar123
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

I came here for one night, wanting a good night's rest between a sailing trip and some travel to South America.

I was all set to give this place five stars: the beautiful pool, the convenient location, the picturesque beach... until I tried to sleep.

I had a great ocean front room but the pounding noises of nearby nightlife resonated even through the earplugs I travel with and the headphones I tried to block out the noise. It was simply impossible to sleep. Such a disappointment for what looked like such a nice room.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ashmidalia
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This was our 4th trip to St. Maarten and our second time staying at the Villas at Simpson Bay. Four years ago we shared a two bedroom unit with friends, this time a one bedroom unit for the two of us.

The main room is huge and includes two murphy beds, a full kitchen with granite, refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, oven, microwave, coffee pot, blender, toaster, etc.

The separate bedroom is very large with a nice closet, lots of drawers, huge safe, flat screen tv, doorwall out to the huge balcony, and plenty of extra towels and sheets.

The shower and toilet are in a separate room and just outside is a huge area with 2 sinks, dryer, and storage drawers.

The oversize balcony has a table, plenty of chairs, and an incredible view of the pool, bay, boats, and sunset.

Our room was thoroughly cleaned and soap, shampoo, towels, etc. were replenished daily.

The pool, swim up bar, beach, and casino are small but nice.

The manager’s cocktail party was fun and included complimentary beer, rum punch, and entertainment.

Restaurants and bars we enjoyed: Little Jerusalem, Pizza Galley, Karakter, Lal’s, Pineapple Peats, The Greenhouse, Dinghy Docks, and Lee’s.

We always rent a car so we can explore the island and visit different beaches and casinos. We paid $120 for the week, including taxes, through Payless which is very close to the villas.

We enjoyed 2 days at Orient Beach (Orange Fever and Waikiki), one at Dawn Beach (Busby’s), Maho Beach to watch the airplanes land and take off, and Karakter Beach.

I would highly recommend the Villas at Simpson Bay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank alwayz_on_vacation
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We spent four excellent nights at the hotel in late November at either end of our cruise on a sailing catamaran around the islands. The suite rooms were very comfortable and we spent splendid breakfast times on our balcony watching the pelicans swooping and diving for fish in the bay outside. The rooms and the maintenance were extremely good and the bed very comfortable. This is a lovely spot with great activity and life to watch with the boats and the sea birds.The swimming pools, shops, and the bars were excellent and the staff always friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed several great meals at the on site restaurants. The one downside was the regularly long queue at the reception desk with a lot of guests in this busy hotel looking for faster service. More slick efficient reception staff are required.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a suite with an ocean view and a balcony
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RichardT870
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed here for a week while on vacation but would not do so again. The staff here are great! Helpful and informative in respects to travel, venues, restaurants, tours, etc. HOWEVER if you run out of towels or toiletries, especially at a certain hour, you're stuck. ROOMS ARE CLEANED ONLY ONCE A WEEK. AND if you would like additional cleanings, they charge $25 with a straight face. Extremely tacky.

Our toilet would not flush and kept backing up. Instead of fixing it, we were told to not put ANY tissue paper whatsoever in the bowl forcing us to have to bring the soiled tissues out into the trash bin in the hallway EACH AND EVERY TIME we used the restroom. Just gross.

As previous reviewers mentioned, the walls are paper thin and you can hear EVERTHING going on above, beside and under your room. It's like the walls are talking.

The staff have their hands tied and are unable to do anything to help, especially after hours.

I would not consider staying here again. It's not as nice as it appears.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond

Been to The Villas at Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!