“Won't Stay On The Dutch Side Again”

The Villas at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
New York
“Won't Stay On The Dutch Side Again”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just got back from my stay in St Maarten.I strongly suggest an upgrade to the villas if possible. We had a junior suite overlooking the marina that was very nice. No problems with the room or the hotel staff. The ameneties at the resort are very played out. I know that they're remodeling and upgrading, and the 4-5 restaurants should be included in the upgrade. This place is sprawling,and each different area has it's own pool. Some larger than others. Our pool was decent size with a swim up bar. Unfortunately there were a few guys that were part of a wedding party, that drank to the point when they didn't know how loud they were spewing vulgarities. I'm in no way a party pooper, but it began to get uncomfortable.
The beach was a few minute walk from the room, and there is no charge for lounges and umbrellas.Definitely tip the guys though.
Probably one of the most enjoyable moments were spent first thing in the morning, on our balcony sipping iced coffee and nibbling on croissants bought within walking distance at Tastee Delite.
Whatever you do on the island... Don't Miss The Bus! One of the only decent spots in Simpson Bay is called Karakter. It's small and can get crowded, but the beach puts the one at the resort to shame, the food is spectacular( very possibly the best food spot in Simpson Bay ), and it's all served from an old bus right on the beach. It was perfect for us, as we had about 2-3 hrs to kill before our flight. I only wish I had found it days sooner.
Simpson Bay bars and restauraunts are Americanized and dumpy. I was suspicious when I could only find good breakfast spots on TripAdvisor, Frommers and Fodors in Simpson Bay. Definitely go to the next town over( Maho). it's a whole different feel. I suggest Bamboo Bernies for dinner and his sky lounge, on the rooftop.
If I come back to the island, I'll stay on the french side. It's a bit run down but it's got personality and some of the best eating spots on the island right on Grand Casse Blvd. If you get there on Tuesdays, they have what they call Harmony. It's a cultural parade with music and dancing on Grand Casse Blvd, and the local artists and vendors line the blvd selling their goods. I'd highly recommend the women making the home made churned ice cream. her coconut ice cream was a killer! The best!
Oh, one last thing. Stop at Serafina cafe in Marigot( french side) for a salad and an iced coffee with fresh whipped cream. Yummy!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 714chasethewind714

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Turkish first
Melville, New York
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family and I just returned yesterday from our stay at Simpson Bay. We stayed in the villas in a junior suite. The room was beautiful. We had absolutely no problems with any of the staff. Contrary to other reviews I found everyone I dealt with to be extremely helpful and courteous. There really isn't a need to rent a car as everything is within walking distance. As it is a time share, don't expect daily maid service. However they will come in and clean during your stay. We did a snorkeling trip on the Lambada and the sunset dinner cruise on the Tango. Both trips were booked through Aqua Mania on site at the resort. The crews we're fantastic! We had a great time on both. We will absolutely be returning to St. Maarten and will book at Simpson Bay again. I can't say enough good things about how we were treated by everyone while we were there.
Heather B.
Long Island, NY

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank HeatherB4838315
N.J.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I just returned. The wife and I had great time again. Everybody on the beach was nice and also every employee that I need any service from. I'll be back again next year. The only dealings I have with the front desk is when I check in and out and never have any problems. Most of the time a cab is at the door if you need one. Also this is the Villas not the old Pelican but everybody I take with from that section was very happy. I would highly recommend this resort. With or without a rental car.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tommy3
NJ
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife, myself and two twenty year old children just spent a week at the Simpson Bay Villas.. it's our third year there in Simpson Bay... While the room and grounds are fine, the service from the front desk and other areas needs improvement. The front desk staff definitely have a bad attitude and seem indifferent to any request you may have... Example: upon leaving, we requested a cab and were told that we had to give them $10 to hold the cab... I understand the reason for this but the explanation/attitude was not appropriate..

The old Pelican has a history of issues/employee unrest... it might be time to let the employees know that they have jobs due to tourists like us...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Smitty1012
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We travel to St. Martin every year. Usually we stay on the French side but this year we invited our son and his girlfriend to join us so we decided to stay around Simpson Bay area where there is more action for younger adults . We stayed in the Villas (A and B side). Everything was fine with the rooms.
My concern was for all the things that you have to do not to be charged additional fees. During our stay I went to the Villas web site to see what ammenities were available. What they don't list are the fees associated with those ammenities.
You have to sign for beach towels and if you don't present your return receipt at check out you can be charged $25 per towel.
The exercise room was unstaffed when I entered. I hopped on a tread mill and when I finished a lady wanted to know if I had registered. I said I have a room key, she took the key and added a $6 charge to my room. After close inspection I did find a small sign informing you of the charge.
The kitchen area is stocked with dishes and glassware. The problem with that is if you don't clean and put everything away you are charged $75 for the maid to do it.
Most planes flying to the states leave in the afternoon. The Villas require a 10am check out and won't bend at all.
Overall it is nice place but you need to make sure that you know what you will be billed for.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank ny2sxm
Fresno, California
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We booked this hotel about a week before arrival on Hotels.com. It was a perfect "condo" setting for our family of four (we have two college-aged kids). We usually book two adjoining rooms at a resort and this was a great alternative.

We were placed in the newly renovated section. The room furnishings were great - everything clean, new and in good working order. The bay view was wonderful, but it was a 5 minute walk to the beach on the other side of the resort (not a big deal). All three TVs worked (see earlier complaints about satelite connections). Wifi was a bit slow at times but was usually fairly fast in the lobby. The gym was excellent (there was a $6.00 fee for each use) - however a weekly unlimited rate was also available.

The staff was friendly and accomodating. we never waited long for any requests. The area seemed safe - with lots of restaurants a short walk away. About the only complaint was that there is a beach bar nearby that played loud music until quite late each night (1:00 to 2:00 am).

A car is handy, but not at all necessary. It's a $20 cab ride from the airport to the hotel and there are rental car options available in the lobby. We rented a car one day and toured the island, but there are many other options for experiencing things around the island.

This is a time share place - but there was NO pressure. We were politely asked once if we were interested in hearing the presentation (which we declined). We were never bothered again.

Overall a great stay - I would recommend this facility and will stay here again if we return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Mike8834
Weston, Connecticut
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have owned a villa since 1989 and have used it almost every year. there were years I felt the resort was on a downslide, but this past April I was very happily surprised. The resort was well maintained, our villa clean with everything in good working order, the pool and beach were wonderful, the Spa still has the best massages (although the price went up), we had luck at the casino and the restaurants, both at the resort and those within walking distance were delicious. The Island is small and I recommend a car rental. There are so many fabulous restaurants. The drive to Orient Beach is well worth it. If you're a first timer... The road to the Orient public beach is the turn you make to the Butterfly Farm. My only disappointment - I love daily maid service and the resort only provides one mid- week cleaning.

Room Tip: The Villas (sleep six) are right on the beach with the pool (floating bar) and Spa just steps from y...