“If you want a terrible night, this is the place!”

Rancho Steak & Lobster
Ranked #50 of 115 Restaurants in Simpson Bay
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have no words enough to translate the horrible night I had.
First of all, what an unpleasant waitress! I came looking for a lobster and asked: "Is this lobster grilled?" and she said: "It's live lobster"
I was like... Ok... That's not what I asked. And then asked the price of the lobster plate, she said 29.90, or something like this.
My girlfriend is VERY allergic to lobster, shrimp and seafood in general, so she asked for a steak.
Ok.... We saw a lazy cockroach (but big) wandering around, but, since the restaurant is located above a pier we though that was unlucky and let it pass...

When our plates came, the food was ok, but two bites into the steak, my girlfriend started to choke and feel her throat closing. She was having an ALLERGIC crisis.

I asked the waitress if they grill the lobster and the steak in the same girll, and she said yes, and accusingly told my girlfriend that she had had to tell them she was allergic! SHE ASKED FOR A STEAK! HOW IN THE HEEL YOU GRILL A STEAK WITH THE LOBSTER IN THE SAME GRILL?????

Hurriedly I asked for the check to take her back to the hotel to take her medicine and that was another surprise, the lobster platter was 50 USD... The pleasant lady forgot to tell me that they sell lobster by pound! I'm a tourist, i'm not supposed to know this... But in the hurry I never complaint... I JUST WANT TO GET OUT OF THERE!!!

Fortunately they didn't charge for the steak... BUT CHARGED FOR THE SIDE ORDER!!!

So... i'm telling you... If you want a terrible night, just go to that place!!!

3  Thank Jorge P

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Beautiful place and the food was good, but we had the very first "unfriendly" waitress on the island...no smiles no small talk all business...seemed she was doing us a favor...since 15% tip was already added, that wasn't an issue, however, we usually leave an additional tip on island because the staff, most places is so very friendly and helpful...not
here!

1  Thank jjiggers
BalyDesigns, Guest Relations Manager at Rancho Steak & Lobster, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear jjiggers,
Thank you for your review and we're glad you liked our food. We take service just as seriously as the quality of our food and we're sincerely sorry about your experience. If you wouldn't mind, could you please provide a brief description of the waitress in question?

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Good service, nice steaks! Service is great. Staff is always smiling! Been here twice during our one week stay on the island, simply because we think it was the best place (price/quality).

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Went with friends to Rancho's for Dinner. Had awesome steak. Nice chimisomething sauce. Loved the flan for dessert. Great music & dancing. Bit loud but the wine helped. We had a great time.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

So it has been a while since I been to Rancho, and after living on the island for 5 years, the experience keeps getting worse and worse. I recently visited again and as I entered the restaurant the nightmare began. I stood at the entrance and all 3 of the waiters stood watching me from the bar until the supervisor came over, walked past me without a greeting and told "me find a seat anywhere you want and we'll find you." So took a seat at the back only to be SWARMED with mosquitos!
When the waitress arrived to present the menus, i noticed the menu was almost cut in half and my favorite plate was no longer there.
So I placed my order, asked what sauces do I get with my steak.. off the bat she told me the sauces are $3 dollars extra... Since when?!

So i asked ok,,, do I still get a side salad with my side dish for a meal that is costing me $64?.. She said not anymore.... Ordered 2 sprites... got 1 can shared between two glasses, and that cost me $4 when a can of sprite cost $1 in the shop just on the next side of the street.

Then after the supervisor saw me question the waitress, he asked her what was wrong or about my complaint,,, he simply shook his head and had an "they are stupid forget about them" type of facial expression..

The steak tasted excellent I must say...

But for the price and service, it totally is not worth it... Sorry Rancho you used to be my favorite,, but not anymore..

1  Thank pilotboy23
BalyDesigns, Guest Relations Manager at Rancho Steak & Lobster, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Pilotboy23,

Thank you so much for rating our steak as excellent. The only Dish that we serve that costs 64$ is The Best of Both Worlds (for two) and consists of the Ultimate Trio with 3 Prime Cuts. It is one of our best sellers. It no longer comes with an extra side of salad for two reasons: we only buy the best steaks available on the market that come from free grazing cattle and is not genetically manipulated; this is of course costly and we did not want to up our prices as we ended throwing most salads away as our guests seem to prefer French Fries, Baked Potatoes or Rice. And your plate includes two sides of those choices.

The only plate we no longer have listed on the menu is the Prime Rib but we still carry it for all our guest who have a craving. Our sauces were never free. In fact we have lowered them to 3$. All soda cans cost 3$ not 4$. Also there might have been a little misjudgement about the exchange between your waitress and the supervisor as we do not have any male supervisors on our staff.