“Never going Again”

Rancho Steak & Lobster
Ranked #50 of 111 Restaurants in Simpson Bay
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
St. Maarten
“Never going Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

So it has been a while since I been to Rancho, and after living on the island for 5 years, the experience keeps getting worse and worse. I recently visited again and as I entered the restaurant the nightmare began. I stood at the entrance and all 3 of the waiters stood watching me from the bar until the supervisor came over, walked past me without a greeting and told "me find a seat anywhere you want and we'll find you." So took a seat at the back only to be SWARMED with mosquitos!
When the waitress arrived to present the menus, i noticed the menu was almost cut in half and my favorite plate was no longer there.
So I placed my order, asked what sauces do I get with my steak.. off the bat she told me the sauces are $3 dollars extra... Since when?!

So i asked ok,,, do I still get a side salad with my side dish for a meal that is costing me $64?.. She said not anymore.... Ordered 2 sprites... got 1 can shared between two glasses, and that cost me $4 when a can of sprite cost $1 in the shop just on the next side of the street.

Then after the supervisor saw me question the waitress, he asked her what was wrong or about my complaint,,, he simply shook his head and had an "they are stupid forget about them" type of facial expression..

The steak tasted excellent I must say...

But for the price and service, it totally is not worth it... Sorry Rancho you used to be my favorite,, but not anymore..

1 Thank pilotboy23
BalyDesigns, Guest Relations Manager at Rancho Steak & Lobster, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Pilotboy23,

Thank you so much for rating our steak as excellent. The only Dish that we serve that costs 64$ is The Best of Both Worlds (for two) and consists of the Ultimate Trio with 3 Prime Cuts. It is one of our best sellers. It no longer comes with an extra side of salad for two reasons: we only buy the best steaks available on the market that come from free grazing cattle and is not genetically manipulated; this is of course costly and we did not want to up our prices as we ended throwing most salads away as our guests seem to prefer French Fries, Baked Potatoes or Rice. And your plate includes two sides of those choices.

The only plate we no longer have listed on the menu is the Prime Rib but we still carry it for all our guest who have a craving. Our sauces were never free. In fact we have lowered them to 3$. All soda cans cost 3$ not 4$. Also there might have been a little misjudgement about the exchange between your waitress and the supervisor as we do not have any male supervisors on our staff.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Great place, good prices for the quality, and awesome atmosphere. Went there for my 25th bday and had a great time. One thing I would say is that the servers need to check on the tables more often, once we got our steaks it wasn't until we were almost finished did a server come over. But that's the only recommendation I'd give, everything else was awesome.

1 Thank Tony W
Warwick, Rhode Island
“Very good food and great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Rancho is an Argentine steak house that shares their roof with a tex mex restaurant Tequila. You can order from either menu. We've eaten at Rancho several times. This visit I ordered from the tex mex menu and my wife from the Rancho menu. We were both happy with our meals. Service was just OK. Prices are moderate. It is a great space with crazy high cathedral ceiling/roof. The night we were there a Latin singer performed. She was a great addition. Being on the lagoon also helps the atmosphere.

1 Thank David M
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Average review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I guess I am repeating other comment by calling them average. Food was middle of the road, wine was below par, pricey but acceptable, service ok, atmosphere was ok but we had a nice dockside vie of the yachts. This is our first visit in 20 some trips to SXM so I cannot poo-poo tha for offseason service.

Steaks were good, potato was good, spinach was excellent, cream brûlée was average. Wine was affordable but marginal taste. Easy Thursday night parking. An Average outing overall.

1 Thank oldstocks
Myrtle Beach
“Great dining experience in SXM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

From the minute we walked in, greeted with smiles, music and fantastic service. Then our food arrived, Filet and Mahi Mahi, presentation and taste were spot on. They even cooked my steak perfect. Thanks you for a wonderful dining experience.

1 Thank tedagidd26