“Great Atmosphere - Average food”

Rancho Steak & Lobster
Ranked #47 of 115 Restaurants in Simpson Bay
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The atmosphere (decoration, music and lighting) was wonderful and not what you expect from the outside of the restaurant. The food however has much to be desired. It was average at best. A member of our party was served frozen lasagna. Yes, it was piping hot on the outside but frozen on the inside. Take your chances. I would recommend this restaurant if you have going for drinks only (there is a nice lounge area).

Reviewed February 20, 2013

After some friends recommended this restaurant to us we looked forward to a nice evening, good food and a nice atmosphere, unfortunately this was not the case at el Rancho. Our table was not cleaned properly and was sticky, even after the waitress wiped it down for us. After receiving our drinks and a small starter we had to wait for more than an hour for our main meal to arrive, we complained several times to the waitress about this and people that had arrived after us actually received their food first, much to our annoyance. The staff only seemed to take us seriously when we said we would leave if our food was not served immediately. When the food finally arrived it was nothing special, bland and quite expensive for what it was, a lump of meat and French fries with no garnish or salad. The restaurant was not even half full so I could not see any reason for the long wait or the waitress’s insistence that the kitchen staff were very busy. This restaurant really needs to improve its service if it intends to stay competitive.

BalyDesigns, Guest Relations Manager at Rancho Steak & Lobster, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear John,
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for your disappointing experience. You unfortunately visited our restaurant during a transformational period where everything was being changed and upgraded from decor to staff. We are well aware that from Jan to early March, our service did not match what patrons have come to expect from Rancho. I hope that you will one day give us another chance as we are now operating on all cylinders and that can be verified by our latest reviews.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I happened upon this restaurant during our first visit to St Maarten 2 years ago and it was fantastic! We made a point of going again last year and it was just above average. Thinking this may have been a fluke, we tried again this year and it was awful! $30 for a ribeye that was this extremely thin piece of beef (although the jury was out on whether or not that was beef). Husband paid even more of a t-bone that was more grizzle than meat. Bake potato was hard as a rock. Can't say we didn't try to give them the benefit of the doubt after last year. Won't waste our time/money again.

2  Thank DeAnna A
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Not only was the food good, but the restaurant was beautifully decorated. We had a seat by the window facing the water, but I wanted to look around at the different seating arrangements. I was with a friend but would like to go back with my husband. Warm and comfortable environment, good service and reasonable prices. Nice experience. Dessert was amazing; the best tiramisu I ever had. I would definitely return.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have eaten dinner here twice now and both times the food was very average. The portions are a good size and the chicken and steak were decent quality but don't expect anything amazing. The restaurant is a big open room which could be nice but smells a bit dodgy. They had a live latin band both times we went which gave the place a bit of atmosphere. Service was fine, not bad, not great. I might go back if there is a special or deal price but otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.