“Hidden Gem in the old Pelican/Simpson Bay resort”
Review of Bon Appetit

Bon Appetit
Ranked #20 of 112 Restaurants in Simpson Bay
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Bon Appetit is a beautiful little French restaurant located in the heart of Pelican Key in the Simpson Bay Resort. Located directly across the street from the Hollywood Casino parking lot and The Red Piano. Opened in December 2009 serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner Bon Appetit offers a wide variety of classic American breakfasts in the morning, gourmet sandwiches at lunch, and classic French Dishes and vibrant daily specials in the evening. The restaurant opens daily at 7 AM with fresh pastries, breakfasts, and coffees for dine in or takeaway. Breakfast is available daily until 2 PM. After a morning on the beach get out of the sun and come in for a light lunch and a refreshing cocktail. As the sun sets Bon Appetit is just getting started with live entertainment starting nightly at 6:30 PM featuring a wide variety of entertainers playing a great variety of songs perfect to complete the atmosphere for a fantastic dining experience. Every evening Bon Appetit offers a list of fresh specials from classic French dishes to Caribbean classics with a French twist. To compliment the food, Bon Appetit also offers a superb wine list boasting a selection of wines from all over the world. For the cocktail drinker Bon Appetit also features a fantastic specialty cocktail list. The cocktail list has many classic drinks as well as great house specialties like our Kettle One Mango Martini and our House signature French Champagne Martini. Come in and enjoy our fantastic food, entertainment, service, and ambiance right on your doorstep. Bon Appetit is open from 7 AM daily until at least 10:30 PM during the week and 11 PM on weekends.
MA
“Hidden Gem in the old Pelican/Simpson Bay resort”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We have been coming to Simpson Bay Resort for many years now and have always overlooked Bon Appetit. This time we tried it with our guests on their last night. What a pleasant surprise. Great selection on the menu, from steaks, fish, pizza, pasta and salads. We are big eaters, so don't judge. We ordered escargot (12) served with garlic and butter sauce. We used the delicious french bread to soak up the left over goodness. We ordered the baked french cheese, essentially baked brie, served with garlic toast points ($12). Hubby and I split a caesar and it was big enough. Our two guests got individual salads which they both enjoyed. Reasonably priced wine menu. Hubby ordered the mixed grill, flank steak, ribeye and pork filet. It was delicious. I stole a lot from his plate. I believe this was $26, a real deal on the island. I ordered a rack of veal off of the special menu. It was well executed, but I didn't like it. More personal taste than in preparation. Our guests ordered the rib eyes ($26) and they were served with french fries and ratatouille. Too stuffed for dessert, but they had all the standards, crepes, chocolate lava cake, creme brullee, etc. Make reservations, they often turn people away. It is mostly outside seating. Service is a bit slow, but there is a musician to make the time pass, plus you should relish your company and linger over your food. It is better for your mind and spirit. We will be going back again tomorrow night, it was that good. 4 dinners, three salads, two appetizers, 2 mixed drinks, 3 glasses of wine, a sprite, bottled water came to $193 without tip. Good value. Oh, P.S., they have fresh pastries in the morning, chocolate croissants, apple turnovers, plan croissants, baguettes. It is worth the walk, however, the minimum credit card charge is $15 so bring some cash.

• Visited March 2014

VA
“Good food in a not-so-hot location”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Ambiance is not to be found here but good food is. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all good. The red snapper is a particular favorite here. The wait staff is personable and the prices reasonable. Despite the location at the intersection of two busy roads in the Pelican resort, this is an enjoyable place for a meal.

Visited March 2014
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Disasterous Disappointment”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

After reading positive reviews and checking out their website I decided to have dinner here on my final day in St. Maarten as a sweet grand finale - unfortunately it turned out to be the biggest mistake.

I arrived a little after 7pm and was told by the hostess that they were having "a problem" in the kitchen. Though she couldn't tell me exactly what their problem was, she went on and said "You can start with drinks & dessert!" with a big smile. I was not about to start my dinner with dessert, but since I already had my mind set for good French meal I decided to stay and wait with dozen other guests until they fix their 'problem.'

I ordered a beer and asked for a glass of water, but the waiter brought a bottle of Fiji; when I asked again for just a glass of tap water, not a bottle of Fiji, he insisted they did NOT serve tap water for no good reason - well, fine then. Never been told that before, but fine.

During the next 40 mins as I patiently sat at the table with my beer and waited, waited, and waited, a large group finally gave up and left, followed by several more disappointed guests because they still couldn't fix their 'problem' in the kitchen.

I asked one of the waiters how much longer I would have to wait to have my order taken but he still didn't know for sure. When I suggested "maybe you should start offering guests complimentary drinks or half-priced appetizers for the long wait" the waiter was clearly offended and rudely said "YOU CAN HAVE THAT BEER!" - What a drama...for a $3.50 beer?

Another 15 mins went by and finally, a waitress came over and advised me the kitchen was ready so I ordered Yellow Fin Tuna. My dinner (six slices of seared tuna with rice & ginger) looked and tasted fine, but not as fantastic as I hoped after such a long wait. I was shocked when I found a short dark "hair" in the ginger bowl. What's even more shocking was the waiter's reaction. The same waiter who gave me a free beer & attitude didn't want to be bothered with my issue. When I said "Excuse me, there is a hair in ginger" he DIDN'T EVEN look at it and, without skipping a beat, exclaimed "It's a seaweed." Unbelievable. I told him I spent 20 years in Japan and I know what seaweed looks like- and this is NOT a seaweed. To make things even more gross the hair looked like it came from somewhere other than one's head, sick.
The waiter offered no appology, just stood there - so I asked him to please take it away. He then asked "Would you like some dessert?" Are you kidding me!?

I travel a lot, dine out a lot, domestically & internationally. This was the MOST INSULTING & DISGUSTING dining experience, EVER. I understand things don't always go perfect, non-functioning kitchen or a bug/hair in food, under/overcooked food etc - I get it. What matters is how you handle the situation to fix the problem and make it right - have customer's back. If you can't be bothered to attempt, or offer simple appology, do us a favor and get out of hospitality business, please.

• Visited February 2014
silver spring, md
“Great outdoor dining location, very good food, slow service”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My wife and I ate breakfast at this place 3 times during our week vacation at Simpson Bay Resort. It has a great location for having breakfast outside - you can enjoy people-watching and, in our case, our many friends (we vacationed with 5 other couples) often spotted us while on their walks and joined us. Among other items, we tried their eggs Benedict, French toast, and omelets - all were very good. We always enjoyed having a Veuve Cliquot mimosa or two with our meal. The service is the only negative as it was very, very slow and we often had to go inside to fetch our waiter for coffee refills or utensils that had been forgotten. The prices are a little on the high side, but the location and the our enjoyment of eating outside made this restaurant well worth the price.

• Visited February 2014
sc
“Great gem right off the beach”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We ate here almost everyday. Great breakfast, lunch or dinner. Fresh food, large portions, reasonably priced. Friendly service and variety on the menu.

Visited March 2014