“Sunset Cruise with a Taste of History”

Passaat Classic Schooner
More attraction details
Owner description: Passaat is a schooner built in 1911 & 100ft long. If it is for a days sail, sunset or dinner cruise, she provides the perfect sailing experience. Join us for a cruise along the St.Maarten coast. We have no music aboard except for the wind in the sails & water against the hull. Relax & enjoy sailing, gourmet Caribbean food & cocktails in great company.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Michael, from the Azure Hotel, set this up for us, and it was awesome! The served tapas (finger snacks) and drinks as they sailed around the west side of the island so we could enjoy the sunset. Unfortunately for us, it was cloudy, so we didn't get a true sunset, but the sight of the sun, behind the clouds, as it lowered was spectacular. I'm a writer, so the history of the Passaat was extremely interesting to me. The schooner was built in 1911, and was actually confiscated by the Germans during WWII for spotting Allied warplanes. The window in the top of the cabin made this easy. But it's got a lot more history, so if you go to St. Maarten, you have to take one of their cruises!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Sunset cruise...quiet and comfortable and relaxing. Owners are delightful and the food was good and all homemade.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

My friends and I wanted to get away from the crowds so we booked a lunch cruise on the Passaat. What a great decision that was! We were greeted at the yacht club by Mirien and whisked away in a little rubber skiff to the yacht where we were warmly welcomed aboard by Capt. Peter. Once settled, we were offered drinks and given a nice little history of the boat. We had a flawless day to be on the water and the visibility was good. Capt. Peter pointed out all the interesting landmarks as we made our way to Long Beach. The sound of the wind and water set the mood..no loud music. Once anchored at Long Beach people enjoyed snorkeling or just relaxing on board. A terrific home-cooked lunch was served complete with wine before we began our journey back to the yacht club. A fun time was had by all! I'll definitely do this again!

4  Thank Diana P
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked a sunset cruise on the Passaat because it was recommended at our hotel. We arrived early and had a drink at the Yacht Club (loved that place too). Once we were on the boat there were more drinks and a very friendly family that was also celebrating a birthday. As we sailed we were offered very tasty snacks and drinks. The sunset was beautiful, the staff on the boat were very friendly and we would definately go back again.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I took the Sunset Cruise on the Passat last week. Miriam met us at the little open air bar at St Maaren Yacht Club (where btw the bartender from Amsterdam was delightfully friendly, and made us a couple of awesome drinks!) Miriam has a very warm personality. She popped us into her little rubber motorboat and we zipped under the draw-bridge over to where the good ship Passat was moored. It is a lovely ship !! My only disappointment was that I couldn't get a good photo of it before we boarded, because the sun was in the viewfinder. Anyway, we boarded the ship and were invited to walk around and make ourselves comfy. There was no big fussy Muster Station Drill or anything. We were told where the life jackets were and off we went on our merry way. Miriam offered us open bar choice of beer, rum punch, or soft drinks. Later she came around with trays of delicious home cooked appetizers. Drinks were refilled any time. The scenery was lovely and the ship was very comfortable. The entire 2 hour cruise was de-vine. I felt it was the highlight of our entire 10 day St. Maarten vacation. We are going back in March and we are definitely going again on the Passat. Thanks so much Miriam and Peter!