“Ocean Explorers in St. Martin”

Ocean Explorers Dive Center
Ranked #2 of 39 Tours in Simpson Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: At Ocean Explorers we believe that who you dive with is as important as the diving itself… Small groups, personalized attention and a relaxed atmosphere are what we offer on a daily basis. From outstanding reefs to fantastic wrecks, our waters are warm and inviting and the marine life abundant and friendly. Our Caribbean dive shop is located under the waving palms by this tranquil Kim Sha beach on the beautiful Caribbean island St. Maarten.
Reviewed March 1, 2010

I was last week in St. Martin and did 10 dives with Ocean Explorers. The staff was very friendly and professional. I did also the shark dive that was my favorite. I would recommend them with the guarantee that you will be happy with the results.

1  Thank dfranck

Reviewed February 25, 2010

I highly recommend Ocean Explorers for diving St. Maarten! Friendly, knowledgeable staff, small boats (6 divers total on the day I went), great dive sites, and cruise ship friendly!

My boyfriend and I dove in St. Maarten on Feb 10 and had a really wonderful time. We were coming off a cruise ship and the staff of Ocean Explorers was very accomodating of our itinerary. I chose to book with them rather than with the cruise ship operation because of their small boat, and I was very happy that I did so! Ocean Explorers offered very personalized and friendly service.

Pre-dive: I received prompt and informative email replies from the very helpful Luciana while planning the trip. Once in St. Maarten, we took a taxi ($15 for a 20 min ride) from the cruise ship dock to the dive shop and arrived around 8am.

Dive #1: Really neat wreck with some cool swim throughs. We saw a few stingrays, an awesome bearded fireworm, and a variety of fish. We basically went at our own pace, with the only stipulation being that we kept the dive master in view. Max depth was ~60 ft at the bottom of the wreck, dive time 45 min. We then took a 45 min surface interval on the boat -- water bottles were provided.

Dive #2: This reef dive, which was called "lobster hotel", lived up to its name. We saw three huge lobsters and a baby one as well. Lots of other cool stuff too, including a brittle star, cleaner shrimp, a flounder and more stingrays. Again, the dive was very relaxed, with one of the dive masters showing us around for the first 10 min or so, and then letting us explore for the rest of the time. Max depth was ~50 ft, dive time ~45 min. Really enjoyable dives! We were back at the shop around noon.

I can't say enough good things about Ocean Explorers! We will definitely dive with them next time we are in St. Maarten!

They sent me this video after our trip, so I thought I'd include the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX2LtJzZQsc

1  Thank kamaaina_cutie
Reviewed February 22, 2010

While in St Maartin, I decided to go diving and found Ocean Explorers without doing much research into the company. I did not have a lot of time to devote to diving so I had to make a decision about it. To facilitate this, I stopped by the dive shop and talked to them and found about about the group sizes and planned dives. Great dive shop location, very convenient. They do dives just about every day and group sizes are small, so I liked the flexibility of the schedule and the size of the dive group. I reserved a spot on a wreck/reef and shark dive. It was GREAT! The experience exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend this dive company to anyone visiting St Maartin who is interested in diving. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff, highly experienced in the local waters. When I return to the island I will definitely go on more dives with them.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

I have been diving with Jeff and Luciana for many years, even before they owned Ocean Explorers. They are great dive masters, have up to date equipment and are knowledgeable about the best sites.
The best for me is that I am 88 years old and now need a little land side help getting on and off the boat.. They are very accommodating to me, and to all of their customers.
For new divers, old divers like me, or for experienced divers, also like me, Ocean Explorers is your best bet on Saint Maarten.

Reviewed February 14, 2010

My husband and I dove with Ocean Explorers in November, 2009. What a superb experience! Jef and the entire crew were very knowledgeable and attentive. We had so much fun on the two-tank dive, we decided to go back for a night dive and a shark dive. It was my first night dive, and it was absolutely amazing! The bioluminescence was breathtaking, resembling icicle lights. In fact, the dive master, Rich, mentioned he had never seen so many before. There are no words to adequately describe the shark dive. It was the first for both of us, and we were completely taken with the beautiful animals. Jef shared a lot of fascinating information about the creatures before the dive, and once we were under water, he ensured we all had very safe, close encounters with them. My husband and I will definitely dive with OE again when we return to St. Maarten.

1  Thank DE_Diver_Doll